Beginners and Beyond

Happy MLK Mondailies! (Read 73 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Morning B&B! I ran a last minute 5k on saturday for a 20:15 PR. Crushed my 5k PR by 31 seconds. it was a good test for me with quality runs with my Daniels plan. Very pleased with result and encouraged by my progress and make me think what I will do for my goal HM in May. Got in a tough 12.5m LR yesterday and wind was brutal last 6m miles running into headwind. Easy recovery 5m today as I needed a break after this weekend.

Good running all!

Congrats on your race and the new PR!  We need that little "applause" emoticon here.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hello everyone!

Slept in, finishing up my coffee and then it's out for a nice easy recovery run, at the lake again. Smile

I'm making my own dream come true, by getting healthy.  Just completed my Personal Health Assessment for my healthcare company, and it said that I am a model of health and fitness and that I'm setting the example for my coworkers/family. Big grin

Yeah, cuz unlike me, you don't fall into any bodies of water you run near. Joking  Congrats, Dave, way to go!

Chairman

easy 10 for me

Woke up with a sore back, which I am so far blaming on the flu shot I got Saturday. My grandmother called me last week and wouldn't leave me alone until I promised I would get one.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

From what I understand, the meniscus tear and bone bruising is what's keeping me from running right now.  I've decided not to try it again until I'm no longer limping, and I've still got a pretty good limp going.

Yeah, a pretty good limp is not something any guy ever wants to have.  Heal well, heal fast, Baboon!

@runjerseygirl

easy 10 for me

Woke up with a sore back, which I am so far blaming on the flu shot I got Saturday. My grandmother called me last week and wouldn't leave me alone until I promised I would get one.

That's the cutest thing I've read all day!  LOL!

Do you even run?

Zelanie

flarunner- Congrats!

I had a great run today!  First run in my new Saucony Triumph 10s, and everything went well!  I ended up on the TM because of slippery frozen fog outside.  Got 8 miles at a 9:44 pace.  My plan is to go back to "normal" miles this week, then next week if all goes well add back some faster miles.

runmomto3boys

Scrape: Nice job on the 10.

SIAR: I run 8 mile recovery runs 3 days a week (or I try - if I short one, I mess w/the rest of the week's mileage some like I did last week).  As long as I run them slow (discipline can be an issue for me w/those runs), they serve their purpose.  I do the 8 milers v. Pfitz's 6/4 double recovery days that he suggests b/c I can't handle doubles with the kiddos right now.  Anyway, if you ran 10 super duper slow?  I guess it could be a recovery run.  With hills?  Eh, now you are futzing with the difficulty on top of the distance and probably moving out of recovery run territory, but what do I know anyway?  Just my gut. By the way, nice freaking mileage last week, you beast.  You are bringing it!

Chairman

Good afternoon all!  I did 10.25 recovery miles today, at one point in a white out, at other points in bright sunshine.  Go figure.   Question:  Do you all think that the point of a recovery run is negated once it gets to a certain length?  Also, does a hilly route defeat the purpose of a recovery run?

I guess that depends on the meaning of "recovery run." For me the purpose of a recovery run is to get in some extra work while doing no more muscle trauma after one or more hard runs. With that goal in mind, I would put the pace of a recovery run at probably around 2 min/mile slower than marathon pace for me. I doubt that 10+ miles over a hilly route would accomplish the no more damage part unless the pace is really, really slow. As in maybe even slower than MP+2:00. Personally, I don't usually do recovery runs. I do easy runs, but when I need true recovery, I don't run at all.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Scrape: Nice job on the 10.

SIAR: I run 8 mile recovery runs 3 days a week (or I try - if I short one, I mess w/the rest of the week's mileage some like I did last week).  As long as I run them slow (discipline can be an issue for me w/those runs), they serve their purpose.  I do the 8 milers v. Pfitz's 6/4 double recovery days that he suggests b/c I can't handle doubles with the kiddos right now.  Anyway, if you ran 10 super duper slow?  I guess it could be a recovery run.  With hills?  Eh, now you are futzing with the difficulty on top of the distance and probably moving out of recovery run territory, but what do I know anyway?  Just my gut. By the way, nice freaking mileage last week, you beast.  You are bringing it!

Agreed, I'm kinda on the edge with that run. I guess if you have to ask, you pretty much know the answer Smile. Usually only one run for me is recovery, but at least 2 others are easy. Your 3 8s are a good way to go too. I'd have a harder time making that work for me to get into the 80s though because I don't do quite as many long runs as you(for a few more weeks anyway). Doubling a second time a week probably is the solution for me. Still, even without your family responsibilities, that sounds like a hassle. Thanks for the mileage compliment...just barely keeping up with you!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Chairman

That's the cutest thing I've read all day!  LOL!

I wasn't nearly as amused.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Sounds like a lot of confusion and ambiguity on what a recovery run is versus an easy run. Considering that McMillan's fastest recovery run pace is slower than the slowest easy run pace, and that's without taking into account hilly courses, I think scape. (with a period) makes a good point.

Meanwhile I'm just back from a 7 mile GA run, not really easy but nowhere near tempo pace, that felt great, much better than Saturday's 10 mile slog, and still 37 seconds per mile faster.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

@runjerseygirl

I wasn't nearly as amused.

But I'm still laughing. Big grin

Do you even run?

StepbyStep-SH

easy 10 for me

And not only did you promise to get one, you actually did. Grandma should be proud.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I guess that depends on the meaning of "recovery run." For me the purpose of a recovery run is to get in some extra work while doing no more muscle trauma after one or more hard runs. With that goal in mind, I would put the pace of a recovery run at probably around 2 min/mile slower than marathon pace for me. I doubt that 10+ miles over a hilly route would accomplish the no more damage part unless the pace is really, really slow. As in maybe even slower than MP+2:00. Personally, I don't usually do recovery runs. I do easy runs, but when I need true recovery, I don't run at all.

Thanks for the feedback. The purpose of the runs is definitely what you described - trying to get more mileage while going easy on the legs. I've been doing the recovery runs closer to 1:30-1:45 off MP, so a little faster than what you were saying. This is the first cycle where I've tried recovery runs, so I'm a little unfamiliar with them. I guess I'm still learning the line between just needing a day off and when it's okay to squeeze in a little more. At least for the time being, the legs have actually felt better after the recovery runs than they did before.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

easy 10 for me

I'm glad she doesn't have my number.

In transit, arriving on time.