Beginners and Beyond

Arizona Marathon with Pictures (Read 140 times)

SheCan

I ran my first marathon two years ago at the Lost Dutchman State Park in Arizona.  I’d enjoyed the experience so much that I returned to it this week.   The first few miles are over a rural, dirt road with beautiful desert canyons around.

After the race started, I found myself running a bit faster than I really thought I should, but I was convinced that this was just Marathon training magic, and I’d be fine.  Come about mile 17 the magic gave out and so did I.   I struggled up a few of the hills, and gave into walking here and there.  Although there weren’t big cheering crowds around, those people that did come out and the volunteers were so enthusiastic, that it really kept me going when I needed it the most.  I thought of the post about “cat calls” when an older gentleman who looked like he was struggling as much as I called out to me, “as cute as you are, I’d love for you to give me a piggyback ride!”  That gave me a bit of energy-- just not enough.  The last few miles I just tried to keep up the internal pep talk and keep the walk breaks short and to a minimum.

Less then a mile towards the end, my friends who were coming to watch me called out my name and said I was going to beat them to the finish!  I was soooo struggling, and tried to thank them for coming, but could barely wave.  Other people around them also started calling out my name encouraging me to keep going.  I didn’t want them to see me give up, so I just kept pushing.  I was so tickled when I crossed over the finish line to see my dear husband waiting with a dozen roses and a smile.  My chip time was 4:23:44, making it a 12 minute PR!  My friends finally made it to the finish line and gave me hugs, and I went and showered and we all went to the Dairy Queen Grill.  I was totally beat, and sore, but none the less it was a lovely day!

LDMarathon4_zps0ebca8ac.jpg

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice report and photos!  Congrats on your marathon!

Wow, looks pretty, but also very 'desert-y"...I'd be afraid to run out there...my luck, some darn coyote would get me, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Love the Half

Wow.  Beautiful course but I must say it looks really weird seeing a finish line that looks stuck out there in the middle of nowhere.  Congrats on the PR.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

SheCan

Nice report and photos!  Congrats on your marathon!

Wow, looks pretty, but also very 'desert-y"...I'd be afraid to run out there...my luck, some darn coyote would get me, lol.

Thanks, Scotty, and nope,  I'm a hardened desert rat, so if you ran out here, I'd run with you and keep the coyotes away!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Better I Leave

This thread is full of "AWESOME"....Congrats on your PR finish and the pics are great! Smile

SheCan

Wow.  Beautiful course but I must say it looks really weird seeing a finish line that looks stuck out there in the middle of nowhere.  Congrats on the PR.

Thank you LTH, and that weird wall out there is around mile 21 to symbolize breaking "though the wall."

PinegroveDave, thank you for taking the time to read and giving me such awesomeness feedback!

Cherie

Docket_Rocket

Congrats on the two minute PR and on marathon # 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Way to hang in there Cherie, and get that PR.  Beautiful pictures too.  We will have to run a race down there when visiting in laws someday.

happylily

What a fantastic time and PR! Bravo, Cherie! And such a beautiful little marathon, exactly what I am usually looking for. I will have to remember this one! You look so happy in all of your pics, and it's easy to understand why. Well done, girl!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

SheCan

Docket, Jerry, and Lily -- thank you, for the kind words and for reading! And yes, I'd highly recommend this marathon as a small but very well organized race.

Cherie

Better I Leave

And yes, I'd highly recommend this marathon as a small but very well organized race.

Ya know, as exciting as the "big gigs" are, the one race that I'm really stoked about running is my Running With The Bears HM this August. It's hosted in the little, remote town of Taylorsville (population 150) up in the NorCal Cascades (up by Lassen Nat'l Park). They limit the race to 300 participants and after the race, the town hosts a BBQ for the runners. So I'm with you on enjoying these small venues. Smile

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Awesome job!  The view looks amazing, and I love "The Wall".  It reminds me of the wall in "Run Fat Boy Run".  Throw in a 12 minute PR, and it sounds like it was worth the struggles toward the end there.  As for small races, I really like some of the smaller races that I've been to.  They seem to each have their own little quirks that make them unique.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Wow, what a beautiful race setting!  You look awesome in your pics too...so happy and determined.  Congratulations on that well deserved PR.  Those moments where you want to give up are awful during the race, but pushing through them is such a great reward when you're finished.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

SheCan

Ya know, as exciting as the "big gigs" are, the one race that I'm really stoked about running is my Running With The Bears HM this August. It's hosted in the little, remote town of Taylorsville (population 150) up in the NorCal Cascades (up by Lassen Nat'l Park). They limit the race to 300 participants and after the race, the town hosts a BBQ for the runners. So I'm with you on enjoying these small venues. Smile

I had to look that race up!  This looks like it'll be an awesome race.  No wonder you're excited.   These runs in nature tend to fulfill a primal need in me.  I have my first trail race next month that I'm totally stoked about.

Awood-- thank you!  And I've never seen Fat Boy Run.  Maybe that's one I should rent....

So_i'm_a_runner - thank you, and yes, I think I certainly at least learned something from this race, and I felt great to have finished! :-)

Cherie

delicate flower

Congrats on the PR, She Can!  Love the pics.  That looks like a beautiful race.  So much nicer than the suburbs and city.  Love the desert scenery.

<3