Beginners and Beyond

What is the best or worst running or exercise related advice you have received? (Read 87 times)

RSX

Best advice at a bar that I could run orst 26.2, and a strategy. I had gained my most weight in grad school, and guessed it was impossible.

Worst advice anything by a non-runner too often to pick just 1.

Love the Half

Best advice - At least 80% of your mileage should be run at an easy pace.

Worst - All of the ancillary bullshit.  If I spent as much time stretching, cross training, strength training, and doing all the other ancillary stuff I'm "supposed" to do in support of my running, I'd never have time to run.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Birdwell

Best advice and mantra: "Run lots, mostly slow, sometimes fast." My understanding it is mainly attributed to SRL on RA and RWOL, but maybe was actually brought down from the mountain, engraved on stone tablets.

It turns out, we are both wrong.

answer here (a post in the general forums) 

The quote (which is "run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard") is attributable to two people.

A sick and twisted race director and a helpful knight.

mta: I still haven't got the quote right. fixed it again.

tracilynn

Is birdwell =Stevy Ray. SRL? From RW?  He was my Internet crush over there when I first joined and then he disappeared.  

~~~~~~~

Traci

B-Plus

Internet crush? I need one of those.

Zelanie

I think Stevie Ray quit RA (don't know about RW since I haven't been there), but these days he is healthy and running lots.  I think he's mostly active on Facebook and Marathon Maniacs.  He just finished a 100 miler.

Birdwell

Is birdwell =Stevy Ray. SRL? From RW?  He was my Internet crush over there when I first joined and then he disappeared.  

no, no, no, not at all.

SRL is over here on rare occasion. In fact, the last sighting was earlier this week, in this thread on the general forums (page 4,5 and 6 mostly)

tracilynn

Oh okay. Glad to hear he is healthy.

Bird, I just stalked your profile and you sound very SRL ish to me.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Bird, I just stalked your profile and you sound very SRL ish to me.

He wishes!

And my apologies to the original authors of the quote.

Dave

Birdwell

He wishes!

And my apologies to the original authors of the quote.

+1

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

SRL hangs out a lot on the Half Fanatics facebook group....I'm pretty sure he is actually an admin.

As for worst advice it would have to be a coworker of mine who also has a DOCTORAL degree in PHYSICAL THERAPY: "if you keep up running your uterus will fall out when you get older."

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Worst advice? Almost any of the standard clichés about training such as the 10% Rule and "run slower to run faster". Then you can add any of the typical novice training programs, especially those for the marathon.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

SRL hangs out a lot on the Half Fanatics facebook group....I'm pretty sure he is actually an admin.

As for worst advice it would have to be a coworker of mine who also has a DOCTORAL degree in PHYSICAL THERAPY: "if you keep up running your uterus will fall out when you get older."

No ute, less weight, faster times = sounds like a plan.

Best advice - At least 80% of your mileage should be run at an easy pace effort.

Worst advice - anyone saying "run at x mpm PACE". Easy and hard are efforts, not paces.

Even "MP" should be stricken from the books - it should be a marathon effort run.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                              catwhoorg

Labrat

"Run Lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard" is the best advice I ever saw, and it works for any sort of cardio exercising. I use the same principle on my bike when X-training

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18