Beginners and Beyond

New World MonDAILIES (Read 49 times)

LRB

i think I may buy the Runner's world get faster plan. Anyone try it, or something like it? Other options, advice? My plan is kind of similar to what I am running now: intervals on Monday (8x400, was doing 10k pace but will try to increase to 5k or close), hilly route on Wednesday at MP, easy on Saturday on long on Sunday (9-15)

I trained using the Daniels 5k plan this year and have nothing but rave reviews for it.  Once mastered, his principles, concepts and ideals allow you to tailor a workout or run to fit you.

It is one thing to run 5 X 1000's at your "I" pace, or 6 X 1200's at your tempo pace, it is quite another to know why you are doing them.  This is what is lacking most often; the why.  It is understanding the why that allows you to make the most of your training, and get the most out of yourself on race day....in my opinion anyway.

Now, Daniels is not the end all, be all.  There are other plans and philosophies out there such as run faster by Brad Hudson and many others.  What I did was googled best 5k training plans (or something along those lines), then settled on Daniels because I thought it worked best for me.

You are hungry so that is good.  Now feed that hunger over the off-season with a good book on running/racing/training principles, then come out next spring with a clue, and take your running to the next level.  That is exactly what I did, and I put up race times that I once only dreamed of.

Jess runs for bacon

I trained using the Daniels 5k plan this year and have nothing but rave reviews for it.  Once mastered, his principles, concepts and ideals allow you to tailor a workout or run to fit you.

It is one thing to run 5 X 1000's at your "I" pace, or 6 X 1200's at your tempo pace, it is quite another to know why you are doing them.  This is what is lacking most often; the why.  It is understanding the why that allows you to make the most of your training, and get the most out of yourself on race day....in my opinion anyway.

Now, Daniels is not the end all, be all.  There are other plans and philosophies out there such as run faster by Brad Hudson and many others.  What I did was googled best 5k training plans (or something along those lines), then settled on Daniels because I thought it worked best for me.

You are hungry so that is good.  Now feed that hunger over the off-season with a good book on running/racing/training principles, then come out next spring with a clue, and take your running to the next level.  That is exactly what I did, and I put up race times that I once only dreamed of.

Thanks SmileI picked up McMillan's You: Only Faster today. I had tried Hudson but he was waaay too technical for me.if I can just get a fraction of your speed I will be happy!

Hi peeps:

Happy thanksgiving.ca!  I wished a family clearly from the Great White North such today, and they replied "oh, you too" on their way out.  About 15 seconds later, the wife popped back in to add  "... in about a month."  Haha.

I found that Si had not quite hit his target on a bombing mission earlier, and when I scolded him, he ran over and apologetically pawed imaginary litter on the spot I had just cleaned up.  Shocked at how appropriate his response was.

LRB

Wish me luck.

As you wish!

Granite, I would shoot to do my best at the Saturday race.

Welp, I had a one hour and ten minute evaluation with my PT.  It turns out that I indeed have an issue with my left SI joint (sacroiliac).  It is the joint that joins the hip bones to the sacrum, and it only moves 2 to 3%.

Apparently, it is quite common for the joint to become misaligned, or stuck in place.  At this time, she is unsure which of those is affecting me.  Because its symptoms mimic other issues with the back, spine, glute and leg, the condition is most often misdiagnosed as some other ailment.

I did some research on it Friday and found some self-adjustment techniques that I tried Saturday that actually worked.  Therefore, I was able to perform most of the drills today without the discomfort I had experienced the past six weeks.

It was fellow group member Gustav1, who after reading my description of what I was dealing with pointed me in the right direction.  I am forever grateful to him because up until then, neither myself or any of the professionals I saw had a clue as to what my problem was. The one who should have caught it, my chiro, completely fuckin' missed it.

So what is the lesson in all of this?  Continue to post your issues when they arise, because you just never know who will see it, and save you a world of grief!

LRB

I picked up McMillan's You: Only Faster today.

There you go!

Jay, cats are super intelligent...and cool!

I did some research on it Friday and found some self-adjustment techniques that I tried Saturday that actually worked.  Therefore, I was able to perform most of the drills today without the discomfort I had experienced the past six weeks.

It was fellow group member Gustav1, who after reading my description of what I was dealing with pointed me in the right direction.  I am forever grateful to him because up until then, neither myself or any of the professionals I saw had a clue as to what my problem was. The one who should have caught it, my chiro, completely fuckin' missed it.

So what is the lesson in all of this?  Continue to post your issues when they arise, because you just never know who will see it, and save you a world of grief!

Excellent!  Glad you were able to get to the bottom of it.

;p

Jess runs for bacon

LRB I hope it continues to unstick, glad you got it figured Smile

Jay, I find my cat has zero reaction to scolding.

Damaris, how did your run go?

Docket_Rocket

I ran with hubby.  At his pace, I had no pain but I could feel it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

B-Plus

LRB, thanks for the reminder to get at my supplemental work in the offseason. That went completely by the wayside late in my training cycle. Heal up!