Beginners and Beyond

Need Advice for Vacation Stay on Prince Edward Island ... (Read 31 times)

adkkev

My wife & I are planning on visiting PEI in early September, staying for a week.  We'll be driving from upstate NY so we'll have our SUV.  The PEI Tourism brochure (more like a catalog!!) lists a ton of places to stay ... and since we haven't ever visited PEI, we are a bit confused about what part of province we should stay in.  We don't want to stay in Charlettetown ... and we're interested in a cabin/cottage/condo where we can prepare meals (we'll definitely eat out some of the time but would prefer not to for every meal).

We're kinda outdoorsy people ... hiking, canoeing, kayaking, biking ... so considering that, where might be the best area to stay in??

Thanks in advance for your help!!

happylily

LOL... I feel like a travel agent, now. 

You can look at my site to get an idea of the North shore. I'm not trying to push anything on you, I just want to give you some ideas and show you some pictures of the beaches (we have one place near Blooming Point beach and two places on St. Peters Harbour beach). The North shore has the long, white sand beaches, bordered by tall dunes. The South shore has the calmer, red sand beaches. I prefer the North shore beaches myself (they are more traditional beaches in my mind), but the red soil, combined with yellow and green fields and the bluest skies ever, are marvellous to the eye. The island is very small, you can drive from one point to the other in three hours. I would try to stay somewhere central, so you can go either East or West very quickly. And if it were me, I would avoid staying on the Western tip. It's too desolate there for my taste and far from everything you might want to do. If you select the Cavendish area, which is North central, you will be near all the more commercial attractions (amusement parks, etc..). Fun for families, but maybe not what you're looking for. Biking, cycling, hiking, kayaking and canoeing are done everywhere on the island. PM me any questions you might have, I will do my best to help you. Warning: I am not from the island, I just own properties there and have been spending my summers on the island for the last 20 years. Still, I wouldn't call myself an expert on PEI.

Don't know if all this makes sense (I'm at work right now and am having a hard time focusing on this). But don't hesitate to PM me!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010