Beginners and Beyond

saw a ninja this morning (Read 398 times)

aponi

never runs the tangents

This morning I was out running with the dawg. He typically scans for snipers, zombies, and squirrels when we run. I noticed that he kept looking behind us and getting a bit agitated. Then I saw the source of his angst. There was a woman about half a block behind us but gaining pretty quickly clad entirely in black. Black tights, black shirt, black cap. Heck I didn’t notice but now I wonder if her shoes were also black. She did have a small  headlamp in need of new batteries so there was a tinge of pale yellow light. Also she was running on the right side of the road. Gosh what could possibly go wrong there?

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

@runjerseygirl

If you saw her, then she's a terrible ninja.  She should look for another job.  I am glad that you're thinking about zombie safety when you run. You can't be too careful.

Do you even run?

Mmmmm...beer

Most of my runs are in the dark, and I wonder sometimes if I'm the only person in my area that worries about visibility.  Every other runner/walker I see is usually in dark clothing and on the wrong side of the road.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

aponi

never runs the tangents

I wonder if the bright neon yellow shirt I was wearing is secretly allowing zombies and the like to target me more effectively. I have knuckle lights too. They are fabulous for blinding cars so they veer in my direction.

The ninja was breathing pretty hard. I think that is a fail in ninjaness.

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

If you saw her, then she's a terrible ninja.  She should look for another job.  I am glad that you're thinking about zombie safety when you run. You can't be too careful.

+1

You people have issues 

meaghansketch

My run on Monday ended well after dark and I was astonished to see how many people were out running dressed entirely in black from head to toe.  If I'm going somewhere between 5 and 6 miles per hour and I'm not seeing you until the last second before I run into you, it's time to rethink your clothing strategy.  (This was mostly on paths protected from cars, but still-- it's worth having a light- or bright- colored T-shirt to wear for evening runs!)

sugnim

Last night when I took my dog for a run, a lady going for a walk dressed all in black commented that it was "too funny" that I had a red blinky light on my dog.  I let her know that my dog appeared to be more intelligent than herself.

SheCan

+1

But then again, maybe she was only trying to be invisible to cars?

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Am I the only person that's noticed that MOST men's running gear comes in black or grey?  They may have a tiny strip of reflective, but the rest will be black or grey.  My fiance looks for a running jacket, and it's bright orange, LED lights and reflective everywhere.  Took her 5 minutes to find it.  You have to really look to find something for men that has both bright colors and reflective.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

flarunner

Am I the only person that's noticed that MOST men's running gear comes in black or grey?  They may have a tiny strip of reflective, but the rest will be black or grey.  My fiance looks for a running jacket, and it's bright orange, LED lights and reflective everywhere.  Took her 5 minutes to find it.  You have to really look to find something for men that has both bright colors and reflective.

Target. Champion C9 stuff. The Men's long sleeve shirts are white, royal blue, ok a black and a grey one, and neon yellow and neon orange.

flarunner

Most of my runs are in the dark, and I wonder sometimes if I'm the only person in my area that worries about visibility.  Every other runner/walker I see is usually in dark clothing and on the wrong side of the road.

A lot of times I'll gasp and say something along the lines of : "I could barely see you there" when I run past the black clad ones.

delicate flower

I wouldn't be surprised if aponi imagined the entire thing.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Funny, I was running in all black last night.  I do carry one Knuckle Lights but down here, is better not to be seen (because if you're seen, you might be kidnapped, raped, etc.).  I do use the Knuckle Lights when a car comes near but most of the time I am running on the sidewalk anyway and there are no runners around.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

:-)

I wouldn't be surprised if aponi imagined the entire thing.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Rungry!

I needed a warmer jacket, so I headed to my LRS and found one that fit my criteria. The only problem was that it only came in black or pink. I have a strict no-girly-girl-pink policy, so I was forced to buy the black one - I call it my ninja jacket and only wear it when it in REALLY COLD. Otherwise, I have an awesome neon yellow jacket that makes me hard to miss, even at 5AM.  Normally, black is a good color for me, but it doesn't make sense for running gear. You're either too hot in the sun or invisible at night.

Jen