Beginners and Beyond

Wacky Wobbling Wednesday Penguins (Read 38 times)

SheCan

Hey g'morning all Penguins!  *kisses*

Rach^  - neg 30......as the high....I'm SO SO SO SO SOOOOO sorry....I just don't see how you do it.  Good luck at your ultimate Frisbee match.

Awood-  have a good time in Detroit.  Glad you're not out running on those streets though.

Scotty- awwwww@ the dog alley route!  How sweet.  Do you have pics of the dog legs along the route?

Dave- Mocha coffee!  That sounds pretty delicious!

Jack K-  that pain doesn't sound very good. Especially since it started hurting suddenly.  Sure hope it's nothing serious like a stress fracture or something.  I dunno, but one way or the other I hope taking a few days off takes care of it.  Cry

Jen16226- I've done that cutting it too close before.  Seems like you feel the tension in your run the whole time.  Maybe kicking it down to 2-1/2 might be good?

Today I did 8-1/2 slow miles and still felt tired from Monday's run.  Started craving spinach on the way home.  So made some spinach with feta cheese and ate it on Triscuit crackers.  It may sound bad, but it sure tasted good.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Singer who runs a smidge

DH's stew with homemade rolls.  He sent me 4, so I gave 2 to my tech.  Seriously, honey, I canNOT eat four dinner rolls!!  Roll eyes

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

tracilynn

Warning huge rant to follow

I have shin splintsDead.  Xray looked fine, no fractures or "hot spots"

BUT DAMMIT

3 bouts of ITB and now stupid shin splints.  So sick of this.  Ive been running 10 months now.   All TMTS overruse injuries despite a big decrease in my miles for December and I still get splints.

So he gave me some antiinflammatory cream to put on 4x a day and take Mobic once/ day.  He told me to ice after running & ice 3 times/day and to wear compression sleeves ( already ice and wear the sleeves). Told me no speedwork, no long runs, decrease my pace, decrease my mileage but I can still run as long as I feel the pain is manageable and not worsening. I need to do shin strengthening= shin ups and walking up hills.

Physical therapy will help heal it faster but I cant afford it, will cost me about $175 per therapy appt afterr insurance.  My HM is in 10.5 weeks.   I hope I will be able to do it.   Between my strengthening exercises I have to do for ITB and now adding shin strengtheners I frickin wont have time to run!  Angry

Running is dumb!  Smile

~~~~~~~

Traci

SheCan

HopesMom- the homemade stew sounds wonderful for a winters lunch.  LOL@ 4 rolls though.  Sounds like my DH-  he has trouble with portion sizes.  Very sweet of him to fix your lunch though.

Tracilynn-  :-(  No wonder your upset.  I think any of us would be if we were in your shoes.  Many hugs to you and I sure hope the cream and the meds help some.  *hugs*

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hope your easy 6 goes well for you, Bin.

Nice running for you, Tomas, glad the knee behaved, probably just needed a little more rest from your marathon.  Have you tried the new shoes yet? Hoping they will work well for you.  Lunch:  lean cuisine salisbury steak for me.

Jack, PF normally presents in the arch of the foot or near the heel of the foot; but it might be PF, cuz the fasciitis runs all the way from the AT, down the heel and under the foot to near the toes, so who knows, yours may be presenting differently.  Hope it's not PF, that is a pain to get rid of and can even come back and haunt you again and again.

Sorry you have to deal with all that, Traci!  I hope you and Jack both get your problems resolved very quickly!  Mobic is a pretty powerful anti-inflammatory, hope it helps you.

Jen16226, congrats on your miles.  I can relate to the time thing, lol.  I work from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., so in Texas summer when the afternoons and evenings are SCORCHING, I usually get up and go run around 4 a.m. or so, to have time to get my run in, cool down, shower, and have enough time to drive to work.   good luck with you strength training!   Come visit anytime if you need a break from the cold.  Long as you're not allergic to cats, you can crash in our Liliputian guest room.

I predict, HsM, it will not be too cold for you to go run! Wink

Wow, Rach, the base gym has a full-size football field INSIDE?  That's not a gym...that's a STADIUM, lol.   I can now visit Alaska, my crazy SIL that used to live there moved to another state. Joking I will only come in summer though!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

from She Can:  Hey g'morning all Penguins!  *kisses*   Oh yeah!

Actually, She Can, I probably should do that sometime, take some photos of my doggie pals along the way.  It's about a 3 mile route and there are at least 10 dogs each time I run that route.   What's funny is now they are starting to recognize me when I come down each of their streets, and some go sit by their fences and wait for me and for their treat, lol.   Craving spinach? Tight lips  Careful you don't turn into Popeye...

Seriously, honey, I canNOT eat four dinner rolls!!  I can.  I love bread.  Probably why I don't lose a lot of weight real fast.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

BUT DAMMIT

3 bouts of ITB and now stupid shin splints.  So sick of this.  Ive been running 10 months now.   All TMTS overruse injuries despite a big decrease in my miles for December and I still get splints.

So he gave me some antiinflammatory cream to put on 4x a day and take Mobic once/ day.  He told me to ice after running & ice 3 times/day and to wear compression sleeves ( already ice and wear the sleeves). Told me no speedwork, no long runs, decrease my pace, decrease my mileage but I can still run as long as I feel the pain is manageable and not worsening. I need to do shin strengthening= shin ups and walking up hills.

Physical therapy will help heal it faster but I cant afford it, will cost me about $175 per therapy appt afterr insurance.  My HM is in 10.5 weeks.   I hope I will be able to do it.   Between my strengthening exercises I have to do for ITB and now adding shin strengtheners I frickin wont have time to run!  Angry

Running is dumb!  Smile

sorry kid.....i wish i had some words of wisdom. you may start to rethink if running is cheaper than prozac Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

DH's stew with homemade rolls.  He sent me 4, so I gave 2 to my tech.  Seriously, honey, I canNOT eat four dinner rolls!!  Roll eyes

you are much nicer than me.....I would have eaten all four.

Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Mmmmm...beer

Traci, sorry to hear it, hope it clears up soon.

just had some homemade veggie soup for lunch. this was way better than my salad yesterday. I am glad it turned out ok. I didnt follow any sort of recipe and I already packaged up containers for the rest of the week.

What do yall have for lunch today????

Leftover quinoa and teriyaki chicken meatballs, broccoli, salad, berry mix (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries), honeycrisp apple.  Outstanding lunch. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

Wow, Rach, the base gym has a full-size football field INSIDE?  That's not a gym...that's a STADIUM, lol.   I can now visit Alaska, my crazy SIL that used to live there moved to another state. Joking I will only come in summer though!

It's AWESOME!!! Langley doesn't know what they are missing.

My coworkers thought I would play like a girl. Nope, I brought my A game! Even did some football moves (ran one way, stopped fast, turned around, and ran the opposite direction). Scored a few times too. I didn't keep track of the score, but I had a lot of fun.

Still thinking about doing a recovery jog this afternoon, but I will see how I feel.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Traci: I am also frustrated right now so I think I know how you feel.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I am going to get new shoes tonight, take some days off, and I have an appointment with my massage guy on Friday. Had I known tight calves are related to PF, I would have gone in sooner. My calves have been sore and tight for well over a month but I attributed it to running more hills. It is a hard lesson to learn. I will know more on Friday. Grrrrrrrrrrrr...

Docket_Rocket

Good luck!

Oh and BTW, the ultimate Frisbee match is held indoors on the full-sized football field. We don't play that outside in the snow and ice. Safety first!

Off to the match! Wish me luck!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Boo, hiss.  I wonder whether it's (1) the paces, (2) the distances, (3) 1 and 2, or (4) the shoes.  Sorry you're going through this.

BUT DAMMIT

Running is dumb!  Smile

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Dad on the run.

Hey all, changed my 6 mile run to a timed practice 5k, and will probably get another 3 miles in tonight when DW gets home. So I will still get 6, just probably not as beneficial as running it all at once. Oh well, the practice 5K went well Smile

<tfoot> </tfoot>

Split

Time

Distance

Avg Pace

Summary 28:45.7 3.10 9:16
                              1 9:20.0 1.00 9:20
                              2 9:13.9 1.00 9:14
                              3 9:27.0 1.00 9:27
                              4 :44.7 0.10 7:19

Too bad it was a practice run Sad That is my fastest 5k run yet.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

GinnyinPA

jblackjr - nice run - Do you have a race coming up soon?

Tracilynn - sorry about the shin splints.  Are you doing a lot of hills lately?  Or maybe need new shoes?  I hope you can keep up with your training.

Rach - sounds like you had fun with your Ultimate Frisbee.  Much better than running outside in those temps.

Today was a SRD, though I'm tempted to go do a couple miles on the TM before dinner.  I am still having a hard time not pushing the miles.  My pelvis seems to be healed, but all the muscles etc. have had a long long rest, and I know it would be a mistake to build up too quickly.   It got up to 16 deg, with very little wind, so our morning walk wasn't too bad, but we still cut it short.  I was bundled up in down, the dog wasn't.