Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES: When you cannot convince them... (Read 40 times)

LRB

LRB

Confuse the hell out of them.  Big grin

Doesn't take that much to confuse some of us.

Morning. SRD. Have a good one.

Dave

Morning, Rick. Thank you for starting today's thread. What's your plan for today?

DaveP MI, have a relaxing and refreshing rest day.

I used free weights to work my quads, hamstrings, and glutes last night. Tonight, I'll do six quarter-mile repeats. The increased speed 7.5mph(8:00) from 7.2mph (8:19), will make up for the decreased frequency. Perhaps I'll warm up with a few miles with the run club.

B-Plus

Good morning peeps. Have a great or confusing rest or interval day.

I'm running 8 in a bit.

StepbyStep-SH

I thought I was feeling better, and with two days rest and 60* temps, this morning should have rocked. Meh. Not so much. 4.84 miles (instead of 10, or at least the 7.5 I actually had time for) very slow with a couple of walk breaks. I'm not sure how martial arts will go tonight. I will probably sit out at the first sign of stomach issues and just use the time for stretching.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

delicate flower

What do you say there, jacks of all internets!  So my track workout went well last night, though I had to a take a couple of breaks due to sucking wind and letting the high school soccer team do their thing (first time there was a practice going on during my workout).  But the workout went well.  I took NTown Kevin's advice and just ran my 800's by feel.  I did 4 x 800 and 3 x 400.  Somehow I managed the run the 800's at the same pace I've been running my 400's.  I didn't expect that.  Averaged around a 6:50 pace for all the speed intervals.  I'm happy with that for my first crack at 800's.  I'll try to do them faster next time.  8 miles total at 7:39 avg pace.

So speaking of running, a local popular speedster (to me) asked if I wanted to join her group in the HM I'm running on Sept 13.  It's a handful of runners and they are shooting for a 1:32ish finish, which I think is right in my wheelhouse.  I may take her up on the offer.  I've never raced in a pack though.  Am I supposed to lead at all like in a group of cyclists?  What happens if we're in the late miles and I feel I can go faster?  I'd feel like a jerk pulling away from the group.  "Thanks for the ride, see you at the finish!"  I wouldn't care if this was just a pace group, but these are people I know.  Part of me also would like to run the race entirely on my own merits without "using" other runners.  I am definitely flattered that they see me as a running equal though.  Smile   I don't know....I am such a NOOB!!

<3

happylily

Back from my 11 miler. 7:48 overall pace, 6x800m @ 6:46 avg pace, with 400m jog intervals. Good enough for today, as it was already very humid. Now bath, then beach. The sun is bright and the sky is pure blue. Rick's Fish 'n Chips for lunch later.

Have a great day, everyone!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!!

I'm back. Smile  Had a great time out on the lake, with my brother trying to kill me on the towable. lol  Man, that thing is a workout when you're holding on for dear life!  I don't know the math involved, but the physics of being at the end of a 50ft rope that's attached to a boat doing 30 knots and then swinging out during a turn = some serious speed!

Had my club's scholarship 5k last night.  Great weather for late July, mid 70s, dewpoint in the low 60s.  I had to run without my Garmin, because somewhere in my travels I lost my cradle (picking up a new one today).  I thought, no problem, I'll use my trusty ironman watch and do manual splits, because the club *always* has mile markers at their races, except someone forgot them this time.  So I had no clue what pace I was running, or even where I was on the course, makes it tough to play those mental games, you're halfway there, only a mile left, etc.  Anyway, ran a 19:16 and took 1st place in my AG on a course that had more turns than a circus fun house (it was on the walking path of the botanical gardens, so it was twisting and turning everywhere!).  I'll take it.  Looking forward to a faster course in cooler weather, should be able to put down some good numbers this fall. Smile

Plan says 5 recovery, but I'll probably do more like 7 or 8 after work later.

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

What do you say there, jacks of all internets!  So my track workout went well last night, though I had to a take a couple of breaks due to sucking wind and letting the high school soccer team do their thing (first time there was a practice going on during my workout).  But the workout went well.  I took NTown Kevin's advice and just ran my 800's by feel.  I did 4 x 800 and 3 x 400.  Somehow I managed the run the 800's at the same pace I've been running my 400's.  I didn't expect that.  Averaged around a 6:50 pace for all the speed intervals.  I'm happy with that for my first crack at 800's.  I'll try to do them faster next time.  8 miles total at 7:39 avg pace.

So speaking of running, a local popular speedster (to me) asked if I wanted to join her group in the HM I'm running on Sept 13.  It's a handful of runners and they are shooting for a 1:32ish finish, which I think is right in my wheelhouse.  I may take her up on the offer.  I've never raced in a pack though.  Am I supposed to lead at all like in a group of cyclists?  What happens if we're in the late miles and I feel I can go faster?  I'd feel like a jerk pulling away from the group.  "Thanks for the ride, see you at the finish!"  I wouldn't care if this was just a pace group, but these are people I know.  Part of me also would like to run the race entirely on my own merits without "using" other runners.  I am definitely flattered that they see me as a running equal though.  Smile   I don't know....I am such a NOOB!!

Nice job on the intervals. It's a process.

Regarding the pack race, I don't know anything about anything. But all I have to say is that if you're in the late miles & feel like you can go faster, and anyone has a problem with you taking off on your own, IMHO they are neither friends nor runners.

Dave

happylily

Phil, what if you are the slower one? Will you expect everyone to stay with you? I think it's fair to ask the question directly to the woman who invited you in the group.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

Phil, what if you are the slower one? Will you expect everyone to stay with you? I think it's fair to ask the question directly to the woman who invited you in the group.

Heck no!  Keep up or get dropped!

Thanks for the input, DaveMI!

<3

LRB

Morning, Rick. Thank you for starting today's thread. What's your plan for today?

7 easy, and they are done!

LRB

Back from my 11 miler. 7:48 overall pace, 6x800m @ 6:46 avg pace, with 400m jog intervals.

What movie did you see?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I finally can say I feel better today.  RD but maybe I'll do a PiYo workout.

I'm confused.

Damaris