Beginners and Beyond

Running Recovery (Read 100 times)

SheCan

In the winter time, just regular water most the time.  In the summer, I tend to feel a lot more beat up, and will often drink orange juice, or orange juice in diet sprite-- its delicious with crushed ice.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Yugo8

I am pretty terrible at doing the recovery thing after running.  I drink water, because I usually get thirsty, but I don't feel hungry after exercising and sometimes don't eat for more than 2-3 hours.  (Those close to me  fear what happens if I wait too long, though.  Hunger hits me with the rage of thousand suns, and then I eat everything in sight.)

I guess I may try to be more vigilant about having food in a reasonable amount of time after running.  No "protein shakes" for me, though.  

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Two dailies, I knew that was going to happen!

What do you drink for recovery after a run?  Is there any difference between an easy, fast or long run?

Yay!

My schedule is highly varied.

On days that my recovery is early I chase it with a normal breakfast + coffee.

Middle, I take on a protein shake.

Late (closer to 10-11) I will go ahead and eat lunch.

I run recovery all days with the exception of long run days, mainly due to time constraints.

As far as intake post normal workouts - typically nothing special.  If I feel particularly taxed, I might take a protein shake.

After LRs I usually hit IHOP for 14-1500 calories worth.

A big glass of Chocolate milk for me.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

onemile

I usually drink a diet orange soda. Or sometimes a diet root beer. 

Hip Redux

If I don't get calories into me right after a work out, I will spend the rest of the day eating everything not tied down.

My usual go to is this because it easily mixes with water on the go:

http://store.livefluid.com/recovery-drinks/

From the Internet.

If I don't get calories into me right after a work out, I will spend the rest of the day eating everything not tied down. 

Me too, and on days that I do doubles it makes my second workout really hard/miserable. Being in Rhode Island I usually do a glass of coffee milk, shower, and then have coffee/breakfast after.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Used to be the protein powder with milk, but a little over a year ago I changed it to water instead of milk trying to get rid of any unnecessary calories.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Mmmmm...beer

Chocolate milk or protein shake.  Usually also have a banana immediately after my run, and then oatmeal not too long after (most of my runs are first thing in the morning before I eat).

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

hugsy

I run before meals, so recovery foods=breakfast or dinner. On a long run, I carry water and a gel just in case but I don't usually eat/drink it.
                      So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Usually I go for some Gatorade or water after most runs (including long runs, which I don't judge much differently than easy runs, unless they have a speed component). After higher intensity workouts, I try for a drink with extra protein, like Muscle Milk, G3 or something similar.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn