Beginners and Beyond

Why do so many runners frown upon the TM? (Read 237 times)

LRB

Dreamer

You must still be hungry, because you ate the half this time.

Know thyself

Bad Ass

Damn it. I need coffee!

Either that or I'm a TM elite athlete.

You must still be hungry, because you ate the half this time.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Nevrgivup

Thanks for all your thoughtful responses.  After reading through this, I realized how silly I am to care what other people think. If they have something to say than they aren't worth my time anyway.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

YAYpril - B-Plus

A coworker of mine runs sometimes - he's finished 2 HMs. He seriously frowns upon the treadmill and refers to it as "not real running." Screw him - I'd rather run on the TM than not run at all. I don't love it but I watch Netflix on my phone so I stay moderately occupied. I need to use one tonight because it will just be too cold for me (I have lots of cold gear but no face protection). Tonight is 7 miles with hills, so at least I'll get to push a lot of buttons to keep it interesting.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

For me, the treadmill is exceedingly boring. Yes, I can immerse myself in television while I run. Yes, when the weather stinks, I use the TM. Yes, it's convenient and doesn't require a road trip. But given the choice, I'd much prefer running outdoors.

So, I use the TM, but I prefer outside running.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

I cannot stand the TM but I think I am going to make myself learn to like it. I am having a really tough time getting over ITBS, so it is probably a good idea to do a little tredmill running when I am able to tolerate running again....softer surface, no camber, can elliminate hills completely. It would also allow me to do only a few mins of running, then do something else that won't irritate the ITB as much and get a full workout in. Whereas getting all bundled up in winter running layers to go outside for a run that will probably be less than a mile would be a huge pain in the ass and I'd spend more time getting ready than actually running. I'm in no position to EVER criticize how anyone chooses to run. I think it's great if someone is runnibg...outside or the TM. My gym has an individual TV on each TM so maybe with a show to watch it won't be so bad.... we'll see.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Mmmmm...beer

I don't care for running on them, but sometimes you have to (like when I'm out on a ship, or in a hotel and it's over 100* outside).  I'm looking to pick one up to keep in the garage, with a tv on the wall it shouldn't be too bad.  It'll be handy for when the weather is really nasty.

Last week I was able to run for an hour on a tm without music, just staring at the wall.  Can't say it was the most enjoyable experience I've ever had, but at least I got the miles in.

I certainly would never look down on anyone for exclusively training on a tm.

-Dave

My running blog

2015 Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-37 10k | sub-1:23 HM | sub-3 M

Bad Ass

Pfffttt.  I run in that outside all the time.  Just Do It!

I don't care for running on them, but sometimes you have to (like when I'm out on a ship, or in a hotel and it's over 100* outside).  I'm looking to pick one up to keep in the garage, with a tv on the wall it shouldn't be too bad.  It'll be handy for when the weather is really nasty.

Last week I was able to run for an hour on a tm without music, just staring at the wall.  Can't say it was the most enjoyable experience I've ever had, but at least I got the miles in.

I certainly would never look down on anyone for exclusively training on a tm.

Blog

happylily

TM running fits my personality. I like being in control and giving a purpose to each one of my runs. My TM allows me to do that. I have raced in many many different environments and types of weather and have mostly done well enough so far. I can't say that TM training has really had any negative effect on me, if not for the fact that it has made me 100% batshit crazy in the head. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

4 years racing, 16 marathons, 16 BQs     

Butter Tart

I hate running on treadmills.  To me, it's boring & tortuous and I will not do it.  I see treadmill running as being a different activity from outdoor running.  To me, the treadmill is to running what the stationary exercise bike is to riding a bike outdoors.

That said, I don't fault anyone for running on a treadmill.  If you enjoy it, you should do it no matter what anyone thinks.

I agree with this 100%. For me it feels nothing like what running outside feels like, it's a different activity altogether. When I finish a run on a treadmill I don't feel like I've "gone for a run", just like a stationary bike doesn't feel like "going for a bike ride".  The only reason I can occasionally make myself tolerate it is because it will keep me in "running shape" so that I stay fit for what I really want to do, which is run outside.

Bad Ass

That's how I feel.  Especially since the TM is so easy as compared to my outside conditions I don't feel like I've pushed at all.

I agree with this 100%. For me it feels nothing like what running outside feels like, it's a different activity altogether. When I finish a run on a treadmill I don't feel like I've "gone for a run", just like a stationary bike doesn't feel like "going for a bike ride".  The only reason I can occasionally make myself tolerate it is because it will keep me in "running shape" so that I stay fit for what I really want to do, which is run outside.

Blog

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Damn it. I need coffee!

Either that or I'm a TM elite athlete.

I love that gourds TM elite!

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

How does autocorrect make "you're" gourds!

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

MrNamtor

DON'T TREAD ON ME

I can't say that TM training has really had any negative effect on me, if not for the fact that it has made me 100% batshit crazy in the head. Big grin

LOL. I don't even have that excuse.

YAYpril - B-Plus

Bwahahaha!!

How does autocorrect make "you're" gourds!