Beginners and Beyond

Need honest advice about upcoming 10M race.... (Read 117 times)

Will run for scenery.

I'm a big fan of walking. I walked (a lot) before I ran. With a little practice, 15 m/m is a reasonable pace and it is *way* easier on your body than running. You'll even pass some joggers ! I think that if you can run 6 miles safely, you can add 4 miles of walking with no significant risk. But I would definitely do some training walks first.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Love the Half

I'm a big fan of walking. I walked (a lot) before I ran. With a little practice, 15 m/m is a reasonable pace and it is *way* easier on your body than running. You'll even pass some joggers ! I think that if you can run 6 miles safely, you can add 4 miles of walking with no significant risk. But I would definitely do some training walks first.

I'm not entirely sure I buy that.  I paced a friend to a 4 hour half marathon finish that involved mostly walking and it took me a good week to recover from that.  Bear in mind that my HM running time was under 1:30.  Walking involves different muscles used in different ways than running and if you're not used to doing much walking, it's a bit of a shock to your system.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Bin Running

If you have no pain now, you can run 10M if your LR is up to 6M. Just go easy.

Maybe walk the 1st mile as WU and start slow jog for another 2-3. Crank to LR pace for 5M and cool off with slow jog.. Smile at the camera once you crossed the finish line..  Also stop and walk all water points.

Alternatively, run it scotty's style..

Stop if you are in pain.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Antipodean

I say go for it. It sounds like you are not prepared to risk serious injury so you'll walk/run and drop out if necessary. You need to be able to wear that jacket. But I wouldn't say that if you were planning to race a marathon. I think it is doable without taking much risk. Good luck and please let us know what you do/decide.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thank you for your advice everyone....lots to think about. I appreciate all of your input.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Jess runs for bacon

I second if you are not in pain, run/walk it. Doing that in a a half this weekend myself.

YAYpril - B-Plus

I like the idea of doing it Scotty style. Bring your camera and take lots of pictures!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks guys. I decided to do it. I just finished a 7 mile run at 12:04 average pace. It felt great. Nothing hurt I felt like I could have kept going. So I think with walk breaks, water on the course (I felt really dehydrated by the end....it was hot and humid and that was the only thing that was bothering me what how thirsty I was), and race day adreneline I think maybe I can pull this off and cross  finish still standing.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Runshortii

If you just did 7 miles and nothing hurt and it felt good I say go for it. Just take it easy and do a walk/run combo if you have to.

Docket_Rocket

Great job on the run.  I agree with runshortii.  If you were able to finish the 7, you're ready to finish the 10 miler. Like I said in my prior post, do it at around 12mm rather than your usual and just have fun.

Thanks guys. I decided to do it. I just finished a 7 mile run at 12:04 average pace. It felt great. Nothing hurt I felt like I could have kept going. So I think with walk breaks, water on the course (I felt really dehydrated by the end....it was hot and humid and that was the only thing that was bothering me what how thirsty I was), and race day adreneline I think maybe I can pull this off and cross  finish still standing.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

meaghansketch

Sorry you've had such a hard time the past couple months (and very sorry to hear about your dog-- that is very sad).

It's not an ideal situation, which you know, but people do HMs all the time on a long run of 10 miles, and I don't think your situation (other than one very low-mileage month) is that different, now that you've done 7 miles relatively comfortably and you'll be doing a 10-mile race.

If it were me I'd plan walk breaks from the beginning-- maybe 1 min at the end of every mile.  Run your easy pace and be prepared to adjust even a bit further if it is warm and humid.

Good luck, and hope you have a great race!

MrNamtor

As for going to packet pickup and not racing, I wouldn't wear a jacket of a race I didn't run. Also, I would need to be at packet pickup at 5:45am, not doing that if I'm not racing.

February, March and April were strong running months. Had a few runs of 6 miles, and took over 5 minutes iff my 5K time. It was just May that sucked royally. Nothing  currently hurts. I can run...hamstring is fine, IT band is fine. If I run easy I feel like I can run forever. I akways finish training runs feeling like I coukd have run further and faster. But FOUR miles more....I just don't know

I think you're answering all your own questions here. It's not worth it for the jacket, so that's a non issue. You're only showing up you want to race.

You're currently healthy. Your training cycle, for better or worse and as rough as it was, is over for this race. You're not in pain, and you can run forever at an easy pace. So unless you're super sensitive about your "record", my advice, since you're asking, is just run the race easy. Next race you'll have much better luck and kick it the hell out. And who knows, you might do much better than you even think now.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks runshortii, Docket, meagan and MrNamtor. The encouragement is helpful. I do not care about a slow time on the books, I have no ego about that sort of thing. Even when I am running a fast race for me most would consider it slow anyway lol. I am going to concentrate on restraining myself from the beginning and incorporate walk breaks from the get go to conserve energy for those last 3 unknown miles. I will let everyone know how it goes!