Beginners and Beyond

New Half Marathon Record Set (Read 104 times)

lewjeffrey

A six year old has recently set the record for youngest person to complete a half-marathon.  At the Showdown Half Marathon she finished with a time of 2:46:31 place fifth among 10 in the 14 and under category.  She wants to run a full marathon by the time she is 10, but her mother has some doubts.

You can read the full story here  http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/10/youngest-marathon-half-six-years-old/

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Interesting, but a bit much for that age in my opinion.

Of course, the story doesn't go into detail about how much  running/ walking. Even so simply walking that far for a 6 yo is damned far.

I figure if mine (7)  wants to go for a 10k she has at least another 1-2 years.

Hip Redux

The 6 year olds I know have the attention span of a gnat, let alone run straight for three hours.  More like run a little, pick some flowers, pet a dog, run over to the guy handing out water and ask a billion questions.....

Love the Half

I am all in favor of children being active but there is not enough evidence to support sending them out there to run for hours at a time.  While there may not be any science to support my position, I wouldn't encourage a child to run a half marathon before the ages of 12 or 13.  Then again, this article seems to indicate that there really isn't any known risk.

Running and Children

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Ric-G

does she qualify for nycm based on her half time? special under 7 age group?

most 6 year olds wouldn't want to do this...no matter what i wouldn't encourage kids that young to go that distance...obviously this case is the exception.

marathon pr - 3:16

happylily

I'm sure that in war time, or when whole populations are displaced for whatever reasons, many children, and very old people, become capable of what seems now incredible things, like running/walking miles and miles, day after day. We like to limit ourselves when there is nothing to motivate us.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

But yes, it's impressive that a 6 year old be motivated enough on her own to accomplish something like that!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

That the parents are runners I suppose is good...maybe, or they could be the impetus.  Whatever, that's their kid and what other people do with their kids is their business.  I would have a hard time allowing that regardless of what the science says.

RSX

I hope that her parents don't push her too hard. I used to help line up the first 2 corrals in Falmouth for years. 1 year I saw this tiny girl in the elite corral, and started thinking I hope the mom or dad gets her out of there soon. She turned around, and had a # for that corral so I was intrigued. She turned out to be 9 and ended up beating at least 80% of all the women that day. They interviewed her after she finished, and she mentioned being disappointed in her time. I googled her later, and found that her sister was a talented runner also but had too many injuries in her teens. The same happened to this girl also.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

A six year old has recently set the record for youngest person to complete a half-marathon.  At the Showdown Half Marathon she finished with a time of 2:46:31 place fifth among 10 in the 14 and under category.  She wants to run a full marathon by the time she is 10, but her mother has some doubts.

You can read the full story here  http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/10/youngest-marathon-half-six-years-old/

Interesting considering the list of single age record holders for the marathon goes all the way down to age 5 for both boys and girls. BTW the age 5 record for the marathon is 4:56:36 by Jennifer Amyx set back in 1975. Assuming even splits she would have reached the HM distance in 2:28:18, some 18:15 faster than this supposed record.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Hip Redux

INKnBURN just posted on FB about a 12 year old who finished the Javelina Jundred 100-miler.  And from his page, it looks like this wasn't his first 100 either.

Whoa.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

INKnBURN just posted on FB about a 12 year old who finished the Javelina Jundred 100-miler.  And from his page, it looks like this wasn't his first 100 either.

Whoa.

Colby and his parents are well known in the ultra world. They're also friends of Katrina.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.