Beginners and Beyond

What does a 50 mile week look like? (Read 210 times)

Goorun

Look, when you're as old as Goo you there aren't too many options left.  Run a whole bunch or sit around whittling.

GET OFF MY LAWN.

Damn kids.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Goorun

...I will be sending you good vibes for a strong finish and a sub-2:30 (I think that's what you're going for?). Go Canada!!! Go Goo!!! Cool

I'll be lucky to run sub- 2:50 the way my training is going.Sad I might wait till I'm 60 (in October 2014) to win my AG in Boston in 2015.Roll eyes

My first half was almost 2:50 Sad

I'll be lucky to run sub- 2:50 the way my training is going.Sad I might wait till I'm 60 (in October 2014) to win my AG in Boston in 2015.Roll eyes

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

robinde

I know, right?  I hope to say someday, "I'll be lucky to run a sub 3:30 marathon when I'm 60".  I'm 45 now and hope to do sub 2:20 half in April.  It'll be my first.

If you want to stay in 50 mpw range I would recommend something like this :

Mon: 12 Miles (Easy progression run, starting slower than your marathon race pace ending at your 1/2 marathon race pace)

Tue:  day off

Wed: 6 miles (Easy with 6- 10 x 100 meters strides)

Thu:  6 Miles (Progression run starting at your 1/2 marathon race pace ending at your 5k race pace)

Fri:    day off

Sat:   10-12 Miles (same as Monday)

Sun:  16  Miles (Easy long run)

You would do a lot of running in 3 days (Sat - Mon) with the rest of the week recovery + an easy run + a day of faster, but shorter  running.

This is not how I would lay out marathon training ! This is for ultras.

Goorun, I appreciate it.   The only thing I cannot do is take a day off (since I am streaking), but I think if I throw a 2-mile really easy run on Tuesday and Friday, that will meet the 'streak' criteria of running every day, but give me the rest I need.  Thanks again for your advice and I will try out your plan as I prep for upcoming Ultras. :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Goorun

Smile if I run with a backpack carrying weight difference between two of us, I don't think I could beat you. It's all matter of perspective.

It's all good bud.

Smile if I run with a backpack carrying weight difference between two of us, I don't think I could beat you. It's all matter of perspective.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Goorun

Goorun, I appreciate it.   The only thing I cannot do is take a day off (since I am streaking), but I think if I throw a 2-mile really easy run on Tuesday and Friday, that will meet the 'streak' criteria of running every day, but give me the rest I need.  Thanks again for your advice and I will try out your plan as I prep for upcoming Ultras. :-)

2 miles at easy pace would be OK. It might actually help with recovery. One of the training tricks I learned long time ago is if you are tired from hard runs, instead of taking a day off, go for a short, very easy run.

Goorun