Beginners and Beyond

Can a city have too many races? (Read 160 times)

Better I Leave

Sounds like you need to start a race.

It's crossed my mind. I mean, we've got some beautiful countryside and I'm sure we've got businesses that would like to get involved. Amador county, like Napa, is a big wine growing area. Healdsburg hosts a wine run (HM) every year. I've even got a domain I could host it with (amadorrunners.org)...But I really wouldn't know where to start. I even talked to the director of tourism for my county about the idea. No interest there...go figure.

monkkey

Love this part:

"The city will also look to devise a scoring system that allows its bigger local races to compete with national companies, such as Competitor Group, which will put on the debut Rock ‘n’ Roll Raleigh Marathon in April 2014. Local races that meet the criteria—like paying bills on time—could get first dibs on their event date the following year and even lock in multi-year contracts with the city."

Very nice when the local races are prioritized!

LRB

Love this part:

"The city will also look to devise a scoring system that allows its bigger local races to compete with national companies, such as Competitor Group, which will put on the debut Rock ‘n’ Roll Raleigh Marathon in April 2014. Local races that meet the criteria—like paying bills on time—could get first dibs on their event date the following year and even lock in multi-year contracts with the city."

Very nice when the local races are prioritized!

+1

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

A bigger question is can a city have too many 5K races to the detriment of the other distances.

Definitely too many 5ks, I'd like to see more 10k's, 15k's and definitely more Half Marathons in my area or within 100 miles.

Pink, that is cool. The majority of my family live here, while an aunt lives in Wisconsin, a group of family members (distant cousins) live in Florida as far as I know.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Trail Monster

DH and I ran something like 35+ races last year and most of them were near home. The greater Pittsburgh area has tons of races and I love that. In fact we enjoy it so much that DH and I now RD two races, a 5k/10k and a 5M/10M. I wish there were more double digit distance races but other than that I like being able to find a race on any given weekend.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Cry Evansville sucks...

Eh we're slowly growing, in 10 more years we'll be up there with ya'll Big grin (hopefully sooner).

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Little Blue

Oh, yippee.  Raleigh is getting a R&R race.  I wonder which local race they're obliterating?

Docket_Rocket

And the answer is yes.  We only have like 3-4 10Ks a year and that is including driving 70 miles to run some.  We don't have 15Ks, only one 8K and one 5 miler.  That's it apart from HMs and marathons.  I would like to see some other distances.

A bigger question is can a city have too many 5K races to the detriment of the other distances.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jen16226

DH and I ran something like 35+ races last year and most of them were near home. The greater Pittsburgh area has tons of races and I love that. In fact we enjoy it so much that DH and I now RD two races, a 5k/10k and a 5M/10M. I wish there were more double digit distance races but other than that I like being able to find a race on any given weekend.

Yeah Pittsburgh area has plenty in that immediate area for sure.  I wish we had more about 50 miles up Route 28! Smile

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K

Trail Monster

Yeah Pittsburgh area has plenty in that immediate area for sure.  I wish we had more about 50 miles up Route 28! Smile

Harmony, Cranberry and Zelienople have several races! And Baker Trail 50 is run in Cook's Forest every third year.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

fitfatboy

More cowbell!

Definitely too many 5ks, I'd like to see more 10k's, 15k's and definitely more Half Marathons in my area or within 100 miles.

Pink, that is cool. The majority of my family live here, while an aunt lives in Wisconsin, a group of family members (distant cousins) live in Florida as far as I know.

Agreed.  I'd also like to see more road races in the other direction.  Bring back the mile, and also maybe an early spring 2-miler.  There just aren't many opportunities to do speed work under race conditions.

STILL HAVING FUN!!!

Jess runs for bacon

We've got a ton of races of all distances around here. For biggies, two fulls (also halfs with that) and two more halfs. About a zillion 5ks between the spring and the fall. We're fortunate that we have a very extensive park system in our area so a lot are held in parks. We even have a 5k at the local amusement park. One park has "built in" layouts for 5ks and 10ks, there are a ton of races there (I think I've probably run 8 or so in the past year there). Then we have several road races that they just keep open to traffic.

It was funny though, when the RW half was a few weeks away, there was a huge to-do because the course blocked several churches and people were upset they would miss service. Which was surprising to me, because there's pretty much a church on every block out here, you'd think people would be able to go to another for just one service. Ah well.

RSX

We've got a ton of races of all distances around here. For biggies, two fulls (also halfs with that) and two more halfs. About a zillion 5ks between the spring and the fall. We're fortunate that we have a very extensive park system in our area so a lot are held in parks. We even have a 5k at the local amusement park. One park has "built in" layouts for 5ks and 10ks, there are a ton of races there (I think I've probably run 8 or so in the past year there). Then we have several road races that they just keep open to traffic.

It was funny though, when the RW half was a few weeks away, there was a huge to-do because the course blocked several churches and people were upset they would miss service. Which was surprising to me, because there's pretty much a church on every block out here, you'd think people would be able to go to another for just one service. Ah well.

A couple of us met with 1 of the organizers for a race recently, and he asked for ways to improve. He mentioned that they had a post-race meeting in town to listen to complaints. 1 church complained that their revenue was down 50% that day. It was the same deal they knew about this race for months but didn't add a second service. The other big church in town didn't complain. I asked if the next one will be on a Sunday and he said yes. It will be the only race in town all year.

Jess runs for bacon

A couple of us met with 1 of the organizers for a race recently, and he asked for ways to improve. He mentioned that they had a post-race meeting in town to listen to complaints. 1 church complained that their revenue was down 50% that day. It was the same deal they knew about this race for months but didn't add a second service. The other big church in town didn't complain. I asked if the next one will be on a Sunday and he said yes. It will be the only race in town all year.

People are nutter butters. I feel bad for him, public meetings are horrid. Everyone complains about everything.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Wow...Impressive my friend. Seriously.

Not really, Dave, cuz I actually don't RACE them.  They are all fun-run events to me and I do my run/walk thing and take photos along the way.  So I can get away with doing a lot of events.  Heck, if I tried to run like some of you folks here do, I'd probably be injured after 3 or 4 races, lol.    I admire those folks that can really RACE the event, get from Point A to Point B as fast as possible.  I used to do that but my old body can't handle the speed or any long distance anymore.. (stupid arthritis).

I have a local racing-scene friend, Bernadette, who does almost as many races as I do in a year.  Not only does she RACE them, she places in her age group in almost every one she does!  Now that's impressive!  Like me, she is in her 50s too...the 'old gal' still has it! Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt