Beginners and Beyond

2013 Go! St. Louis Half Marathon RR (Pics added on 2nd Page!!!) (Read 115 times)

Considering the hills and the heat, that PR improvement is really, reallly good.  BTW, the last photo of you and your son is precious.  Anyone who has had a young child recognizes the curiosity.  Thanks for sharing your RR.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Luke79

Good job FS, and great pics as well.  GJ fighting through the pain on that last mile.

Docket_Rocket

Great job!  Congratulations!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks all again, I plan to have a picture taken of me and my boy with my finishers medal every time. It is a great reminder of why I do things like this and that pain is temporary but the outcome of overcoming pain lasts forever. I saw a boy out there, I'm guessing 9 years old and he was running the Half, he wanted to be out there and he beat me by.... 3 or 4 minutes, I hope I can inspire my little guy when he looks at the pics of me and him after each race.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Awesome job FS.   Your splits look great, like you understood the course and your race and were able to hold it all together.  Keep in mind that races are supposed to hurt, and that you will get pains in your ITB, legs, calfs, etc that you are not familiar with on training runs.  Push thru them if you can and you will be surprised how they go away.  Also consider your fluid intake before the race in hopes of avoiding the pit stop. That also saves you several minutes off the clock, getting you closer to a sub 2:10.

BTW: Your son is so cute, love the pic's

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Awesome job FS.   Your splits look great, like you understood the course and your race and were able to hold it all together.  Keep in mind that races are supposed to hurt, and that you will get pains in your ITB, legs, calfs, etc that you are not familiar with on training runs.  Push thru them if you can and you will be surprised how they go away.  Also consider your fluid intake before the race in hopes of avoiding the pit stop. That also saves you several minutes off the clock, getting you closer to a sub 2:10.

BTW: Your son is so cute, love the pic's

Smile thanks, honestly I think the hills kept my pace close and even. I'd notice that I'd pick up a little on flat or downhill but then slow back to my desired pace uphill. But I also felt  comfortable at the early paces, things got challenging at around mile 9, the heat and the never-ending hills... people weren't kidding when they said it was a hilly course. I'll keep repeating to myself it's supposed to hurt sometimes, lol. Honestly I didn't drink that much before the race trying to avoid a bathroom break, but usually those breaks are early in the race so I think the water and gatorade at fluid stations were part of the stopping at mile 11 and just wanting a second to breath and get myself back together. I'll be more prepared next Half Big grin and thanks for the compliment on my pics.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

SheCan

Nice report, freesoul!   Those hills didn't kick your butt; you kicked the race's hilly butt and ended up with a terrific time!   Way to hang in there, and prove what you can do.   These pictures of you and your son are absolutely precious.  Hopefully one day he'll hang them beside his own race pictures.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Nice report, freesoul!   Those hills didn't kick your butt; you kicked the race's hilly butt and ended up with a terrific time!   Way to hang in there, and prove what you can do.   These pictures of you and your son are absolutely precious.  Hopefully one day he'll hang them beside his own race pictures.

Thanks, I hope to have a room for me and his bibs and medals, and maybe some trophies of his. <3

PRs

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your half and way to persevere to the end through those hills!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Congrats on your half and way to persevere to the end through those hills!

Thank you! I think I am feeling those hills today, but the weather is so nice I am going to go ahead and do an easy 4 miles today.... on a flat route.

PRs

Mostly harmless

I guess I missed seeing this RR last weekend.  Congrats for running a great race on what sounds like a very tough course.  A big PR only a little less than a year after having a baby.  That is an awesome accomplishment!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I guess I missed seeing this RR last weekend.  Congrats for running a great race on what sounds like a very tough course.  A big PR only a little less than a year after having a baby.  That is an awesome accomplishment!

Thank you, even though I told myself after the race I probably wouldn't run it again next yet... I just might do it anyways Smile BUT I do want to do the Southern Indiana Classic Half, which seems to be on the same weekend Sad... maybe I'll be good enough to run both next year lol.

PRs

Mostly harmless

Thank you, even though I told myself after the race I probably wouldn't run it again next yet... I just might do it anyways Smile BUT I do want to do the Southern Indiana Classic Half, which seems to be on the same weekend Sad... maybe I'll be good enough to run both next year lol.

It's funny how we tell ourselves that.  After my first HM in 2010 that I was way under-trained for I said never again. Not just on that course, but I would never attempt a run longer than 3 miles ever. It turns out that wasn't true. I ran the 2011 HM in Baltimore that was pretty hilly and said I would never run that course again.  I ran it last year anyway.  I'm learning that I can't be trusted when it comes to stuff I say right after a race.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol definitely, I think I'll keep my eye on the weather though but there isn't anything I can really do when winter is 40 below and then suddenly it's 65-70 degrees for a race. Other than that it went really well.

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Here the pics I purchased from the race.

Going up Holy Hell Hill

Just before mile 10

Another angel

Crossing the Finish line.

PRs