Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: iRun Texas Shamrock Shuffle 5K (Read 19 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO and SHORT REPORT

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

My 12th race of 2014, held on March 15, 2015 at McAllister Park in San Antonio. Put on by iRun Texas, a very good local running store that has 3 branches in San Antonio.   8:30 a.m. start time, a bit overcast, temp of 56 degrees, low humidity, low dew-point, very little wind;  an ideal running day for most folks, but those of you who know me best know that I prefer it  warmer and sunny.   Even so, nice running conditions in the largest park in San Antonio.  I live only a mile from the park and have done a lot of races and training runs at this park.  For the majority of 5K races here, the courses are completely flat; however Mitch, the co-owner of iRun Texas, likes hills, so of course he had us do the only 5K course in the park that included a hill, lol.  Not a long hill, just a short hill, but a hill that does go just about straight up.  When I got to the hill, there was a lady in front of me pushing a double baby stroller and she went up that hill in no time, it was pretty darn impressive...I chased almost all the way to the finish and finally caught her just before the finish line, - and told her as I passed her that that was some pretty impressive running with a double stroller - and I ended with a 34:45 chip time, with double stroller lady close behind me.  I was still 4th in my age group - apparently there were some speedy old 60+ men out there today, lol.   I walked around and did a cool-down and then tried to find Double Stroller Lady to get a photo of her, but apparently my old age has deteriorated my sight a little because, if she was there post-race,  I never did see her.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Before the Start

As said, I only live about a mile from the park where this course was held, so I was able to sleep in a bit late for a change.   Arrived at the race start/finish site with about 40 minutes to go to start time.

Race Report host,  Yours Truly

photo 004_zpsqkprhcao.jpg

Mitch of iRun Texas.  One of the nicest guys in the world.

photo 006_zpsby9w303i.jpg

My running pals, Loyce and Gene, who over the year do a lot of the same races that I do.

photo 011_zpscbd8utdp.jpg

iRun Texas tent area, with one of its many great staff people.  Love their events and all their employees are really great folks, helpful, outgoing, friendly.  And some really darn talented runners among them too.

photo 047_zpsxus0he2x.jpg

photo 048_zpsmk4ylalp.jpg

Some of the pre-start participants, volunteers, supporters, etc...

photo 001_zpsg9rv9xi6.jpg

photo 003_zpsmurcktkf.jpg

photo 005_zpsqfvtcolu.jpg

photo 007_zpsalwxbvnf.jpg

photo 008_zpszmw24whw.jpg

photo 009_zpsq8o5vcne.jpg

photo 010_zpse17kfiuc.jpg

photo 013_zpsj8foqipz.jpg

photo 014_zpsvb8m6xwo.jpg

photo 015_zpsgup9xxq1.jpg

photo 016_zpsmuh2wk2s.jpg

photo 017_zpsnaz2oihh.jpg

photo 018_zpsgk81bfox.jpg

photo 019_zpsvggzixpo.jpg

photo 020_zpsadqnrubz.jpg

photo 021_zpsiowxcjpa.jpg

photo 022_zpslg2pv9ox.jpg

photo 023_zpsnjip9exk.jpg

Getting ready to start...

photo 024_zpsbtfaglzg.jpg

On the Course

McAllister Park is a mix of paved trails and off-road trails, baseball fields, and soccer fields, activity pavilions, playground areas for the kiddies of all ages, a police substation on one edge of it, and a golf driving range borders another side of it. It is also a 'protected wildlife' park, so various critters and deer abound in this park. It is a very popular San Antonio park with lots of restrooms and water fountains all around it, so lots of runners training for various races do their training here as they don't have to carry water and have pretty quick access to restrooms when needed.  The 5K route today was done on the paved park trails.

photo 025_zpsvy51jhiu.jpg

photo 026_zpsejinvkuc.jpg

photo 027_zps7brzvz3k.jpg

photo 032_zps0oxsm829.jpg

photo 033_zpshdaskbqj.jpg

photo 034_zpsbuqrolog.jpg

After the Finish

This lady and I were pretty much in proximity of each other for most of the race and finished pretty closely together.

photo 035_zpswyp1jry7.jpg

photo 036_zpstpddsmnf.jpg

Post-race goodies included various types of bagels, various fruits, water, and sodas.  Also Shiner Bock beer post race...good stuff, that Shiner Bock, oh yeah.

photo 044_zpsqlrp1qol.jpg

This little doggie had her own number and helped 'pull" her lady human  - wearing her medal - to an AG award

photo 053_zpsqwlyokmq.jpg

photo 055_zpscwfprmob.jpg

Another canine friend, "Bowser", whom I first met at the Be My Valentine 5K this year.   Great dog and very friendly. His human pals here are pretty nice too!

photo 042_zpsmz8gtidq.jpg

Three tries with my two friends here, trying to get a face-on shot of the doggie with them.  Dogs apparently have a mind of their own when it comes to photo-taking, lol.    I will let my friends decide which of these three shots they like best.

photo 039_zpsdibbb3tu.jpg

photo 040_zpskv83yses.jpg

photo 041_zpsci9mjaug.jpg

A few of my running community acquaintances, all of whom are speedy and got medals, including Liza Galvan, who once attended the university I work for.  Liza, a native of New Zealand, and one of the nicest ladies you could ever meet, was on the New Zealand Olympic team.

photo 052_zps3dxdmtlm.jpg

My pals, Gene and Loyce, each won an award in their age group

photo 056_zpsg0u4i0jb.jpg

Other "Happy Finishers", supporters, volunteers, et al.

photo 037_zpseti9bqos.jpg

photo 038_zpsg66ezlnm.jpg

photo 043_zpsdrdfjxzq.jpg

photo 045_zpsiwzbdaou.jpg

photo 046_zpsq5tkqrcx.jpg

photo 049_zpswsr1jlzu.jpg

photo 050_zps6tdsgnvv.jpg

photo 051_zpseidletao.jpg

photo 057_zpsoyqdk4e6.jpg

Epilog

Very nice event, well organized as all the iRun Texas events are.  Nice weather overall, lots of friendly folks on site, very nice race venue, nice post-race goodies, and a very nice course  - even with the little steep hill near the end.     Seriously, the course route was well thought-out and took us along the best part of the trails that don't have as much 'wear-and-tear' on them as some of the trails in the park, so kudos to the person who laid this out for us.    Mucho thanks to all the law enforcement, volunteers, iRun staff, sponsors, etc. who made all this happen and were out there for we participants today.   Definitely a St. Patrick[s Day race to keep on your running calendar!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

That park looks like a great place to race.  Nice to get beer again too.

LRB

You show all 32 of them chick-lets when a beer is in your hand. lol