Beginners and Beyond

Soggy Sunday Penguins (Read 29 times)

Sloooow.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Sloooow.

Hell must've frozen over, been sat in the car for an hour waiting for a penguins thread, then figured out I could copy/paste the intro Smile

Heading to New Orleans for a 5K, should have stayed in bed! Its chucking it down, youngest has already thrown up twice with car sickness, ahh! Got an email from the RD saying race could be cancelled if there is area direct to ground lightning, so could be going 160 miles for nada.

Happy Sunday, all!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good morning Coralie and other penguins soon to follow!

Coralie- hope your race goes on - without any lightning. If it gets cancelled you could always go to the "Cats Meow" on Bourbon Street and do some karaoke!

Looking to get in 5-6 miles tonight with some hills.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Sloooow.

Good morning Coralie and other penguins soon to follow!

Coralie- hope your race goes on - without any lightning. If it gets cancelled you could always go to the "Cats Meow" on Bourbon Street and do some karaoke!

Looking to get in 5-6 miles tonight with some hills.

It's the French Quarter festival this weekend, so we'll probably hit the aquarium and see what is going on in the French Quarter.

Hope your 5-6 goes well!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning.  Have fun in New Orleans, Coralie.  Hope you get the race in.  Good luck all Sunday racers.

Going up to 70 today, so we will do a short run later (maybe even by the Lake).

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I did 8 miles with MP +10% and MP miles.  More miles tonight and heavy weights after that.

CoralieT, thanks for starting the thread.  Good luck on your 5K.  Hope you get to run it.

Gustav, enjoy your hill workout tonight.

Jerry, enjoy the LR.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Sloooow.

It's cancelled. Got here 20 minutes a go. My luck!

Zelanie

Morning!  One-mile shakeout run complete, coffee almost done, and then time to get ready to run!  My race doesn't start until 9:30 AM Pacific, though.  Also, I can't post to the forums from my phone lately, so likely my only update for a while will be on Facebook.

The article that I'm in came out today, as part of their "running" coverage of the local half marathon.  I thought it came out pretty well, though I hope that I said that I walked my first 5K two years ago, not last year.  Not a terrible error if there's going to be one.

Here it is (with two photos!).

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Oh no Coralie Sad boo!!!

I have 3 easy miles on tap. I don't have much to do today other than chore and errand stuff, so I'm not in a rush to get out the door. I want it to warm up a little so I can wear a skirt, because it is sunny and supposed to get up to the mid 60s.

A few questions for you guys.... so I decided to sign up for a 5K next Sunday. I had it tentatively in the schedule but didn't register... it was going to be my "second chance" race if I fell short of sub-30 in my 5K last weekend. Since I reached that goal, I'm unsure how to approach this race. I decided to do it because it is for a really good cause (raising money for America's VetDogs which provides service dogs, guide dogs and therapy dogs to veterans with disabilities), is near my boyfriend's house and he would come to the race with me and participate in the dog walk that is going on as part of the event with his doggie and it should be a fun day. As you all know, I have an injury history and don't want to push it by running all-out 2 weeks after an all-out 5K. Also, I decided that I need to make sure I stay on track with base building and building up my long runs because I have a 10K in 5 weeks and a 10 miler in 2 months. If I was going for an all-out effort in attempts to PR next Sunday at the 5K that would probably mean extra rest days. I want to do a 5 mile LR  the day before the 5K. Any advice on how to approach the 5K as not to get in the way of training for my 10K next month? Progression run? Just run it easy and have fun?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Morning all!  My apologies but I am running behind as usual this morning.  Here is the link to my, rather verbose, RR for the 2013 Traverse City Trail Festival 25k.  Feed back is appreciated!

Have a rockin' day!

http://vancewillrun.blogspot.com/

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Gonna read it now Vance!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Sloooow.

Amazing, N-bug! I'm so glad it worked out in the end!

Morning all!  My apologies but I am running behind as usual this morning.  Here is the link to my, rather verbose, RR for the 2013 Traverse City Trail Festival 25k.  Feed back is appreciated!

Have a rockin' day!

http://vancewillrun.blogspot.com/

hog4life

Coralie, sorry you got cancelled, make the day the best you can.

Zel, good luck.

Vance, enjoy the day, I'll check the RR after church.

Jerry, Gustav, enjoy your runs.

Damaris, nice miles.

I'm hoping for some recovery miles after church. It may rain here today so it could turn into a lazy day. Oh, I put some puppy pics in yesterday's thread.

hog4life

Kristin, since you made your sub 30, how about being a pacer for someone? Kinda like I did for Jimmy. If you could run it at your easy pace that would help push someone a bit. This would be easy for you and save all your other goals. Maybe like 34-36 minutes or something like that.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Kristin, since you made your sub 30, how about being a pacer for someone? Kinda like I did for Jimmy. If you could run it at your easy pace that would help push someone a bit. This would be easy for you and save all your other goals. Maybe like 34-36 minutes or something like that.

That would be cool except I don't know anyone doing the race Sad it's by where my boyfriend lives, and I don't know anyone there except him and he doesn't run!