Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES: Running cures all (Read 44 times)

Hip Redux

Can you set up a streak for that in your log?

I was thinking more like one of those signs for workplace safety.

It's been

137 138

Days

since I last ran.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Sly, no, I do not gain weight, I lose a few pounds, usually. LRs make me lose my appetite in general. Are you saying that you are losing weight or gaining it?

Gaining it appears.

+2.5 lbs from my VDot test till this morning (incrementally - but a gradual rise)

(yes, relatively negligible, I'm not worried about getting 'heavy'.)

Mmmmm...beer

5 more done.  I was hoping it would rain, but it didn't, so I made my own rain, 75* dewpoint will do that. lol

Sly, I stayed steady at 195lbs while marathon training (altho my training was pretty crappy, so it might not be a good representation lol).  That's why I decided to try to cut as much as I can before I start this next cycle.  I should hit a new low in the next couple of days now that the water I retained from last weekend's 20 miler is gone (jumped up to 191lbs, then back down to 185lbs in four days lol).

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

happylily

Gaining it appears.

+2.5 lbs from my VDot test till this morning (incrementally - but a gradual rise)

(yes, relatively negligible, I'm not worried about getting 'heavy'.)

Well, you better not start wearing a sauna suit to lose the lbs or else I'll have to kick you in the ass.  Actually, my weight will go up and down by a couple pounds during training. But usually, at the end of the cycle, I'm about 2 or 3 lbs lighter. Which would make sense, right?

10 miles done, 7:49 average. Too hot for intervals (71% humidity, 78F, no fan). I ran a few miles at HM pace, a few more at MP and some easy miles. Actually, none of my paces were good, all were much slower than they should be. But it's starting to sink in my brain that it's normal this time of the year and I do not have to hit myself with the frying pan, like I usually do to punish myself for being off pace.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Well, you better not start wearing a sauna suit to lose the lbs or else I'll have to kick you in the ass.  Actually, my weight will go up and down by a couple pounds during training. But usually, at the end of the cycle, I'm about 2 or 3 lbs lighter. Which would make sense, right?

10 miles done, 7:49 average. Too hot for intervals (71% humidity, 78F, no fan). I ran a few miles at HM pace, a few more at MP and some easy miles. Actually, none of my paces were good, all were much slower than they should be. But it's starting to sink in my brain that it's normal this time of the year and I do not have to hit myself with the frying pan, like I usually do to punish myself for being off pace.

Haha, sauna suit!

I try to run in as little as I can get away with - though I have been wearing shirts more than normal (this damned HR band makes me feel like a dork otherwise...)

Re: your workout and pace

What was the intention of that 10 miler?

In cooler (than now) temps that is about my easy pace (140 HR approx).   I am currently anywhere from 5-10 slower at these dewpoints/ temps.

Zelanie

Hey guys.  SRD for me.  I did go and visit a couple of gyms that I am thinking of joining.  There's a bigger, more intimidating one that's open for longer hours, and a smaller, friendlier one that isn't open as much.  I might have to break down and go for the bigger one.  It's only about $2 more/month.  There's a third gym in the other direction that's actually close, but I think that's the smallest of the 3.  Also, it's nowhere near the track, so I couldn't do something silly like do a track workout outside and them head to the gym to cool down and shower.

happylily

Haha, sauna suit!

I try to run in as little as I can get away with - though I have been wearing shirts more than normal (this damned HR band makes me feel like a dork otherwise...)

Re: your workout and pace

What was the intention of that 10 miler?

In cooler (than now) temps that is about my easy pace (140 HR approx).   I am currently anywhere from 5-10 slower at these dewpoints/ temps.

I wish they would invent something to replace that HR band. It does look dorky with a running bra, or worse, for men who wear no shirt in the summer. I think that was the reason I stopped wearing mine 6 years ago. Plus, the damn thing would never stay on me anyway.

My workout tonight? There was no purpose to it. I'm running free of a plan for the next two weeks. I lose interest quickly when I run many easy miles in a row (remember, TM runner...)  And I have it in my mind that if I run my MP as often as possible, one day, I'll be able to run 26.2 miles at that pace. I know it doesn't necessarily work like that. I'm just stubborn and like to stay blind, I guess.

happylily

Hey guys.  SRD for me.  I did go and visit a couple of gyms that I am thinking of joining.  There's a bigger, more intimidating one that's open for longer hours, and a smaller, friendlier one that isn't open as much.  I might have to break down and go for the bigger one.  It's only about $2 more/month.  There's a third gym in the other direction that's actually close, but I think that's the smallest of the 3.  Also, it's nowhere near the track, so I couldn't do something silly like do a track workout outside and them head to the gym to cool down and shower.

What is the cost of living like, as far as you can tell? For example, how much are the gyms per month?

Zelanie

The cost of living is very similar to home, as far as I can tell.  Gyms are in the mid-$40s a month, and more if you want to use the pool.  But at least they are all running a no joining fee special.

Cab fare yesterday for a 15 minute cab ride (from the guy who used the meter) was about $5.  Bus fare into downtown (15 minutes?) was 50 cents each way.  Other than that, I've hardly bought anything other than a soda (same as home).

I don't know how much housing or taxes are, but in general the standard of living seems pretty good, plus, like you guys, they have universal health care and education.  But it's not cheap to live here.

happylily

The cost of living is very similar to home, as far as I can tell.  Gyms are in the mid-$40s a month, and more if you want to use the pool.  But at least they are all running a no joining fee special.

Cab fare yesterday for a 15 minute cab ride (from the guy who used the meter) was about $5.  Bus fare into downtown (15 minutes?) was 50 cents each way.  Other than that, I've hardly bought anything other than a soda (same as home).

I don't know how much housing or taxes are, but in general the standard of living seems pretty good, plus, like you guys, they have universal health care and education.  But it's not cheap to live here.

Interesting. I guess there is a price to stability and good economy. We (I should say "I") think that just because it's Central America, everything will be cheap, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

Docket_Rocket

Hi.  5 miles to and from my Pilates class.  Overall, not bad.  The lightning strike near me as I was leaving the studio freaked me the fuck out for a bit.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

It does not surprise me.  Costa Rica is one of the most stable Latin American countries.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

So the question is: Do you typically gain weight during marathon training?

If you do, do you know why.  Is it the low intensity work?

Since taking ownership of my weight and fitness 15 years ago, I have found that I operate within a + or - 4 LB window regardless of the day, time of day, week or month.

Simply put my normal weight is 175, but on any given day I can weigh anywhere between 171 and 179.  The same was true when I was196 LB's.

I am not really sure why that is, it could be the season, consuming more fluids or what have you.  One thing is for certain though and that is if I go past 179 LB's, I have been eating more calories than I have have been expending, which for runners is not hard to do....it's not hard for anyone actually.

Some people like to think they are gaining muscle which in some cases may be true, but even then there is no muscle gain (that I know of) without an associated fat gain that goes along with it.

So to answer your question I do not really go outside of that 4 LB window even during marathon training, but if I did I would say that it would be a calories in versus calories expended issue, not the type of running I was doing.