Beginners and Beyond

Ya know (Read 71 times)

No more marathons

Now that I'm done with my marathon days, my plan is to concentrate on 5K and 10K.  I've even signed up for some track 800 and 1500 (running in the state senior games - ha)   So I was thinking about coming on here and getting some thoughts on the best training for those events.  But then I realized I already know what is necessary to make improvements in my times - lose weight, run more.  It's that simple and that difficult.

The type of running I do can have an impact, but the simple truth is it's in the miles.

So, thanks all for the good advice you would have offered.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Hip Redux

You're welcome!  Glad to help.

Big grin

No more marathons

You're the best OSKI - couldn't do it without you. 

He's a leaker!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Not a problem.

LRB

I would have said to run a shit load of 200's full bore to work on speed, and an equal amount of 1000's at your 10k pace to work on lactate clearing in order to hold that speed.  But alas, it seems that was your plan all along. 

No more marathons

I would have said to run a shit load of 200's full bore to work on speed, and an equal amount of 1000's at your 10k pace to work on lactate clearing in order to hold that speed.  But alas, it seems that was your plan all along. 

One of the training plans I'm looking at (running planet) had me run 8 X 400 at mile pace on Monday, and 2 X 2400 at 5K pace today.  I made Mondays workout, but no way was 2 X mile and a half at 5K pace going down today.  I made one (just barely) and jogged around for another couple of miles   Friday is supposed to be 8 X 200 @ 400 pace - don't think that's too likely either - but I might give it a shot.

He's a leaker!

Docket_Rocket

Glad to have been of help! 

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

I'm not allowed to talk about weight, here. Others, yes, but not me.  But yeah, running more should help you. And speedwork, don't forget your speedwork!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

No more marathons

I'm not allowed to talk about weight, here. Others, yes, but not me.  But yeah, running more should help you. And speedwork, don't forget your speedwork!

I dropped about 20 for Boston (and then didn't race it - but what a good time (see below) )and have put about 6 back on already.  And even with the 20 I was still 10 above my 1980's racing weight.  So, at least 10 to drop now.  And lots of speed - most 1500 schedules have at least 3 workouts per week.

greeting the girls at wellesley

Greeting the girls at Wellesley

and getting my "reward".

He's a leaker!

happylily

Wow! you were sandwiched, lucky man.  Great weight loss! I bet it's hard when the extra weight has been on you for a few years. I'm lucky that my metabolism refuses to change and I can't seem to be able to gain or lose (unless I run a few weeks in the 80s, then I lose a few pounds).

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

my plan is to concentrate on 5K and 10K. 

Give 'em hell.

<3

Docket_Rocket

bluesky sandwich!

I find it hard to lose weight while running a lot.  I stop running and drop pounds.  In that category, I am of no help.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page