Beginners and Beyond

Where is the triathlon forum? (Read 332 times)

sirdizzy

I am so done with this running thing Joking  I was hoping RWOL would change the format to make it more useable and get rid of the spam but that seems like a vain hope so I held off coming here because for the next six months I am only going to be worrying about triathlon training and was going to hang out in the triathlon board a lot more.

So maybe we can talk triathlons here.  Anyone know of some good training plans for a half ironman?  I dropped hints that I want the triathlon bible for Christmas hopefully that goes through.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

You need to look at the user groups. Here is one. www.runningahead.com/groups/triathletes Or here. http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Tri

Marjorie

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Joe Friel seems to be the tri training gospel. I hate how many of the tri plans want you to do HR training and will be looking for a good one without that.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

bulfrog

Mr Slowly

+1 for Joe Friel. read the triathletes training bible and make your own plan. 

Also check out beginner triathlete .com lots of tri talk there, and some good, free plans. 

Ironman, why be slow in 1 sport when you can be slow in 3

Shakedown Street

I am doing my first sprint in march...!!!

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Jne...That's awesome.  March is early...is it in a warm locale, or are you going to have to think about a wetsuit and maybe some booties and such?  I did my first this year, and my goal is to do an ironman next September.  I really don't want to give up my run training time at the moment though, so it's a tough balance to find, especially when my running goal for my next marathon is highest on my priority list.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Have you tried beginner triathlon.com. ? They are a pretty friendly and knowledgable group.

~Andrea

notimeforthat

Friel does HR training because while you can measure true workload on a bike with a power meter, you cannot measure that on a run or swim.

Endurance races are about being in an aerobic state for longer distances like Half IM and IM. Knowing how to train within those zones is kinda handy, but not a must.

This is more of a base season for most folks, so aerobic is where you should be in terms of putting in miles, etc.

What kind of bike did you ask for?

sirdizzy

I have done two sprints and one Olympic. I did an Olympic in September and a sprint in November. My half iron man is in may. I'll get another sprint in April as a tune up. I am taking swimming lessons starting in January my weakest discipline. Has anyone rented a bike for race day? I have a mid range aluminum road bike but was thinking of renting a carbon fiber for race day. Kind of the train heavy race light.
                    notimeforthat

I have done two sprints and one Olympic. I did an Olympic in September and a sprint in November. My half iron man is in may. I'll get another sprint in April as a tune up. I am taking swimming lessons starting in January my weakest discipline. Has anyone rented a bike for race day? I have a mid range aluminum road bike but was thinking of renting a carbon fiber for race day. Kind of the train heavy race light.

The only problem I see with that idea of renting a bike is this:

1. If you are getting a time trial bike (tri bike) then the position is a lot different that road bikes and it takes a while to adapt to the geometry of that type of cycling position.

2. If you are renting a roadie, then you will still have to adapt to that bike.

Carbon bikes are light, that is for sure, but the bike will not make you faster past a certain point. There are plenty of entry level bikes for triathlon that are not horribly expensive. Road bikes tend to run more than TT bikes in cost, at least mine have.

There is a guy here locally that got 2nd AG in his first tri using a mtn bike. It isn't ALWAYS about the bike Smile but about the legs that power it.

Shakedown Street

Jne...That's awesome.  March is early...is it in a warm locale, or are you going to have to think about a wetsuit and maybe some booties and such?  I did my first this year, and my goal is to do an ironman next September.  I really don't want to give up my run training time at the moment though, so it's a tough balance to find, especially when my running goal for my next marathon is highest on my priority list.

Yep, Texas. Indoor pool. 1st race of the season so it is short. I looked at the times last year-I can probably go top 3 in swim and bike, maybe top 5 in run for my AG.

FWIW dizzy, I will be riding a 15 year old aluminum road bike or maybe a steel road bike of the same vintage sans aero bars. I am going to attempt a few races before I worry about a dedicated bike. I second it is not about the bike, especially for short and mid length races unless your really fighting for an AG award.

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

sirdizzy

Yea that was one of my worries with renting a bike unless they let you rent in the entire week before to get some mileage on it and get used to it, it might cause as many problems as it allievates.  I am actually becoming a really strong rider few can stay with me on straights and downhills but I get crushed on uphills on the heavier bike.  I was hoping with a lighter bike it would help me on the uphills and the course is a brutal course with tons of climbing. 

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

re: bikes

"you don't make game day changes" THAT goes for ANY event for EVERY detail!!  Don't rent a bike for a day, don't try a new supplement and if you can help it don't wear NEW clothing.  Take out the unknowns and that will help tremendously!!

Having said that - I only can tell you about my experience with bikes......fit is NUMBER 1.  While frame material is important, FIT comes first!  Depending on the course, a heavier bike can have advantages too - IE: I find I get knocked all over the place on a REALLY windy day.  OR even though I'm the first up the hill, if a rider is close enough behind me and is heavier, he can usually pass me on the downhills.  Of course part of that could be technique too but I digress.

One more thing on frame material - you can't generalize and say that "carbon is better than steel" because in some cases, GOOD steel is better than BAD carbon.  Ever hear people complain that their carbon bike feels "dead" compared to their trusty steel frame?  That's why.....

This topic interests me a lot as I'd like to try my first triathlon spring 2013!! Big grin

sirdizzy

Do it MtnBikerChick I love triathlons, I have 4 planned for next year already, 2 sprints, an Olympic and a half ironman I am likely to add another Olympic too but its two weeks after my half ironman so I want to see how training goes.  Plus no clue on what recovery time will be like after a HiM.

I think I will just stick with my road bike I was just curious when I saw them offer race day rentals on carbons at one of the bike shops in town.

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Do it MtnBikerChick I love triathlons, I have 4 planned for next year already, 2 sprints, an Olympic and a half ironman I am likely to add another Olympic too but its two weeks after my half ironman so I want to see how training goes.  Plus no clue on what recovery time will be like after a HiM.

I think I will just stick with my road bike I was just curious when I saw them offer race day rentals on carbons at one of the bike shops in town.

There's a local series near my house that runs on Tuesday nights through the summer.  The best part is the bike is OFF ROAD so I really think I could tear it up!

Maybe we can both go shopping for tri bikes Wink