Beginners and Beyond

Another reason to be a runner, not a jogger (Read 283 times)

runfoolery

From the Cleveland Clinic:

Although SCD [Sudden Cardiac Death] in athletes is rare, media coverage often makes it seem like it is more prevalent. In the younger population, most SCD occurs while playing team sports; in about one in 100,000 to one in 300,000 athletes, and more often in males. In older athletes (35 years and older), SCD occurs more often while running or jogging – in about one in 15,000 joggers and one in 50,000 marathon runners.

Actually, I infer from the phrasing that the only time one is running is when participating in a marathon. I hope that's not what they meant.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

What about marathon joggers?

runfoolery

You mean the African slowpokes who can only run a 2:06?

Jenven

Non-trolling question. What is the difference between running and jogging? Pace? Distance? Have to wear a walkman attached to your shorts to be a jogger?

Started C25K on 9/6/12. First 5K set for 1/13/13.

runfoolery

According to dictionary.reference.com, jogging (7) is a subset of running (1), which is defined as moving faster than a walk so that at some point in the movement, both feet are off the ground. Jogging is running at a leisurely pace.

You could refer to easy runs as jogging, according to that definition.. LtH refers to recovery runs as recovery jogs to remind himself that he should take it easier than easy.

The problem is that some people separate jogging from running by pace, when it's more a matter of effort, at least according to this definition.

Walk-Jogger

According to dictionary.reference.com, jogging (7) is a subset of running (1), which is defined as moving faster than a walk so that at some point in the movement, both feet are off the ground. Jogging is running at a leisurely pace.

You could refer to easy runs as jogging, according to that definition.. LtH refers to recovery runs as recovery jogs to remind himself that he should take it easier than easy.

The problem is that some people separate jogging from running by pace, when it's more a matter of effort, at least according to this definition.

When I was young and foolish, in my 30's, I considered anything slower than a 7 minute per mile pace to be jogging. Given that joggers appear to be dropping like flies from SCD, I'm happy to have now altered that definition to several minutes slower per mile. 

Retired &  Loving It

@runjerseygirl

I run an average of 11:00 pace.  I repeat.  I RUN.  It's all subjective.

Do you even run?

Wow, I'll pass this along to my mom.  She's sure I'm going to drop dead from a heart attack during a run.