Beginners and Beyond

April Fool's Day 5K Race Report with Photos (Read 50 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

Report link:  http://community.runnersworld.com/displayForumTopic/content/8471874988016556 

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

Race #21 for me for 2013.  April Fool's Day 5K was held on - what else? - April Fool's Day, Monday, April 1, 2013,  at 6:30 PM in McAllister Park, a local San Antonio park with paved and off-road running trails.  Temp was a 'cool' 85 degrees with about 93% humidity.  Nice turn out for a weeknight evening event, with about 180 participants.  Was it really a 5K?  I will tell you in the On The Course part of the report below.

Long Version Report With Photos

I live only about a mile from this park, which is convenient, so I train here quite a bit and am familiar with the trails.  About an hour before start time I downed a Powerbar, and then headed over to the park with 30 minutes to spare to start time, so I could get some pre-start photos of some of the participants and supporters.  It was a sea of orange, as many of the folks were wearing the very nice - and BRIGHT - April Fool's Day 5K tech tee that was in our goodie bags.

Before The Start

Scott and Sherry, our Race Directors, from AthleteGuild.  I tried to worm out of them what the actual course mileage would be, but they weren't telling.

race 001

These two participants were by one of the several park maps that shows all the trail routes in the park.

race 004

race 006

race 005

Me and my bud, Jim, and me and one of the lovely lady participants

race 003

race 010

Others waiting for the start

race 011

race 012

race 013

race 014

race 015

race 016

race 002

race 007

race 008

race 009

ON THE COURSE

We lined up at the start area - and I noticed the race clock was already at 2 hours.  Funny.  April Fool's!   The course was on the paved trails and paved park roads, as you'll see from the photos.  McAllister Park is a nice running, large shade trees, nice trails, deer in the park, as well as armadillos and other critters you see at times.  So off we went!  As we passed our MC he shouted to us "Water at every mile for the next 6 miles!"  Funny guy. 

race 017

race 018

race 019

race 020

race 021

race 022

race 023

race 024

race 025

race 026

I saw this at about Mile 1.7 on the course per my watch timer.  Uh oh..maybe the guy was not kidding about 6 miles!  So I thought maybe we'd do a couple more loops around the park trails.

race 027

But nope, the RDs had us go right back to the start/finish area.  So we ended up with 2.5 miles for the route, instead of a 5K.  April Fool's!   I ended up with a slow 26:26 time for the 2.5 miles.  I had slowed down a bit because I was suspecting they might take us PAST the finish line and have us do another loop.  But nope, we actually did finish and I saw the clock had on it 16 minutes as I crossed the line. Yeah, right.  April Fool's!    Last year, the course was long - 3.8 miles instead of a 5K, so I guess this year they decided to shorten it.  Which was nice, considering the 85 degrees and 93% humidity, gaack!  Cloudy, overcast day with rain threatening, which is why it was so humid.

Some other things that happened on the course: Came to a water jug with cups..and no water!  April Fool's!  Right around the corner from there, there were folks handing out water for those who wanted it.  Saw a Mile 8 marker on the course and really started to worry, lol.    At one point, a kid, about 8 or so, had one of those big water guns.  He came out and stopped me and couple of other folks near me and said "This is a stick-up!"  lol.  We had to do a couple of tongue-twisters correctly to get released and then he shot us with some water - which was quite refreshing, actually - and we were on our way again.  All in all, a pretty fun little course.

AFTER THE RACE

Yeah, post-race beer!  They also had some sausage wraps, nice.

race 032

My "Happy Finisher" friend and Great Legs lady, Sally, getting a post-race kiss

race 028

My running friends, Bob and Great Legs Ronnie, and Bob's great dog "Shiner" named for Shiner Beer, lol.  And be careful:  you accidentally drop your beer, he will lap it up!

race 052

I also got to meet this friendly little fellow.

race 050

More "Happy "Finishers" and supporters.  Sorry about the 'dream sequence' look for some, forgot to wipe my sweaty lens once in a while.

race 033

race 034

race 035

race 036

race 037

race 038

race 039

race 040

race 041

race 042

race 043

race 044

race 045

race 046

race 047

race 049

race 051

race 029

race 030

race 031

EPILOG

A very entertaining event for a Monday evening!  There were also door prizes - none of which I won - and trophies for the "bottom 3' of each age group, so I got a nice little trophy as I was 2nd from the bottom in my age group, lol.  Scott and Sherry do it up right for this one!  Definitely do this one if you're ever in San Antonio for April Fool's.  Of course, be prepared, cuz you just never know what the course will turn out to be.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jess runs for bacon

That sounds like a blast! I love the tricks Smile

robinde

Sounds like fun!  Can't wait to be in Texas.  Just a couple more weeks.  I hope to see you there at the Wildflower Race in Fredericksburg.  I hope I can make the transition from Vermont 40deg to Texas 80deg without wilting.

Don't call me Buttercup!

Thanks for the report, Scotty!  That race sounds like so much fun! I wish I could find something like that around here. =)   Congrats on being in the bottom of your age group! LOL

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Luke79

Cool race concept.  I probably would have liked to run something like that for April Fools.

YAYpril - B-Plus

Great RR and pictures! I love the whole idea behind an April Fool's race. I wish they had something like that here.

MTA: Well, my name is April... maybe I should become an RD. Big grin

GinnyinPA

Nice RR Scotty.  It sounds like a lot of fun, especially since every year is a bit different.  Hot though.  I bet that squirt gun felt wonderful.

SheCan

Great report, Scotty!  Such a sneaky April fools day race....love how they won't even reveal the exact length of the race!   Glad you won a trophy in this fun race.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Runny_babbit

hop, hop, hop...

Nice report! That sounds like so much fun! I wish they'd do something like that around here.

MM #8764 / HF #6535 / Double Agent #668

PRs: 5K - 27:43, 10K - 57:14, HM - 2:06:18, FM - 5:22:42

~How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were supposed to be?~

Zelanie

Sounds like fun!  The tricks seem just about perfect to keep things entertaining without being too "mean".   Definitely a fun event, thanks for sharing!

Coastal

Great report. Sounds like it was a blast.

How fun! I always enjoy your RRs, scottydawg.

LRB

I'm hot from just looking at the pics!  They must pass more beer than Gatorade in Texas lol!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I'm hot from just looking at the pics!  They must pass more beer than Gatorade in Texas lol!

Yes.  Beer from one end...farts from the other... Wink

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt