Beginners and Beyond

Runner resumes (Read 131 times)

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

I just cannot help it, when I read impertinent I always think incontinent.  I don't know why

Are you saying I'm an impertinent middle-aged woman? Oh man, you are sooo banned from here.

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

Hang in there Mandy!!

Fine, fine, fine.  Sometimes I forget I don't visit here very often and don't still know everyone.

I started running in early 2008.  I fell in love with trail running shortly thereafter.  Then figured out I liked running trails for a long time.  Spent 4 years happy and injury free -- too many 50Ks, a 50 miler and 100K went by.  Got "injured" in 2012.  A nagging, steady ache in my groin that never went away.  Misdiagnosed for over a year.  I gave up on running and rode my bike a lot.  I can't describe the levels of frustration. After multiple doctors, PTs, chiros, MRIs and X-rays, I finally got diagnosed with femoroacetabular impingement, which caused my labrum in my hip to tear.  It's a congenital thing.  I had surgery to fix it in March of this year.  (Poor Oski followed in my footsteps 2 months later.)  I'm making my comeback now.  Slow and steady.

adkkev

Old guy here ... older than most of you, younger than a couple of you. 

happylily

I just cannot help it, when I read impertinent I always think incontinent.  I don't know why

haha... you are so funny. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Antipodean

Toronto, I am a long-time lurker but remember you from RW. I seem to remember you were (at some stage anyway) doing marathon training on 3 runs per week. Or have I got the wrong person? If so, do you run more now?

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

hey Kiwi

yes, it's me.  I switched from 3 runs a week a while ago, but I rarely do more than 4.

I am currently training with a coached group.  My plan still calls for 4 runs a week, but they are all relatively hard.  Even easy/recovery runs are supposed to have 1:00 fartleks thrown in.  So it's more or less the same idea as FIRST plans - relatively few easy miles.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

This is fun....great thread!

I began running a little bit in 2010 when I moved to Brooklyn, NY and lived by a beautiful park and wanted to take advantage of it and get out of the gym on nice spring days. But I had no idea what I was doing and I was completely inconsistent. I kind of power walk/jogged with no structure, 1-2 times a week for a few weeks and then didn't again for months. Starting in August 2012 I began running more consistently when my friend convinced me to register for my first 5K. Completed my first 5K in October of 2012 with a time of 37:47 and got bit by the racing bug and never looked back. I have completed 40+ races since then. My first year of racing I did a bunch of 5Ks and 10Ks, and then began training for my first Half Marathon which I ran in October of 2013, on my one year anniversary of my first 5K. Since then I have completed 8 half marathons.

My PRs:

-5K 28:16

-10K 1:00:13 (been chasing a sub-60 finish for a long time now and keep just missing it.....mostly due to crazy things happening such as a fire on the course, a major debacle at the finish line causing everyone to wait over 30 seconds about 20 ft from the finish to cross it, a course being called a 10K even though it was over 6.7 miles long.....and the list goes on. ONE DAY!)

-Half marathon: 2:20:16

Injuries:

-A bad bout with left leg ITBS in January 2013 that eventually landed me in physical therapy and over a month off running, that recurred briefly in May 2013 and *knock on wood* has not returned since

-Shin splints on and off since October 2013

-Foot injury in December of 2013 that caused me to be in a medical boot for 6 weeks and take 8 weeks off running (I have never run during the month of January because of injuries 2 years in a row) .... it was originally thought to be a stress fracture and was treated that way for 3 weeks until the doctor finally determined that it was a bad bone contusion, inflammation of the fluid in the surrounding joint, and some minor tendon and ligament damage in the same area.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Cool thread to read or be reminded of everyone's history.  I've been visiting the RWOL beginner forums (and now here also) since I started running. I do a lot of reading, not a ton of posting. So here goes!

Started running in 2010 after I turned 40 even though I said I never would run (running is stupid, after all). I got really tired of being fat. At the time, I weighed 230+ at 6"0'.  I began with Gallowalking because, well, that's what everyone did around my neck of the woods and since I couldn't run more than a quarter mile at a time anyway, it worked for me.  Gallowalking is HUGE with the Crim (a popular 10 mile race in Flint, MI) and I knew lots of people who ran that race, so I Gallowalked with them.  Most of the people who I started with still run that way, but some time in early 2012 I moved from run/walk to all run.

Since then I've lost a lot of weight (been around 182 for the last couple years), ran races of many distances including a couple marathons (Chicago 2012, Bayshore 2014).  No major injuries and I'm still liking what running has given me so no plans to stop now. I've been increasing my mileage every year, 1,400 in 2012 and 1,750 in 2013. I should be around 1,800 this year. Some PR's: 5k 23:30, HM 1:50:35, FM 4:08:51.

Random weird.. 80% of the time when I type marathon I mistype it as marathong. Love spell check.

Cyberic

Bump!

LOL. Do we need to update now?

Dave

Docket_Rocket

LOL. Do we need to update now?

I sure hope not.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Cyberic

I sure hope not.

It might not end well for me if I tried to make you do anything!

LRB

I don't know whether to feel bad for the ones that are gone and not running anymore, or those of us left who are. Probably the latter.