Beginners and Beyond

SaturDAILIES (Read 40 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

JJs shoesday I like that Smile for me too!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Will run for scenery.

Mr. O has those Adidas, and he really likes them.  Hope they work out for you, jjs!

So just who is this Mr. O ?  Have we ever met him ?  Any blurry partial photos ?   Maybe Dave can work on that, too ....

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Russians burn "mother winter" in effigy

winter effigy

In Russia, Belarus and Ukraine, people burn an effigy made of straw, wood and cloth, which represents Mother Winter. The tradition marks the end of Maslenitsa, a week-long carnival that says goodbye to the winter season.

Along with the bonfire, people celebrating the religious and folk holiday also eat plenty of traditional pancakes, known as bliny, and participate in epic snowball fights, snow fort wars, sledding and sleigh rides.

I'm all for this *right now*.

"We don't need no water, let that motherfucker burn.  Burn motherfucker, burn."

happylily

I SPIT ON WINTER!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

I SPIT ON WINTER!

I shit on it!   

happylily

I shit on it!   

LOL! Even better. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Russians burn "mother winter" in effigy

There were some interesting winter traditions in that link, like maple flavored snow and pickles!

Will run for scenery.

Oh, man! Maslenitsa is the bomb.  A perfect blend of awesomeness and WTF.  Literally translated, it comes out something like "ButterFest". Mkay. Nuff said. But I'll go on.

It goes on for like a week or so.  There's one day where son-in-laws make bliny for mothers-in-law.  Another day where nieces make bliny for uncles.  And so on.  Bottom line : you eat a butt-load of bliny.

Bliny are basically crepes.  You can cover them with butter and eat them.  You can cover them with jam and eat them. You can cover them with sour cream and eat them.  You can cover them with smoked salmon and eat them.  You can cover them with Beluga caviar and eat them.  Remember Forrest Gump ?  The shrimp scene ? That's the idea.  Bliny = Awesomeness.

For afficionados of WTF, there's the waltzing on ice.  The group fistfights.  The bear in the wagon. And the group fistfights are for realz.  Everybody (male) lines up, and when they say "go" you beat the crap outta everybody (male) else.  Blood, facial fractures, teeth falling out - it's all part of the fun.  And nobody wants to miss out on fun.  I assume that's after filling your belly with bliny, and a fair amount of "little water" (vodka).

And yes : a bear in a wagon.  Like I said : WTF ?

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

B-Plus

About 2 miles