Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins - Perseverance Pays Off (Read 194 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

GOOOD morning everyone!  Looks to be a great day ahead.  I hope that those of your struggling with a bug can finally get over it.

Gustav - good morning.  Looks like you beat me on here but seconds.

AFM - about to leave for work then I'm going to attempt 4 trail miles after.  Could be interesting.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

I am definitely spending more time exercising than online. Just finished reading yesterdays thread. Yesterday I tallied up the total time I spent working out and it came to 2 hours and 45 minutes. I am splitting the full body gym workout into upper and lower. Yesterday I did upper body. At home I did 60 minutes on the bike, the 12 myrtle exercise, and 14 other bodyweight exercises, followed up with two glasses of red wine!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Morning Peeps !! Hopefully will get out today after 2 days off.  No more meetings !!!

Jen2011

Good morning, Penguins!  Hope you have a great Tuesday!  3 miles later for me today.  Trying to catch up on the full night of sleep I lost the night before last, so I did not get up early to run this morning.

Gustav, thanks for getting us started.  Good for you on all the time you are spending on exercise!  I especially like your post workout activity!

Vance, enjoy the 4 trail miles later!  That's something I want to find and try.  I do all of my runs on the many rural roads near my house.  I need to find a trail and branch out for some variety!

A quick story from yesterday - a mom at my school came in the office yesterday to pick up a absence request form for her daughter because she is running the Disney Marathon.  I remarked that my DH and I would like to run a Disney race sometime.  She then asked if I was a runner, and I told her that I was just a beginner, having been running just over a year, and that I just ran my first half in December.  She looked at me and told me that I wasn't a beginner anymore if I had run a half, and that I needed to be proud of my accomplishments.  It was such a nice surprise to have someone who I consider a "real runner" tell me that.   Then of course, she talked to me about how I too could run a marathon, and for the first time, I started thinking that maybe someday I could.

Have a great day!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

Jen2011

Morning Peeps !! Hopefully will get out today after 2 days off.  No more meetings !!!

You snuck in there on me Jerry!  Congrats on the lack of meetings today!  Hope you have a great run!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

Jen! That's awesome! It's so neat how the littlest things inspire us! GO FOR IT! :-)

Good morning, Penguins!  Hope you have a great Tuesday!  3 miles later for me today.  Trying to catch up on the full night of sleep I lost the night before last, so I did not get up early to run this morning.

Gustav, thanks for getting us started.  Good for you on all the time you are spending on exercise!  I especially like your post workout activity!

Vance, enjoy the 4 trail miles later!  That's something I want to find and try.  I do all of my runs on the many rural roads near my house.  I need to find a trail and branch out for some variety!

A quick story from yesterday - a mom at my school came in the office yesterday to pick up a absence request form for her daughter because she is running the Disney Marathon.  I remarked that my DH and I would like to run a Disney race sometime.  She then asked if I was a runner, and I told her that I was just a beginner, having been running just over a year, and that I just ran my first half in December.  She looked at me and told me that I wasn't a beginner anymore if I had run a half, and that I needed to be proud of my accomplishments.  It was such a nice surprise to have someone who I consider a "real runner" tell me that.   Then of course, she talked to me about how I too could run a marathon, and for the first time, I started thinking that maybe someday I could.

Have a great day!

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

Morning Colony!

At school already enjoying some oatmeal and coffee from starbucks! WOOT! Need something to get me thru this lecture until 3:30 today.......oh wait..I think we are only here until 1:30!!

We have lecture straight thru these next two weeks, then we dont have "lecture" we have 160 hours that we have a few weeks to complete working with a preceptor nurse. I still don't know where that is YET, but I am hoping it's for the oncology floor that I signed up for!!!

Patiently awaiting to seeeeee what our preceptor assignments are! UGH!

Have a great day, Penguins!

My first races EVER! 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning Penguins-

Gustav, our resident early bird, thanks for starting us off again. That's a LOT of exercising you deserved that wine for sure!!!

N Bug- enjoy your trail miles. I want to try trail running someday. That is a lot tougher to do living in a city!

Jerry- hope work slows down and you get out today!

Jen- what a nice encounter Smile

Tori- hope you get through those lectures coffee cures all

AFM- Yesterday I had no knee pain during walking and stairs, so I'm putting the count at 1. Not sure how many days I am going to try for this time before trying to run again....but I may just take the week off (booooo) just to be safe. But I still want to keep track. Sooo...1 and counting!!! Just got back from my first excursion to my new gym! Did 25 minutes on the elliptical with a resistance of "1" and an incline of "1" and went really easy. Nothing like the elliptical workouts I used to do, but I wanted to make sure it didn't make the ITB issues worse. Then I did a hip and core routine and stretched.

Have a great day!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Philliefan33

Good morning everyone.

Jen -- nice story.  FWIW, I still consider myself a beginner and I've also been running one year.

Jerry, Vance -- enjoy your runs later

Gustav -- you are an excerise maniac!

Tori -- Is this your last semester?

Has anyone seen Kara lately?  I don't think I've noticed a post from here since before Christmas.

AFM -- six miles planned for after work.  The forecast is predicting 50º -- I hope the weatherman is correct.

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

YES!! I graduate March 1!! AHH!! It's so closeee!!

Good morning everyone.

Jen -- nice story.  FWIW, I still consider myself a beginner and I've also been running one year.

Jerry, Vance -- enjoy your runs later

Gustav -- you are an excerise maniac!

Tori -- Is this your last semester?

Has anyone seen Kara lately?  I don't think I've noticed a post from here since before Christmas.

AFM -- six miles planned for after work.  The forecast is predicting 50º -- I hope the weatherman is correct.

My first races EVER! 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Kara swooped in last night check yesterday's thread Smile

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Bin Running

Did 8M with 4 @ 15k. Feeling good as an afternoon rain cooled it nicely for me.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  8 miles with strides tonight.  I got home after 6pm last night because the hearing lasted 3 hours.  Good thing it was an SRD.

Gustav, nice upper body workout.

Vance, enjoy work and the 4 trail miles.

Jerry, hope your day goes well.

Jen, enjoy your 3 later.

Tori, if coffee gets you through the lecture, use it.

kristin, hope the knee feels better soon.

Philliefan, enjoy your 6.

Bin Running, I recognize that workout from Pfitz.  One recommendation he makes is to do it at HMP instead (I think he said 15K to HMP).  He recommends slower runners (us) to do that.  I did the same workout but 9 with 4 @ HMP on Sunday (I am doing the 18/70), so I recognize that workout everywhere! Big grin

Have a nice day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Damaris, yes it's a pfitz! Smile

Noted. Will see how this workout affect my body and will probably adjust to hmp on next workout and do a comparison.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar