Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins like their coffee HOT! (Read 27 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Jerry - I hope you're either not going to Men's Warehouse, or have better luck than I do there.

Lauren - Nice pace.  I hope everything goes well Thursday.

Philliefan - If you have to run on a treadmill, fartleks aren't a bad way to go.  I find that I get bored on a treadmill, and start bumping up the speed repeatedly to get the miles over more quickly.  Of course, sometimes they're hotel treadmills and I doubt they're calibrated correctly.  Who knows how fast I'm really going?

D - Admit it.  You went shirtless because you hate laundry as much as I do.

N-Bug - Heck yeah!  Get after it.

T-Rod - It think you can take the headlamp off now...lol  It looks plenty bright there, and standing next to that sign with the headlamp on....well.

Kristin - After lukewarm coffee, and a rest day...I think I'd just go to bed early...lol

Bin - I wonder if you could just run in scuba gear.  Bring your own fresh air type of thing.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

GinnyinPA

We're still on the road.  We were in Massachusetts for a couple of days.  Our trip was postponed a couple of days because of the heat early last week, and it completely messed up our plans.  Probably a good thing because traffic near Boston is insane.  I got a short and very slow rocky trail run in one day and a walk on the beach another. Today we headed toward NY to meet some friends and the high  was only 72 deg. all day.  I went for 5 miles around the town of Lake George.  The back streets are good for running, but I wanted to check out restaurants so had to dodge tourists for a mile or so.  I don't know how much running I'll be able to do while visiting our friends, but I'll try.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Scotty - I don't know how non-coffee drinkers do it.  Not only is it delicious, but it has health benefits.  The health benefits are my excuse.  Nice cartoon!

Lauren - That recipe is going to get me in trouble.

She Can - That sounds like a fun adventure, but probably doesn't sounds as fun when you're tired.  I don't blame you.

HopesMom - I don't think I could do the barefoot thing.  I'm afraid I'd step on something sharp, or worse...dog poop.

Jack - The first 3 weeks were right around 50 miles, which I'd done before.  This was just a matter of doing it consistently.  The last week was increased at the rate recommended by Jack Daniels.  Also, I did run some doubles, which seem to be easier to recover from.  As I enter phase II, my mileage will be down as the quality workouts are added.  My legs feel good, but I am looking forward to some faster paces other than just strides.

Zel - When I run significantly slower I have to pay close attention to my cadence.  I like to keep my cadence high, which means that to really slow down I have to shorten up my stride a LOT.  Long slow strides are higher impact though.

CoralieT - Everybody has those days.  I'm just glad that they don't come too often.  It's hard to know when to push through a day like that, and when to just call it a day.

T-Rod - Nice socks brother.

tracilynn - I've always found level 2 to be more challenging.  I think it just depends on what you're best at, but any of the 3 levels is a pretty good workout for only being 20 minutes.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Philliefan33

Well the rain moved out so I was able to get almostb5 miles of Fartleks done outside.

Coralie, some days are like that. Live to fight another day!

Zel-- I love berry picking in Oregon. My in-laws who live there just do not appreciate the abundance of berries, and when we visit I'm always going out to pick blackberries (I just use the generic term because I can't tell the difference between Cascade berries or Marion berries etc).   In fact last year I stopped for a snack while out for a run Blush

Tomas-- sweet shoes!

Scotty-- Running Wizard is a semi-custom plan available online. You enter some data about your running experience, what goal distance, and when you want to start training and you automagically get a plan. I read about it out on the main boards and it gets good reviews. Since I just made up my own plan for my first HM, I decided to try a purchased plan this time. Its based on Lydiard principles (if that means anything to you).   I like that it explains the purpose of each run, points out common mistakes, and ranks each run for the week according to importance so if you have to make modifications you can choose wisely. I'm registered for my next half marathon on November 16.

Zelanie

Awood- Did you call up my PT?  Because he said the same thing today when I went in.  My job this week is to watch my cadence.  Oh, and I can join the 6-mile club with you guys today, because with the mile at PT I ran 6 today. Smile

Ginny- Sounds like a great trip!

Margo- I stop for a snack almost every time when the blackberries are ripe!  On my newest route (I found a way to avoid the biggest hill since that does set my knee off), somebody has ripe raspberries growing along the sidewalk.  I'm trying to decide if they're fair game or not since they're right there.  And also trying to figure out if I can grab one without stopping. Smile

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

He's been stalking my online activity.  It wouldn't be the first time I've been stalked online.  That's how I met my wife.

Awood- Did you call up my PT?  Because he said the same thing today when I went in.  My job this week is to watch my cadence.  Oh, and I can join the 6-mile club with you guys today, because with the mile at PT I ran 6 today. Smile

Ginny- Sounds like a great trip!

Margo- I stop for a snack almost every time when the blackberries are ripe!  On my newest route (I found a way to avoid the biggest hill since that does set my knee off), somebody has ripe raspberries growing along the sidewalk.  I'm trying to decide if they're fair game or not since they're right there.  And also trying to figure out if I can grab one without stopping. Smile

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Zelanie

You married your stalker?

He's been stalking my online activity.  It wouldn't be the first time I've been stalked online.  That's how I met my wife.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

She's the best.  Stalkers are good listeners, and always seem to know just what you need to hear.  You're never lonely, when you have a stalker Big grin

You married your stalker?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Zelanie

Sounds like this relationship is going to go to Hell.  Oh wait...

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Traci: You're over 33? Come on! If that is true your avi picture must be 15 years old!

Jack! I LOOOOVE YOUBig grin

Lol! I'm glad I could help. Love you too!! Smile

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Big grin

Sounds like this relationship is going to go to Hell.  Oh wait...

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

5.5 miles this evening.

Bin Running

Awood, I propably has to do a C25K in scuba gears.. haa Running with a N95 mask but I think it's like breathing thru a thick sock..

Jack, no RR is ok I guess but we need some photo proof..

Tomas, nice shoes! Scotty has one of those I think?

Margo & Mel, so lucky of you two to be able to snack on berries while on a run..

Mel, welcome to headband club..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin- thanks man. Why does Scotty have only one?

Awood- as far as the lamp goes, I like that it keeps sweat out of my eyes and that I don't have to worry about it in my pocket. You will learn the ways of the black socks. Running socks, work socks, yard mowing socks. Multi- purpose Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Jerry - I hope you're either not going to Men's Warehouse, or have better luck than I do there.

Awood, we are using Jos. A. Bank.  It's a gray herringbone, so what color running shoes should I get to go with it?