Beginners and Beyond

Race Report and Photos: Run Wild for Brainpower 5K (Read 36 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

Link to report on RW:  http://community.runnersworld.com/displayForumTopic/content/8894175444776130

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION RACE REPORT

This was my 22nd race of 2013. Held on April 6, 2013 at the campus of the University of the Incarnate Word (UIW) in San Antonio. Event benefited the track and cross-country team of UIW for equipment and travel expenses.   A fairly small event - about 70 or so participants - but a nice turnout considering there were 14 other races on Apr 6 in the San Antonio-Austin area, including San Antonio Race For The Cure, which a friend who participated in that later told me there were 40,000 participants!  So that one probably was where most of our local runners were.   For my 5K, I ended up with a clock finish time of 32:46 and a chip time of 32:28.

LONG VERSION WITH PHOTOS

Before The Start

As I only live about 8 miles from UIW, I was able to sleep in a little, especially as it was a 9 a.m. start.  The temp was a pretty low 58 degrees at start time, but the humidity was a whopping 87%. Skies were pretty dark, but we got no rain, although it was quite windy off-and-on.   I got my chip and then took some pre-start photos.  The folks wearing the "Run Wild' shirts have on the race shirts participants got in their goodie bags.

Some of the registration volunteers

race 003

This is Grayson and his "mom."  Isn't that a cool name - Grayson..the preppie dog, lol.   "Hello, I am Grayson.  I graduated from Halifax Dog Prep School and Harvard Dog College." Big grin  Grayson, called "Gray" for short, is a very nice, outgoing friendly dog.

race 001

Grayson and his 'parents'.

race 002

My running friend, Sue.  She is over 455 in dog years and still going strong!

race 010

Running friends Bill and Chris and Bill's son and son-in-law. Gee, I didn't even know Chris was Bill's daughter.

race 012

"El Tigre!" and his family.  "The Tiger" did the whole route in that costume!  Must've been fun in that 87 percent humidity!  But he did great!

race 009

Others waiting for the start

race 013

race 004

race 005

race 006

race 007

race 008

race 011

ON THE COURSE

The course:  2 loops.  We started on asphalt surface near the UIW baseball field; diverted onto some dirt trails, back onto asphalt for a bit; another dirt trail; then asphalt again.

My bud George (white shirt) coming up to Trail 2 of the first loop

race 014

race 015

race 016

race 017

Course volunteers

race 019

Looking back the way I had just come...this is on the second loop. Now here  is how slow I am, lol:  as I was about to finish my FIRST loop and get onto this part of the asphalt to START my second loop, the guy that won the race - in 15-something - PASSED me on his second loop, already heading to the finish line.

race 020

On the first set of trails one more time for Loop 2!

race 021

This young man was funny.  He would run ahead of me, walk when I walked, but would glance over his shoulder to make sure he was still a ways ahead of me, lol.

race 022

Beyond the soccer fields, the trail where we wound around to on this first set of trails. You can just see on the left, the white shirt of a runner way ahead of me on the trail

race 023

After that last photo, I tucked the camera away and ran non-stop to the finish line. As I made the last little 'out-and-back' to turn and head to the finish line, I saw "El Tigre" (the young man in the tiger costume) already on the other side of the cones, WALKING towards the finish.   And he still beat me, lol.  He did do quite a bit of running too on the course, though, and did well.  Congrats, El Tigre!  I came in I don't know how many minutes behind him, finishing myself at 32:28 chip time.

AFTER THE RACE

Yeah, post-race beer sure tastes good!  There was also water, and some fruits, and bean-and-cheese breakfast tacos, and some other kind too, I think.

race 033

I started out with this pretty lady for about the first half-mile. After my first walk break, she handily stayed well ahead of me and finished well ahead of me.

race 024

Award/Medal winners.  El Tigre got one too.

race 041

race 039

race 040

More "Happy Finishers" and Supporters

race 032

race 025

race 026

race 027

race 028

race 029

race 030

race 031

race 038

race 034

race 035

race 036

race 037

EPILOG

Very fun event to do on a Saturday morning.  Nice course - even if it was 2 loops - friendly folks, several post-race door prizes - none of which I won  - nice medals.  Thanks to Run Wild Sports ( a local San Antonio running store) for this event, and to UIW for being our host campus.   Nice prelude 5K to my second 5K of the same weekend, the Doggie Dash 5K on April 7th at McAllister Park.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

YAYpril - B-Plus

Great job, Scotty! Love the pictures as always. Smile

Hip Redux

Great photos and report!

I cannot get over the kid wearing a fur coat for a race in that weather.   Yikes!

Docket_Rocket

Great report!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

This race was probably more fun than the one with 40,000 participants.

great job and great photos Scotty.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

Nice job Scotty, and love the pics as always.

Are these guys the Icy Hot Runnaz??

race 026

hog4life

Congrats on #22 Scotty, great report.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Great RR, as usual, Scotty. You are the man!!

You stated:   "there were 14 other races on Apr 6 in the San Antonio-Austin area, including San Antonio Race For The Cure, which a friend who participated in that later told me there were 40,000 participants!" 

....And I thought Va Beach was a running town!  14 races ?!    And 40,000 at one event that is not a marathon or half is a massive number!

Nice RR.  Scotty, I am amazed that you can do the run AND take pics at the same time Smile

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

GinnyinPA

Nice race report Scotty.  I would have picked the smaller race too.  And you still ended up with beer;-)  All we had was coffee or water at mine.

LRB

Yeah, we're in racing season so it's easy to find events around here too.  I can wait for the 87% humidity though!

Props to the kid for posing in what must've been a drenched tiger suit at the end!  That's one of those "well it sounded good at the time" ideas.  ; )

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Looks like you got photos of all 70 runners. It wouldn't surprise me from seeing the pictures if you had the best course of the 14 races held in the area yesterday. That looks like a beautiful trail for a portion of the race.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Hip Redux

Zelanie

Looks like a fun time!  Love the shade on the course, too!  El Tigre must have really appreciated it!  And Grayson is very cute!

I love the variety of races that you do, Scotty! Congrats on #22!