Beginners and Beyond

A thank you to running and all of you! (Read 358 times)

Zelanie

I started shopping Goodwill and consignment stores.  And had to get out of the mentality of buying stuff that was a tad loose.

Will run for scenery.

Hi Coralie, great job so far!

I think too many people (maybe women more than men) think of losing X pounds by Y date as their goal.  The real goal, as others have said, is finding ways to make sustainable changes to your lifestyle that allow you to be healthy. It's not what you look like in 30 days that matters, it's the next 10, 30, 50 years.

When I set out to lose weight, I promised myself I wouldn't make any hard sacrifices.  I just looked around to find the easiest changes I could make that made a difference.  Portion control is a great example.  That first bite tastes soooooo good.  You enjoy it and you should!  Food is wonderful.  But after the 10th bite or so it usually just becomes a matter of shoveling.  Mindless, habitual eating with no real satisfaction involved.  So learning to notice when that transition happens is huge.  You eat enough to feel satisfied (not stuffed!) and then at least pause, or better stop.  That's something that never, ever ocurred to me for three decades.

The other thing that helped me was paying attention to what foods left me feeling satisfied LATER.  Sure a slice of cheesecake is awesome right now, but what about in 20 minutes ?  Will I still feel content or will I be craving more ? For me, that way of thinking helped me focus on cutting carbs and keeping the food I really love.

Anyway, sorry if that's too preachy.  I think you are doing great and hope you share your progress with us.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Sloooow.

That is definitely something I need to work on. I'm a mindless shoveler. Not preachy at all, thanks for the tips Smile

I'm in this for the long haul, and I want to make these changes for life. I want to get pregnant again around July, and I want these changes to follow me through a healthy pregnancy, I gained over 60lbs with my first daughter, and 30lbs with my second. The biggest mistake I made the second time, was not losing the weight from my first!

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

You sure can tell a difference, and you sure will lose the weight that you want in the next few months!!

You look great, keep up your hard work!

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

Nevrgivup

Coralie, you can definitely see the difference!! Congrats on such a great accomplishment! Keep it up. Smile

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del.