Beginners and Beyond

Taking a Break (Read 109 times)

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Thanks guys, I feel a lot better after making that decision on not doing the LBL (okay... not doing the training). I really don't know what I was thinking, starting my next training cycle for my 2nd marathon so soon after my first... what the fuck was I thinking???? My first two half marathons were a year apart damn it. I had no idea just how drained I was from the training until a couple weeks ago... right now the idea of getting up on Sundays for runs longer than 15 miles has me wondering what the fuck is wrong with me  lol, and really it was the pressure of the LBL marathon looming over me.

Part of the process:

You just came off of training into taper - ie: taper = not doing what you are accustomed too.

You just ran the race which was must less overall effort than months of training - ie: endorphin's, excitement, and a sense of accomplishment - and gee it was easy!  (compared to training)

You want and know you can do better - the iron is HOT!  Strike strike!

Then - the realization of all the sacrifice, the actual fatigue, the almost disbelief that you put in the miles that you did... and the idea of doing it again is demoralizing.

Again, I feel you.   All the above I went through and am going through  - I know I can smoke a sub 3 hour - different course and *much* better execution I WANT TOO!    It makes so much sense - but damn...

So after agonizing, pondering and questioning many friends - I am choosing to listen to my coach.  Time to do the original plan and focus on 5 & 10k.  Some HMs in there for good measure.. Focus on speed/ and more importantly race experience.

That decision takes all the pressure I self imposed.

In the end - you need to feel Free to relax and recenter your priorities.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Part of the process:

You just came off of training into taper - ie: taper = not doing what you are accustomed too.

You just ran the race which was must less overall effort than months of training - ie: endorphin's, excitement, and a sense of accomplishment - and gee it was easy!  (compared to training)

You want and know you can do better - the iron is HOT!  Strike strike!

Then - the realization of all the sacrifice, the actual fatigue, the almost disbelief that you put in the miles that you did... and the idea of doing it again is demoralizing.

Again, I feel you.   All the above I went through and am going through  - I know I can smoke a sub 3 hour - different course and *much* better execution I WANT TOO!    It makes so much sense - but damn...

So after agonizing, pondering and questioning many friends - I am choosing to listen to my coach.  Time to do the original plan and focus on 5 & 10k.  Some HMs in there for good measure.. Focus on speed/ and more importantly race experience.

That decision takes all the pressure I self imposed.

In the end - you need to feel Free to relax and recenter your priorities.

Truth lol.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

StepbyStep-SH

Yay for you and DS (everyone else can talk the running part of it).

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Brilliant

I admire you for being willing to make an adjustment in your goals to do what's best for your son.  Heck, my kids are grown (18 and 21) and I still change up my training sometimes to spend more time with the fam.  For example, I move some of my long runs up from Saturday to Friday when kids and hubby are at school/work.  Or wait to leave for my weekday run until after my daughter is up & about so I can chat with her, help her with breakfast, etc. before she leaves for a long day of school and work.

I'm sure you'll find the right balance for your family!

happylily

I sincerely hope that your problems with your son get solved soon, FS. You have a whole life in front of you, do not anguish about training at this point. You are too young for that, really, and have more important things in your life. Good luck!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks all, looks like there is a silver lining... at least it looks that way. A pediatrician in New Albany is willing to see Dorian next Tuesday, it's an hour and a half drive but I'll take it. They are rumored to be friendly towards parents who want to delay vaccines, not so much parents who don't want to vaccinate at all but I can lie just enough to get him in and get the First Steps papers signed off... then just keep looking for a doc who will be okay with my decisions (which looks like that would be all the way up near Indy).

I've been thinking for the last few days.... I won't be able to do the training for the marathon BUT... they do have a 23k distance on that same loop which is roughly 14 miles and that is basically a long run for me and would be nothing to maintain mileage through winter for. We'd still get our 4 day vacation in a cute little cottage with the lake front that is huge, and I would get to experience the trails.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I say take a break. I've been on a break since June. I got extremely busy and stressed at work, and one day I went to run and just couldn't do it. I was like, "I'm done." I wanted to go on vacation and not worry about getting X miles in. I wanted to spend more time with my family and my boyfriend. I sorta felt like a big letdown, but you know what? 6 months later, and my highest mileage week has been 20, but I'm less stressed, happy in my relationships and with the extra time to spend with friends and family, and running when I want to is actually fun again. Your son and your family are more important than running. Give them the time and the undivided attention they deserve from you.

My thought is this. You know what you are capable of doing when you really train (as I do, myself). You don't need to prove yourself over and over again to anyone. Enjoy your life and your family time and be proud of what you accomplished because nothing can take that away from you, and an extended break doesn't lessen those accomplishments or make them worth less.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Cyberic

Free - running is something we do, not who we are.  Family is so much more.

If you don't run for awhile - no big deal.

^^This

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Right now running is just gonna maintain my fitness but mostly my sanity  and silence my demons and insecurities.

I ain't gonna worry about a training cycle until spring.....or summer...or something like that. 

Things are looking up in most areas now, just gonna keep rollin along.

PRs