Beginners and Beyond

Report with Photos: Loteria (Mexican Bingo) 5K Run (Read 33 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO: I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

Loteria (LO-Te-Ria) 5K aka Mexican Bingo - http://huaracheturbo.com/event_loteria_run.php - was my 46th race of 2013.  Just over 400 participants.  Held in San Antonio on the campus of University of Incarnate Word.  Put on by iaapweb.com, an excellent local racing event company. Start time of 8 a.m. - and very hot and humid, about 82 degrees at start time, with 80 percentile humidity.   There were 34 in my age group and I ended up 27 out of 34 in my Age Group (10-year age groups, mine was 50 - 59), finishing in 35:19 chip time. The first 3 guys in my age group all finished in 21-something, we got some speedy old 50+ year olds in San Antonio. The overall winner finished in 15:19.

LONG VERSION WITH PHOTOS

Before The Start

My tech-tee that I chose.  There were several colors and versions to choose from, which was nice, such as El Corazon (the heart), El Soldado (the soldier), etc.   I thought this was appropriate for me.

There were also several different bibs, as you will see from the participant photos.   One of my friends asked my why I had this bib.  I said 'Well, I do like to chase the Great Legs of the ladies, but they didn't have one that said "El Puerco" so I got this one." Joking

Woof! My mate - er, wife, yeah, that's what I meant - Gail (on the right) came out for this one.  Here she is with our friend, Ceci, Race Director and co-owner of iaapweb.com

My very speedy friend, Jim, who does about 7 minute miles.  He won his age group. Next year, I will be in his age group.  So much for medals, lol.

Me and running friends Gene and Loyce.  Gene is pretty darn fast too and finished about 20 seconds or so behind Jim.

Various supporters, participants, vendors, etc., before the start

My friend Sally R., volunteer coordinator extraordinare for San Antonio RoadRunners, our running club.

All these folks ran the whole course in their full costumes.  The 'King" ran the whole way wearing the cape and crown and carrying the scepter and the Native American carried his bow and arrows the whole way too.  And they still finished ahead of me, lol.

"The Sun."  She ran the whole way too in this get up and none of her balloons got popped.  Guess everyone gave her lots of room as she is pretty hot. Wink

Starting area was near this historic bridge on the campus that goes back several years in the history of University  of Incarnate Word.

At the starting area

Loyce and another friend of mine, Theresa

On The Course

We went through a parking lot, turned onto some trails behind the campus, then back on the road for a short bit, then another trail.  A small 'loop-around" on campus roads, then back to the finish on the trails, road, and parking lot we had come out on.  Course was very flat, with the exception of one pretty small incline.  The trails were much appreciated as they provided some shade for part of the way on this hot day.

Follow that Beer Lady, Scottydog! Big grin

By the time I got on this trail, the leader was already heading back to the finish!  We heard the leader bike guy blowing his whistle for all of us to move right, and the lead runner came FLYING by us.  He finished, as said previously, in 15:19.

Mile 2 marker was just past that speed bump on the right.

About a half mile to go...and there goes "Mr. King", cape, crown, and all, beating me to the finish.

Well, I'm still ahead of a few folks coming up from behind me

Gail took these photos of me slogging into the finish....

After The Race

Well, not my best 5K effort but I got it done.  And then continued to sweat like crazy for a long time afterwards, so apologies for the "dream-sequence look" on some of the photos, I kept forgetting at times to wipe my lens before taking a photo.

Post race goodies included Alamo Brewery Golden Ale...yeah, good stuff!

Oatmeal Raisin cookies, courtesy of the good folks at Carrera Races, who also put on a lot of good local events.

Various flavors of ice cream bars, one being sampled here

3 types of breakfast tacos, courtesy of this company

And served to us by these good folks

Various post-race "Happy Finishers", supporters, etc. , some enjoying some of the post-race goodies.

This volunteer (left) was funny.  During the race he took his wine bottle and pretended to be sleeping on a bench  along the course with it, giving the runners a smile and laugh as we passed by.  He then wandered near the end of the trail just before the finish and cheered in lots of folks.

EPILOG

This is the 2nd year for this event being done and I've done both, so I'm on  a streak.  I will continue to do this one, very fun event, and Ceci and her family and iaapweb.com folks always do a great job.   There was some post-race music and line dancing too, which Gail participated in, she is a very good dancer.  Me, not so god...cuz being a dog, you see, I have 2 left feet. Wink  Nice venue, lots of post-race goodies, lots of fun.   Hope this one continues to grow, it is a good race.

That's all for now, end of report.   I hope it was......

DOGGONE good for you!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

That is one seriously fun looking run.  And Beer Salt there ta boot?

Beer

Tacos

ice cream

cookies

Once again.....I'm convinced San Antonio is the running Mecca of the world.

Cool

Randy

Docket_Rocket

Looks like a fun event.  Thanks for sharing!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

That looks like a lot of fun.  Seems like many wore the dog bibs, or soldier - not so many with the drunkard ones.  I still can't see drinking beer for breakfast, but when it's that hot and humid, it probably tastes pretty good.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

You worked up a nice lather there Scotty! Nice to see Gail and a lot of your friends. Great costumes out there - gotta get you some dog ears.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Good stuff as usual, Scotty.

I had to google Beer Salt...interesting concept.  I'll keep it out of my IPAs though  Smile

B-Plus

Great work Scotty.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Beer, cookies, costumes, food, and your wife made it out for this one...sounds perfect, but could you find a faster field of runners?  Yikes!

No offense Scotty, but that Indian could have been carrying another runner.  I would not have expected you to catch him.  Great job on getting another race under your belt, and another fun RR.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013