Beginners and Beyond

Race Report and Photos: NE Foundation 5K at SeaWorld San Antonio (Read 26 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

My 19th race of 2014. The Northside Education Foundation (NEF) 5K supports students of the Northside Independent School District in San Antonio. The 5K was held at San Antonio SeaWorld.  Kids Walk started at 8 a.m. and the 5K started at 8:30 a.m.  Weather was pleasant, in the low 60s with plenty of sunshine and a bit of a breeze blowing.  This was one of my slowest 5K - 36:44 finish - not because I had no energy, I had plenty of that - but because there was so much to see going through the park I kept stopping to take photos.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Before The Start

Had already picked up my stuff at the packet-pickup day before the race, so got to the park and didn't have to stand in line for anything.  Just got busy taking some pre-race photos.

Yours Truly, your host for this report with the Foundation mascot.

Starting line before it's busy, with the sun coming up behind it.

From the start/finish area, we had a view of the top of one of the park's roller-coasters.

A couple of my buds from AthleteGuild running company, who did the race timing.

Roger Soler and friend.  Roger is the founder of Soler Sports, a very good local running store chain.

I think these guys are Air Force Jr. ROTC.  Yay, Air Force!

The blue shirts these two folks are wearing were the race shirts in the goody bags.

Some of the many great volunteers out there for us today. These were race day registration folks.

These folks were here to make sure I stayed out of trouble...

This lovely lady, here with her family, is a 4th grade teacher...I admire teachers, I certainly don't have the patience to do that job!  Very nice lady.  I chatted with her and her son a bit when we were 'neighbors' in the start line crowd.  If my 4th grade teacher had looked like this when I was in 4th grade, I might have kept failing 4th grade to keep going back

Dang, I didn't notice for this photo I had smeared my lens somehow...my apologies to the folks in this photo.

One of these folks is camera shy...

Nice shirts!

On The Course

Whomever laid out the 5K course did a great job!  We ran a short path through the SeaWold parking lot and then went into the park, did a loop through the park and then onto a service road behind the park.  Came back into the park again, wound around to another service road, then back into the park once more, and back the way we came, and then down the parking lot again to finish up.  The course allowed us to see a lot of the park, which was very nice....and killed my running time, lol, because I kept stopping along the way to take photos.

Passed by this water ride...

On the service road

Going underneath part of The Rattler (I think it's called that),  the big roller-coaster at the park

In the park again...passing this ride

And passed lots of other stuff too...

As we proceeded on, to our left was the Water Arena where outside shows are done

Forging on ahead..

SHARK!!!!

After the jellyfish, a small loop back to the park entrance, back into the parking lot, and back to the finish. Very nice course!

After the Race

Lots of stuff at this event.

Gold's gym was there and you could get a photo lifting this barbell...

Goodies table...

Whataburger, a very popular Texas fast-food restaurant founded in Corpus Christi - and now has its HQ in San Antonio - was represented.

"Happy Finishers", supporters, etc.

"Sister" and brother...

Watch out, Self Magazine!

"Sisters"

EPILOG

What a fun event and great race venue!    Good cause, good course, lots of friendly folks and smiling faces, nice post-race goodies and lots of "fun atmosphere" here. This one is a keeper and definitely stays on the race calendar.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

It looks like a very popular race.  Nice venue, though I think I'd be too busy looking around to run fast. Lots to see.  People looked cold before the race - hard to believe it was in the 60's.

Zelanie

Racing plus sightseeing- nice!  Looks like a fun time.  Plus the usual Carrera post-race spread. Smile

hog4life

Nice report! This one looked like a lot more participants than usual. I probably would have to got a ride on one of the roller coasters!

happylily

1) What is the mascot? An apple? A tomato? A red bell pepper? lol

2) You'd have to pay me big bucks to climb in the Rattler.

3) What a fun course!

4) You make people smile, and when people smile, they automatically look attractive. What a good looking bunch of people!

5) Muffins, mmmmmmmmmm......

Congratulations, Scotty! 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Pinktastic

Oh man!  This one looks like a ton of fun!   I probably would have been like you and been too busy sight-seeing to run my best race, but it would have been worth it!!   Congrats on another Pinktabulous race, Scotty!   Thanks for sharing - I love reading your reports!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

1) What is the mascot? An apple? A tomato? A red bell pepper? lol

2) You'd have to pay me big bucks to climb in the Rattler.

3) What a fun course!

4) You make people smile, and when people smile, they automatically look attractive. What a good looking bunch of people!

5) Muffins, mmmmmmmmmm......

Congratulations, Scotty! 

It is supposed to be an apple.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

happylily

It is supposed to be an apple.

But it could also be a strawberry if it was covered with black dots. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010