Beginners and Beyond

CIM: has anyone here run it? (Read 222 times)

runmomto3boys

Has anyone run CIM?  I would appreciate your thoughts on the course or the race if you have!

Resident Historian

Well-organized race, good crowd support, very competitive race.  Can be a little crowded early.  They've had some bad weather days a couple of years (headwinds. & in 2012 - torrential rain), but normal expectations would be pretty good running conditions 
      A point-to point course; they bus you out to the start.  

Sacramento hotels should be booked in advance, but they are not expensive compared to a big city marathon.

The course is net downhill (about 330' I think), but there are some substantial uphills, mostly in the first half.  From about 15 to the finish is predominantly a gradual downhill.  A fast course, but not necessarily easy, and nowhere close to as much downhill, say, St George. 

They have a great entry system for people within 10 minutes of their BQ time.  A set # of spots are set out for general registration; these will sell out before September.  Then if you're within 10 min of your BQ time, you can register from October 1st to 15th (~2 months before the race) for a guaranteed spot.  

Overall, highly recommended as an established, no nonsense race on a fast course. 

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

runmomto3boys

Thanks for the FANTASTIC review, Longboat.  That was so incredibly helpful.  I do love that guaranteed entry thing.  That means I can register pretty late if I decide to run it.  I really appreciate all the information: thank you!!!! 

runTDC

I ran this in 2011, so it wasn't the stormy slogfest that it was this year.   Everything that Longboat says is pretty much the way I feel.  I really liked the size of the race and the organization.  I'd run it again.  It's a good race.  For me it's a toss up between this and Napa Valley in March.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Teresa

Aug—Double Dipsea

Oct 9–R2R Grand Canyon, baby!

2024 goals- Run trails, race a few, get a little faster, gain some endurance, enjoy life…😊

runmomto3boys

I ran this in 2011, so it wasn't the stormy slogfest that it was this year.   Everything that Longboat says is pretty much the way I feel.  I really liked the size of the race and the organization.  I'd run it again.  It's a good race.  For me it's a toss up between this and Napa Valley in March.

Thank you for the review!  You guys rock!

Docket_Rocket

I'm doing Napa, if that fact makes you decide.

Or maybe it will make you decide not to do Napa Joking

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Heidi, I've never done CIM but everything I have heard is good.  It's considered one of the fastest marathons because of it's downhill course.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

runmomto3boys

I'm doing Napa, if that fact makes you decide.

Or maybe it will make you decide not to do Napa Joking

I would LOVE to do the Napa race some day too - ever since you mentioned it and I looked up the race info.  I was thinking about late 2013, though, and a March 2014 race will be too close to Boston.  It's definitely on my "must do someday" list.

runTDC

Oh, we're talking  2013/2014 for my CIM/Napa decision.  I'm nowhere near in good enough shape for either right now.  Napa is my current PR, and living in CA makes both of these races doable for me.  They are both great races!

D-You'll love Napa.  Are you doing it in 2013?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Teresa

Aug—Double Dipsea

Oct 9–R2R Grand Canyon, baby!

2024 goals- Run trails, race a few, get a little faster, gain some endurance, enjoy life…😊