Beginners and Beyond

Could The End Be Near? (Read 854 times)

Love the Half

NRR may have been empty earlier but I just checked and it's as full of spam as the BF.  

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

I posted that yesterday morning. Sorry that the spam moved over there too.

Spam over there is definitely ridiculous. I think the end has got to be near!
          Actually I am now getting a page not found message on the rwol forum page. Perhaps the end has already arrived!
          LRB

Actually I am now getting a page not found message on the rwol forum page. Perhaps the end has already arrived!

It is still loading.

Jenny just posted one hell of a reply you should all check out.

Bravo sister!

Hmmm, must have just been the mobile site because desktop loaded. Looks like many of us echo the same sentiments.
              LRB

Hmmm, must have just been the mobile site because desktop loaded. Looks like many of us echo the same sentiments.

You are not that far off.  At some point here in the next 24 hours that site has no choice but to shut down.  If for no other reason then to clear the spam of pages that are well into the 100's.

Once back up, they will probably restrict new registrations for a few days as they did before while they delete the active spam accounts, but none of it will matter because the spammers have figured out how to post while banned.

It will be interesting.

It is still loading.

Jenny just posted one hell of a reply you should all check out.

Bravo sister!

Thanks very much, LRB.  Smile

The training forums seem to be spam free but people are still leaving because of all the other issues. Im kinda lost and feel like a new kid at school here and not sure where to hang. I like the training forums but they are fairly slow here on traffic. I guess that will change as we all settle in. Can we really say fuck here , ooh that felt pretty good haha

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

LRB

It's pretty simple really. Use captcha to register, using a real email address and this will get rid of most of this crap. Log ip addy's will help as well. Surprised a website as big as this can't handle something so simple.

Posted by Tecumseh

A post from s*s at 10:54 this morning from the hey mods thread on the BF, in response to the captioned comment:

"We are already doing this, as has been explained numerous times during the spam onslaughts of the past year.  IPs are useless since they are not static.  If we blocked IPs we would block access for large numbers of legit users/potential users.

I'm not trying to make excuses.  Up until now we have made use of all the options available to us.  I don't know why the problem is so bad here, maybe for the simple fact that the RWOL forums have historically had a lot of traffic; maybe spam begets spam also (if spammers google key spam type phrases and find threads somewhere they can conclude that it is an effective place to post even more spam?)

I'm really sorry, guys.  Please know I am making sure my boss sees these comments.  I wish there was more I could do."

delicate flower

"...I don't know why the problem is so bad here..."

Like I said, a monkey with an Etch-A-Sketch would make a better admin than the ones that are there now.    

<3

Docket_Rocket

It sucks. What about the option of allowing me or Marjorie or Moth to be moderators to cover the weekend? The problem would never have escalated as it has now if we were helping.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

So I just noticed that the mods moved some threads in the BF, but the spam remains.  Wow.  Sad

Running is dumb.

Docket_Rocket

So I just noticed that the mods moved some threads in the BF, but the spam remains.  Wow.  Sad

I noticed that too. Why move those nice threads while leaving us drowning in shit?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

That was the most bizarre thing ever!