Beginners and Beyond

Compliments you receive as a runner (Read 123 times)

bluerun

Super B****

I've had several friends and family say that I've inspired them to start running, run more, or get fit. That's pretty awesome.

Lately it has been negative stuff though. Wish I had a better story for how I hurt my foot than "I run a lot." Kind of lets people who think running is bad for you have a field day.

"I don't understand why you would do something that keeps injuring you."  This usually comes from someone who has all sorts of health problems stemming from a sedentary lifestyle, but yeah, sure, you're a lot better off than I am, right?!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

onemile

I'm not built like a runner and rather than being impressed with my dedication, people are more like 'why would you torture yourself like that?'.  I can't really recall any compliments.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I'm not built like a runner

Oh, please.  You totally look like a runner, Ms. BQ. 

Running is dumb.

Gator eye

Random person outside her house smoking a cigarette at 6am as I run by.

Her: " I see you running all the time all over the county. I wish I could do that, your awesome."

me: "Step on that smoke and lets go"

Her: waves and smiles pretty.

Me: Pace increases, mood sky rockets.

Thanks random stranger.

onemile

Oh, please.  You totally look like a runner, Ms. BQ. 

Is this a compliment?   

Mmmmm...beer

I've had some friends tell me that I inspire/motivate them, which is the best compliment, because I never would have pictured myself as someone to look up to fitness wise.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Is this a compliment?   

Yes. 

Running is dumb.

I get called fast by a couple local runner friends of mine, which even it's a lie, it does make me feel good. I'm no where near fast. I try to correct them but they aren't having it. Okaaayyy......

Just B.S.

It is pretty costly if you you are coming from out of town. My entry fee despite being given an "invite" put me back some. Not cheap with the cost of my last semester and cost of my NP review course. Some people spend big bucks to come and run Boston. My friend who has run over ten times keeps saying this will be her last year. I figure the price of my entry was about the price of 2 years worth of shorter races. Eeek.  Back on topic.

Hubby ran in 2010. He qualified in 2011 and 2012 but didn't BQ this year because we were focusing on

triathlon and a international "for fun" marathon.  I think he will likely BQ again in 2014 so we plan on going back

for 2015.

In 2010 we stayed for 4 nights. We drove down from Canada on a bus trip with other local runners. With Boston

marathon souvenirs (jacket, hat), hotel, registration, food etc we spent over $2,000 for those 4 days but it was

worth every penny.

We chose not to go back since because we had  international trips planned but hubby would

like to go back and run one more time.  Anyone who has run or been a spectator knows that

it is a very inspirational life experience.

Yugo8

Wrong post!  This is not the dailies!

Oh, on the topic at hand, I don't really receive many compliments as a runner.  It's mostly feedback of the "you're crazy" kind.  Eh.