Beginners and Beyond

FriDAILIES: Objects in mirror are further than they appear (Read 35 times)

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Morning! Cut-back week coming to a close. I've recuperated a bit and am ready to head in to the last 6 weeks of my FM training. This morning was an Easy 3 on the TM. Tomorrow's run is more of a monster: 19 miles, 15 of which at GMP. I look forward to it because it's supposed to be pretty nice out. I just need to figure out when I can get it in.

- Andrew

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

First run of anything over 3 miles since the knee thing.  Hip was feeling good so went to 35 minutes on the hamster wheel which would be approx 4 to 4.5 miles.  Felt good.  Even had some good speed in there which watching Sweet Sixteen games helped last night. 

Tonight will be mild bike as I potentially have a double-header basketball game tomorrow for playoffs.  We play at 6pm, if we win, we play again at 8. 

Phil ---- am/pm double......you're nuts, dude!

Randy

Docket_Rocket

Morning! Cut-back week coming to a close. I've recuperated a bit and am ready to head in to the last 6 weeks of my FM training. This morning was an Easy 3 on the TM. Tomorrow's run is more of a monster: 19 miles, 15 of which at GMP. I look forward to it because it's supposed to be pretty nice out. I just need to figure out when I can get it in.

Which plan are you doing again?  Nice challenging workout you have for tomorrow.  Good luck!

Randy, glad to see you posting here again.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

Wait, there are times when people DON'T sweat while running?

I am a heavy sweater even in sub-zero temps but with today's high winds and short distance I did not sweat nowhere near my usual.  It was weird.

happylily

I always sweat a lot, but don't realize it if the sweat dries on me as I'm running. But due to my Raynaud's, aka poor blood circulation, I very often feel cold, even if I'm sweating. It's weird.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

I have a training question: How much improvement do you expect during one of your training cycles? I ask because I'm a little past the half point in my training and I'm not really happy with my progress. I feel like there hasn't been any, actually. My HM pace is probably the same now as it was 10 weeks ago, when I started. It's nowhere near what it was last spring, even though I'm running the same mileage. Am I going to gain any speed at all between now and race day? I still have 6 or 7 weeks to go. It's frustrating. I have endurance, but I have stalled as far as speed goes. It isn't for lack of homework. I do my hill work, my intervals, tempo runs, etc... Sigh... Could it be age? Did I peak last year and now I'm going down?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

HobbitLegs

elevenses

SRD for me. I'll do some Yoga/stretching today. It's a rainy day off, so I'm catching up with things around the house and hanging out with my furry buddies. I hope everyone has a nice Friday.

Julie -  I'm still pretty much a n00b at this distance stuff and am just now really starting to see paces start with 7's and 8's in my training. I'm also much lower mileage than you. I can say that in the middle of my last training cycle, I felt a little beat up and didn't see much change in pacing. By the end, I'm seeing some gains. I knocked a lot off my old 5k PR and am seeing my easy pace drop. I'll be interested to see what happens with my upcoming race. It's hilly as all get out, so I'm wondering what I can do with my time for a half.

I did run track in high school, and the first couple of seasons, my times dropped like crazy with training, but by the last couple of seasons, I (and other runners as well) had to work really hard to shave time off, especially off shorter distances. For the people who ran 100's and 200's they would be fighting for fractions of a second. So as you get stronger and your fitness improves, it gets tougher and tougher to shave off time for a given distance.

Docket_Rocket

I have a training question: How much improvement do you expect during one of your training cycles? I ask because I'm a little past the half point in my training and I'm not really happy with my progress. I feel like there hasn't been any, actually. My HM pace is probably the same now as it was 10 weeks ago, when I started. It's nowhere near what it was last spring, even though I'm running the same mileage. Am I going to gain any speed at all between now and race day? I still have 6 or 7 weeks to go. It's frustrating. I have endurance, but I have stalled as far as speed goes. It isn't for lack of homework. I do my hill work, my intervals, tempo runs, etc... Sigh... Could it be age? Did I peak last year and now I'm going down?

Hmmm, not sure what to think.  Maybe you are doing the speedwork but you could do them at a faster pace?  Or maybe you feel you've not progressed but on race day you might be surprised at how much you did?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Which plan are you doing again?  Nice challenging workout you have for tomorrow.  Good luck!

Daniel's Plan A. It's been challenging, but a good fit.

- Andrew

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I think I can safely say that I'm younger than you. This training period I haven't seen any improvement in pace, but I did notice that the further in to training I got, the easier the paces seemed to be. Makes total sense. I guess that could allow me to crank it up a notch. I think if I was more aggressive in my training, I would try it.

- Andrew

Docket_Rocket

Daniel's Plan A. It's been challenging, but a good fit.

I've considered that plan before.  Never had the time to train with it, but it is challenging indeed.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I've considered that plan before.  Never had the time to train with it, but it is challenging indeed.

Yeah, I have one in my log under Training Plans if you want to check it out.

- Andrew

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

9.6. Rained a bit during the run. But it was refreshing versus cold or hard and hurting.

Marjorie

outoftheblue

I took a RD yesterday, and I may take one again.  I was initially jazzed at the thought of taking on a HM in a couple of weeks, but am realizing that my body could use a real bona fide rest period.  There is still some very mild discomfort in my hamstring and I really want to get completely rid of that before I start in with hills and speed work again.   I will have other HM chances coming up later in the year.  I don't want to screw up my long term plans by getting impatient.

Glad to see people enjoying some milder weather to run in.   Winter has finally shown its face here in California and we have several rain/snow storms forecast over the next week.  We could sure use the water, so I can't complain.

Lily, I don't have enough experience to offer much of an opinion about what's going on with your speed.  Is your health otherwise good?  General life fatigue and slow down my paces for sure.

Life is good.

Zelanie

Julie, what I'm telling myself is this- in the early part of my training cycle, I didn't have a lot of extra fatigue.  In the middle of my training cycle, if I'm hitting the same paces, I'm hitting them *with* the extra fatigue that's built up as I went.  Plus, the workouts themselves are asking me to hold the paces for longer stretches of time.  Therefore, I must be getting faster.   But yeah, I think I posted pretty much exactly that with 6 weeks to go.  It's not marathon training in my case, of course, as I've yet to experience that kind of fun.

Me- I didn't run yesterday, but I went to the drinking part of the social run.  Lots of talk about the upcoming HM that everybody is running, of course.  Two of the faster guys separately told me that they are hoping to finish in the top 5.  But the one guy doesn't want the other guy to know he's coming for him.   So it will be interesting to see how that one plays out.