Beginners and Beyond

What do you eat? (Read 151 times)

Have you considered that you may not be eating enough?   Strict calorie restriction can work against you sometimes.

I would suggest seeing a dietitian, too, that specializes in sports nutrition.  Could help you figure out the right balance of calories for weight loss and also maintaining your exercise routine (which is really a difficult balance to find).

+1

With all the training you put in, I can almost guarantee you aren't eating enough.

There is a table in the book that suggests a recommended carb intake based on hours/week of training.  I'm not sure how many hours per week you are putting in, but at 11-14 hrs/week, for example, you should be eating 8-9g carbs/kg of body weight (ideal race weight).  So a man whose ideal race weight is 70 kg should be eating 595g of carbs daily, or 2,380 calories worth - of just carbs!

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

happylily

Uhh.... Rick told him to never do that again? Wink

hahaha!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

Hipfan, give me a break... I'm sure you're as lean as can be. You're probably very muscular. You do more than just running, right? You do strength work as well, don't you? I think that if you want to be a bit lighter, you'll have to cut down somewhat on the upper body work. Maybe replace with more running? How many hours per week do you run/workout now? Still on the crazy schedule?

I've cut down on the weights, currently running around 70 mpw give or take, and doing about 6-7 gym classes a week though now mostly Power Cycle classes and Cardio Bootcamps. It sure as heck hasn't affected my energy level as I'm hyper as I've ever been and in fact I got 3 new PR's in the month of June as well! Smile

Oski - I have tried to eat a little more, but it really quickly shows up on the scale. A good balance for me is easily under 2000 calories, even on days like last Saturday when I ran 25+ total miles in the Las Vegas heat.

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

Thank you, everyone.  I really do appreciate all your input.  Goes to show that not everyone is perfect in the eating department.  Feeling much better now!

You Rang?

I eat lots and lots of fast food, but don't seem to be running any faster. Big grin

Seriously, I dropped 140 lbs.  in 2012 and have kept it off by counting calories via Lose it!.   Treating the depression that caused me to pack on the pounds made taking the weight off much easier.  I must be approaching an ideal weight as I'm still losing, but very very slowly.

When it comes to diet, I eat almost anything and everything.  I travel too much for work, and eat way too many meals in restaurants.  With very little control over the preparation of my food, I have found the key to my success seems to be portion control.  Running has given me the mental acuity to log the food in Lose It and live a calorically limited life. Running has also given me a caloric buffer.  Oh and I also gave up diet soda completely, and that was a heck of a monkey.  The only time I drink coke is with a finisher's medal around my neck from a half marathon or longer or with Jack Daniels while sitting in the first class cabin of American Airlines.

Rick

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

Don't call me Buttercup!

I'm a terrible eater. I don't really like fast food and I'm not really into "junk" food (chips and things), but I do tend to eat more than I should, just out of boredom sometimes, and I really, really, really like cheese and bread.  No wonder I can't lose these last 9 lbs!

I was skinny for most of my life, till I got married, quit smoking, and gained 30 lbs.  I was 168 at my heaviest and am now 154, hoping to get back to 145, which will still be heavier than I used to be, but I'm ok with that.    My only success at losing weight has been with calorie counting, but it is SO BORING and TEDIOUS to me that I usually only make it a week or two and then quit and a few months later, start again.  If I could just stick with it for two months straight, I'd get to my goal weight and not have to worry anymore! Jeez.  

I will say that when I don't count calories, I don't GAIN weight, so that's good.  I just can't lose without really focusing on what I'm eating and how much.

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to!