Beginners and Beyond

Post-marathon/high mileage indulgence; are you still piggin' out? (Read 53 times)

LRB

It has taken a few weeks but I have finally begun to eliminate that extra snack or two between my post-run morning meal and lunch, and all the yummy goodies between lunch and dinner.

Of course this is no fun (in fact it sucks!), but with the holidays bearing down on us and my weekly mileage at a maintenance level, it is kind of important to reign in my appetite so that when for January rolls around, I am not all rolls. You?

onemile

It was bad for the week post-marathon but then my appetite adjusted and I am doing alright now.  Marathon training makes me so hungry and I actually find it easier to control my weight when I am running less.

No more marathons

My last marathon was Boston, and since then I've been injured twice.

But fortunately my weight is only up about 6 or 7 pounds.  But, yeah, it's a struggle.

So many beers waiting to be drunk.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

The first week after was tough as hell, I felt like a total pig. The 2nd week wasn't so bad and by the 3rd week I was "grazing"... but I think it is mainly because I am getting burnt out on the food I used to eat - Salmon and subway, I can't think of anything else I want to eat so I snack/graze on greek yogurt, cinnamon raisin english muffins, salad....  at least I don't feel like a pig now..

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

happylily

I just weighed myself this morning: 105lbs. About 3 or 4lbs over my pre-race weight. It took eating non-stop for the last three weeks, and all the crap you can imagine (chips, cookies, salty nuts, alcohol, etc...) to gain those 4lbs. They say that our metabolisms slow down with age, but mine did not get the memo, apparently. I still burn calories like crazy, even when I'm just stretching on the couch. I hope I can stay at that weight, even after I start training again. I don't want to be thinner. But I need to clean up my diet. Too much salt and fat is really not healthy.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Apparently not pigging out.  For the first time in a year, I am down (you heard me right) 5lbs.  Maybe increasing my caloric intake WAS the answer.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

I have not weighed myself in a couple of weeks but at last check I was up 6 pounds from my pre-marathon training weight.

I am actually okay with that though and will likely stay there as the only place I seem to be able to lose weight from is my stupid ugly face.

B-Plus

I don't need a marathon as an excuse to pig out 

Unless I have time to make an actual dinner, food just sort of happens throughout the day, without defined meals.

When at peak mileage though, there's an almost constant urge to eat.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Fuck weighing myself, I am never, never, ever going to ever weigh myself, ever gain..... Until I notice a a difference in the mirror...... then I might think about it 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

LRB

Fuck weighing myself, I am never, never, ever going to ever weigh myself, ever gain..... Until I notice a a difference in the mirror...... then I might think about it 

Yeah I got on the scale this morning for the first time in a couple of weeks.  Bad move yo, bad move.

Mmmmm...beer

I'm still enjoying it, but I'm only a week out. Smile  Had a Jack in the Box Ultimate Bacon Double Cheeseburger w/ curly fries last night, damn that thing was good!  The beer has been flowing freely as well.

I'll rein it in a lil bit so I don't put on too much weight, but I'm still going to enjoy the holidays, and then after the new year get back at it.  I have set a goal half for April and a goal 10k in May, I want to be in the 160s for both.  It would also be nice to go into my next marathon cycle next summer already at race weight, instead of trying to cut weight and train at the same time, that's tough.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yeah I got on the scale this morning for the first time in a couple of weeks.  Bad move yo, bad move.

Lol, I ain't about to go near it.

PRs

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

+6 lbs above race weight.

+16 lbs above finish line weight.  Wink