Beginners and Beyond

Unlimited BEER thread. Who's game? (Read 199 times)

Love the Half

I've had Third Shift.  It's one of the BMC "crafty" products (i.e. they don't go out of your way to let you know it's brewed by Coors).  It reminds me of the BMC crafty products as well.  Nothing awful but nothing special either.  In the words of one of the guys at Beer Advocate, it's a "hesitant pull of the trigger."  That's understandable from a marketing standpoint.  They're trying to please drinkers in all 50 states and not be off-putting to anyone unlike, for example, North Coast Brewing with their Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout which will apologetically kick your ass and send your typical BMC drinker heading for the nearest sink to spit it out.

In a way, it's a shame that the mega brewers won't go out on a limb with any of their brews.  Given the standardized production methods they can bring to a product, they could produce a high quality brew and distribute it nationally even if it wouldn't appeal to the Miller Lite crowd.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Tonight I have some Blue Moon Agave Nectar(with the green label). Nothing too special, but it's nice.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Going to Hofbrauhaus tomorrow for DD birthday.  (Rosemont, not Munich).  Probably will have the dark beer.

Chasing the bus

Where did everyone go?!

Drank most of a six pack of King St. (local brewer) Irish Stout by myself over the last week. Really nice irish style I could drink every day (I pretty much did!). It's what guiness wishes it was.

Rumor that Anchorage Brewing is releasing Berserker Imperial for 2013 this week or next...that will be a must-aquire.

Have a good weekend all!

John

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
          Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Dad on the run.

Grocery store got in some new beer from company called left hand brewery. Picked up their milk stout, I though it was quite the enjoyable drink. Don't think I could drink more than 2 or 3 though.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Love the Half

Mmmm.  The Left Hand Milk Stout is a great brew.

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

hog4life

Brad, I am wanting to start trying a few of these beers that you and others have mentioned. Is there a place where you have compiled a "list" of the good ones. I'm too lazy to read through 20+ pages to find them.

Love the Half

Brad, I am wanting to start trying a few of these beers that you and others have mentioned. Is there a place where you have compiled a "list" of the good ones. I'm too lazy to read through 20+ pages to find them.

I don't have a list on here although I did start keeping track at the beginning of this year on untappd.com.  Mostly, I look up beers on beeradvocate.com and I'm willing to buy anything with a rating over 80 unless it has coffee in it as I hate coffee.  I also tend to follow the seasons.  In the fall, I'm looking for malty beers like Marzens, Dopplebocks, and maybe some dry stouts or a milk stout.  As the weather turns cold, I look to winter warmers which are darker lagers or ales with spices as well as big imperial stouts.  Porters go well fall or winter.  In the spring, I move into hoppier beers like IPA's although I try to find well balanced IPA's rather than pure hop bombs.  Wheat beers are good for spring or summer.  French and Belgian farmhouse ales are terrific spring and summer beers as well.  In the seriously hot weather, nothing beats a clean lager such as a Sam Adams or an English Pale Ale.

Certain styles I find appropriate any time such as European Amber Lager or Trappist Ales.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Mitch, if you look at the top 250 on BeerAdvocate, you kind of get an idea of which breweries are good.  You can click on the brewery name to see all the beer ratings for that brewery.

Got a 6pk of Erie Brewing's "Presque Isle Pilsner" Smile

Apparently Im a sucker for being themed, this beer approaches the wrong side of mediocre.

hog4life

Brad and Jerry, thanks, I'll have a look.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Savoring a Troegs Pale Ale after my 6 mile post thunder storm run.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

StepbyStep-SH

Got a 6pk of Erie Brewing's "Presque Isle Pilsner" Smile

Apparently Im a sucker for being themed, this beer approaches the wrong side of mediocre.

Sounds appropriate for your taper (the beer, not the quality). At least it's carbs.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

LRS

Chasing Muses

I think I've found bliss.. a Sierra Nevada Torpedo (from the pint can of course) followed by a DFH 90 Minute IPA. The refreshing malt from the 90 dances with the bitterness still on the tongue from the Torpedo. If eternal damnation wasn't potentially in the cards, I would try to blend the two in the glass. Just once.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Samuel Adams Oktoberfest is out. Enjoying a couple tonight. Smile

A couple of weeks ago, I was at 7 Bridges Grille and Brewery in Jacksonville, FL. As luck would have it, they were tapping their first Oktoberfest keg that night. It was excellent!

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54