Beginners and Beyond

Found a way to make long runs fun! (Read 123 times)

Just B.S.

I am a total extrovert in any situation. Just ask RSX. Big grin

I started talking to a young man during my marathon in Ireland around the 32k mark, I could see he

was struggling and wanted to help him. He ended up giving me his good luck charm to thank me

for helping him finish his first marathon.  We exchanged emails and now I have a new friend with

an open invitation to visit Canada, bring his family and stay with us. 

It's just like that where I live and have been brought up. If you are holding a map looking bewildered it won't

be long before someone offers to help you and possibly lead you to your destination. All runners/cyclists/

walkers wave or say hello.

That's  my new friend in my current avi, us finishing the race together.

So yeah, I would say I'm the friendly sort!LOL

Cool stuff, Scap.

I really only get that opportunity during races;  it would be nice sometimes to have company during a more relaxed training run.

I am a total cougar in any situation. 

Fixed this statement, based on the rest of the story. Wink

Dave

Just B.S.

Fixed this statement, based on the rest of the story. Wink

No need to misconstrue my statement.

He is 18 and 4 year younger than my youngest son. I saw a young man in need of help and

having a son who ran his first marathon at 16 I wanted him to succeed and make it to the finish line

(where my husband was waiting after finishing his full) 

My young friend told me he was on the verge of giving up and wouldn't have made it through

without my help. So yes I am friendly and I like to help people too. Wasn't the first time I have

helped someone finish their race and hopefully won't be the last.

LRB

100% extrovert here and Guilty!  I have lost count of the people I have run anywhere from a few random steps with, to miles.  Granted, those runs usually occur at either the trail, a 9 mile out and back (18 total), or on a 6 mile loop at the park.  In either case, there are literally dozens if not hundreds of runners, where during my runs in the neighborhood, this is less likely.

One that stands out was a runner who was training for Columbus this year.  I came upon her as she was walking and made some off-hand comment about getting my ass kicked (which I was).  Apparently, she was too but decided to join me and as luck would have it, we were both running 7:30's that day, she at tempo and me at GMP.  We ended up running 2.5 miles at that pace and talked the entire time as if it were at easy pace.

There are times when I can tell someone does not want to be bothered and in those cases I speak then go along about my business.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

RSX--I actually am in a running club, and I probably should go on some of their long runs.  My schedule for work is kind of weird, though, so I'm out at strange times (midmorning on weekdays) when most teammates can't join me.

Just B.S.--That is SUCH a sweet, cool story!  He clearly appreciated your help and it was a wonderful thing to do... very, dare I say, 'Meb' of you.

LRB--yep, I do get that extroverted vibe from you.  It's amazing, and I often forget, how effort does appear less difficult when running with someone else.  Unless, that is, you don't like/trust them or are competing with them; then I sometimes lose my nerve and my perceived effort level actually goes UP.  So that's a toughie.  It's like with racing, I tend to prefer front of the pack to the back because being around others occasionally distracts me in a detrimental way.  That may be the true test of an extroverted vs. introverted runner; I can chat away on an easy run, but during a race I truly need to focus inward.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've done that quite a bit in the past, but now I can rarely catch up to anyone since 8:15 is faster than my 5K race pace.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

RSX

I am a total extrovert in any situation. Just ask RSX. Big grin

Beth, I always found you to be too reserved. (just kidding)

Scapp, if you aren't always able to make their long runs perhaps send out a group email or FB post etc. on when you can run, at what pace etc. Running partners help me a lot especially when you are on the same page.

RabbitChaser

I've met quite a few people during training runs. I'm normally a shy person, but somehow end up talking to strangers while running. I remember going out for a long run after finishing a 5K and meeting up with a gal who was a physical trainer. She was out running and slowed down and ran about 5 miles with me before our paths changed. It made the run go by quickly amd was a great distraction. About a month ago I met one of the local XC coaches while running at the local park. We ran together for about two miles before I stopped to get water and she continued on her way.

Eric