Beginners and Beyond

SuNdAiLy Penguins are Hot (or Cold) (Read 22 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!

7 and weights tonight.

Jerry, morning!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Monday Eve.  61F. brrrrr.  Going to try my 1 mile return to running when it warms up. Hip feels fine as it has all week.

Hi D !!  Smile

tracilynn

Morning

Jerry, hope your run goes well and enjoy the cool breeze

Damaris, good morning and enjoy your 7 & weights later.  What is your lifting routine?  Machines or free weights?

I did 3 miles this morning in my new shoes and last 1/2 mile was barefoot.  We are getting a break in humid weather right now and the dewpoint was only 67!! It felt awesome out.  Stretched and rolled and about to ice ITB.

Zelanie, I really liked the kinvaras too.  I think the drop is a tad lower than what I got and I was afraid to push it.  i am a fan of Sauconys in general.  Your daughter is a brain :-)

Bacon, from last nights beer talk... You should try a bud light strawberita because they are really fruity and yummy. I like fruity too and apparently I like "hood beer" as well (malt liquor) ha,  good job on your run yesterdayCool

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

Jerry- Hoping you're having a great mile!

D- Enjoy the 7 and weights!

I am up early to get breakfast and then a run before the heat kicks in.  Scotty, we are supposed to get into the upper 90's or 100's by early next week, with dewpoints in the 60's.  Our normal summer temps are 70's and 80's with almost no humidity.  Last night I went out at 7, and Garmin connect still said 91.  Or does it just show the high for the day?  The rest of the web was showing mid-80's at that time, with mid-60's DP.  In any case, I still had a really nice run.  I just kept my pace easy (and slow, yikes), and just focused on having a good time and staying relaxed.

I am tempted to run 5.3 because that would give me 25 miles for the week.  But I'll see how it goes.

Docket_Rocket

I do Chalean Extreme and use the free weights (I have a convertible set that goes from 5lbs to 50).

Morning

Jerry, hope your run goes well and enjoy the cool breeze

Damaris, good morning and enjoy your 7 & weights later.  What is your lifting routine?  Machines or free weights?

I did 3 miles this morning in my new shoes and last 1/2 mile was barefoot.  We are getting a break in humid weather right now and the dewpoint was only 67!! It felt awesome out.  Stretched and rolled and about to ice ITB.

Zelanie, I really liked the kinvaras too.  I think the drop is a tad lower than what I got and I was afraid to push it.  i am a fan of Sauconys in general.  Your daughter is a brain :-)

Bacon, from last nights beer talk... You should try a bud light strawberita because they are really fruity and yummy. I like fruity too and apparently I like "hood beer" as well (malt liquor) ha,  good job on your run yesterdayCool

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

What a sloppy, fun run/walk I had this morning!  Went over to my favorite park and decided to do 4 miles of trails.  Very humid - nearly 100 percent this morning - but at least not sunny as dark clouds were moving in and rain was threatening.  Along one trail, this couple was walking, with their beagle romping ahead.  Beagle came right up to me and when I bent down to give her a treat, I got a sloppy kiss, lol.  As the couple approached, I noticed they were both drinking coffee as they walked, and the guy, lol, was munching on a McDonald's breakfast biscuit!   On another trail I stumbled over a root and did a face-plant.  Thank goodness this was a soft part of the trail, lol.   The humiliating part of this was that I wasn't even running, I did the face plant during one of my walk-breaks.  How embarrassing! Blush   The rain started when I was about halfway done and came down pretty good.  Quite refreshing, actually, with the humidity out there. The trails got quite muddy and I felt like a character in a Paul Simon song, 'slip-sliding away.'   I was watching some deer to my right at one point and didn't notice the downhill I was coming upon.  Next thing I know - "WHEEEEE!"  I'm sliding on my butt down the trail, doing an imitation of Michael Douglas  in "Romancing The Stone."   It was quite fun, actually, and luckily I did not whomp into any trees, stumps, deer, logs, roots, etc at the end. By the time I finished my run/walk, I was quite muddy, wet...and laughing.   What a fun outing!

Oh, by the way, we set a local temp record for San Antonio yesterday.  Actual temp got up to 108 degrees!  Today, after this rain clears out, we are supposed to get up to 101.  By tomorrow, it is supposed to start cooling down again, with a high of 'only' 94.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Damaris, how did Hubby Mission go yesterday?

61...what the heck is up with Chicago weather, Jerry?  Doesn't your local Mother Nature know it's summer now?

Hope your ITB did well on your run, Traci!  How did it feel to run barefoot?   I've never run barefoot.  Bare-bunned, but never barefoot. Big grin

Dewpoint in the 60s actually sounds really nice, Zelanie.  Altho 90s is pretty high for y'all out there!  Stay safe, be heat-safety aware!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

I posted about it last night.  3.50.  Longest he's done on this running life. Big grin

Damaris, how did Hubby Mission go yesterday?

61...what the heck is up with Chicago weather, Jerry?  Doesn't your local Mother Nature know it's summer now?

Hope your ITB did well on your run, Traci!  How did it feel to run barefoot?   I've never run barefoot.  Bare-bunned, but never barefoot. Big grin

Dewpoint in the 60s actually sounds really nice, Zelanie.  Altho 90s is pretty high for y'all out there!  Stay safe, be heat-safety aware!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

tracilynn

Damaris, do you go to a class at a gym that does the chalean ext or do you watch a dvd and do it on your own?  Its looks like a good workout.

Scotty, Running barefoot actually feels really good.  I admit the whole barefoot thing didnt appeal to me at all.   Thought it was just weird and was 157% sure I would never do it.  Ha!   The first time (last Friday) I ran barefoot I was really dreading it but it was nice and it was EASY, much easier than with shoes.  After I ran a mile barefoot I put my normal bulky support shoes back on and I literally felt like I was wearing combat boots.   The guy at the LRS told me I did it backwards and that I need to run in shoes first and then finish barefoot so Thats what I did today.  He also told me starting out a full mile barefoot was WAY TOO MUCH  and to drop it way back.

So how does running butt nekkid feel?  Breezy?   I am 157% sure I will never run nakedCool

~~~~~~~

Traci

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Traci: I'm glad the barefoot running is good for you. I will do it sometimes, but only on the grass, doing strides. It does feel good, but I can't imagine running on asphalt.

Jerry: 61 must be heaven.

Docket: Enjoy the miles.

Zel: We are getting blasted with heat here as well. I just did a little run and it's already too hot at 8:00.

Scotty: Be careful out there in the heat.

I did four easy miles and now it's day two of DD's swim meet.

Sloooow.

Traci, have you read Born to Run? It talks a lot about barefoot running. I loved that book.

Rest day for me, might go to the movies later to see the new Monsters Inc movie. Have a great Sunday everyone!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Dead     Ran the mile, but right from the start, the hip ache/tightness is still there.  Never got severe pain since I only ran one slow mile and walked 3. Thankfully, no walking pain,     Guess I'll call the doctor for a referral.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

4 miles with the doggie....very muggy and made it back just in time for thr rain!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

I do them at home.

Damaris, do you go to a class at a gym that does the chalean ext or do you watch a dvd and do it on your own?  Its looks like a good workout.

Scotty, Running barefoot actually feels really good.  I admit the whole barefoot thing didnt appeal to me at all.   Thought it was just weird and was 157% sure I would never do it.  Ha!   The first time (last Friday) I ran barefoot I was really dreading it but it was nice and it was EASY, much easier than with shoes.  After I ran a mile barefoot I put my normal bulky support shoes back on and I literally felt like I was wearing combat boots.   The guy at the LRS told me I did it backwards and that I need to run in shoes first and then finish barefoot so Thats what I did today.  He also told me starting out a full mile barefoot was WAY TOO MUCH  and to drop it way back.

So how does running butt nekkid feel?  Breezy?   I am 157% sure I will never run nakedCool

Damaris

Fundraising Page