Beginners and Beyond

Saturday penguins sleep in! (Read 21 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!

What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

But not me!  We are about to hit the road to watch DD's robotics tournament.  Then I have 4 to run when we get back, probably late.

You can watch the live stream here if you're interested.  She is team #997.  The best rounds will be after 1:15 Pacific today.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  2-4 miles tonight.  First day is here (Ahead of time, but I am sure my body can take it).

Mel, enjoy the tournament.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Very cool,  good luck to your DD Zel!

Enjoy your run Damaris!

i did 7 miles for the first time ever this morning with my club! Big grin Finished feeling good, my last mile was my fastest (9:44). Club members are now trying to put crazy ideas in my head, like a 15k at the end of the month or a half that a bunch of them are running May 4th. Given my injury history I will probably continue to be conservative and not actually participate, but it feels pretty great to have completing those longer events be semi-realistic goals now Smile

GinnyinPA

Z - Good luck to your daughter.  I hope you all have fun.

Damaris - I bet you are so happy to be running again, finally.  Hope it doesn't hurt.

Lauren - you have time - you could probably do either or both races.  From 7 to 9 isn't that big a jump in three weeks.  I liked the 15k distance.  And in two months, you could be ready for the HM.  Do you have to sign up in advance, or can you wait until the day of the race?

AFM:  Rest day here, which is nice after getting up much too early to help with registration at the HM.  Small turnout, about 230, but given the brutal winter, that is probably not all that surprising.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't spend a lot of time running hills in the snow/ice.  DH volunteered to help too, so we left soon after the racers took off and gave Ben his morning walk at the park where he got a chance to play with a young lab in the dog park.  Brunch followed, so now I'm ready for a nap.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Busy day here. Older DD is taking the SAT and then has a track meet. DW is off running 13 miles, other DD is at swim practice, I just ran a super easy 4 and will work the triple jump pit at the track meet, and then LA Marathon tomorrow. Smile

Have a good weekend.

From the Internet.

Z - Good luck to your daughter.  I hope you all have fun.

Damaris - I bet you are so happy to be running again, finally.  Hope it doesn't hurt.

Lauren - you have time - you could probably do either or both races.  From 7 to 9 isn't that big a jump in three weeks.  I liked the 15k distance.  And in two months, you could be ready for the HM.  Do you have to sign up in advance, or can you wait until the day of the race?

AFM:  Rest day here, which is nice after getting up much too early to help with registration at the HM.  Small turnout, about 230, but given the brutal winter, that is probably not all that surprising.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't spend a lot of time running hills in the snow/ice.  DH volunteered to help too, so we left soon after the racers took off and gave Ben his morning walk at the park where he got a chance to play with a young lab in the dog park.  Brunch followed, so now I'm ready for a nap.

Hm.. I guess that is only another 2 miles, isn't it.. and I've been putting in 6+ long runs really consistently for the last several weeks so it's not like I'm trying to start from nothing. The registration fee is reasonable too - only $25.  For the HM I can wait and register at the expo or on race day. Maybe I won't dismiss the idea so quickly after all Smile

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I might have to check out the robots.  My race was an epic fail...lol

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hi Pengs!!!   We are finally on our way home.  We had a great time in FL and the cruise.   I am working on the RR, so I'll post it, hopefully tomorrow.   We did finish at a slow 2:31, but we had a great time.

GinnyinPA

I might have to check out the robots.  My race was an epic fail...lol

What happened?  Too much snow/ice?

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

There were just a ton of hills, and it snowed hard all day.  They salted the roads, but it just made them slush.  I had good footing with the screws, but heavy feet from being soaked.  The hills were killing me.  This race is usually won with a high 16 or low 17.  The winner today ran a mid 18.  So, I don't feel TOO bad, but I didn't even place well in my AG.  Oh well.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Sorry to hear this, Awood!

I ran 4 miles today.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Amazonian Princess

YAYY! WTG, Docket 

Zelanie - we saw about the last 20 minutes of live feed last night then DH pulled up YouTube videos to explain the scoring. Hope DD did well and enjoyed herself!

Hi, Lauren! Congrats on the 7!

Ginny - I'm sorry you didn't get to race the HM. I understand needing to be ready for it so you can have the experience you want. When it happens, you'll be amazing!

Jack - enjoy the LA marathon! Love to hear if there are any celebrity sightings (besides Hulk runnin' wild!)

Awood - Sorry the race wasn't great; points for doing it in snow and ice!

Jerry - welcome back! Thought of you last week when the company I work for was looking for volunteers for the Oakland Running Festival. Unfortunately, it's the same day as DH's birthday so I need to keep looking.

AFM - plans for long run were deferred until Sunday because DH reminded me how far behind we are in household tasks, so, Christmas stuff is back in storage, checking account balanced, laundry dropped off, fridge and pantry restocked and all that other boring crap done! Made time to buy some Adrenaline 14's (Ravennas felt too laterally mooshy and Transcend aren't available in wide width) and ordered a R8 massage roller. And, I signed up for a 5k next weekend that offers on-course Gatorade margaritas 

I can. I will. I am. 

Zelanie

is back in business!

DD had a good time, I think.  They made it to the semi-finals.  In one of their quarter-final matches, their alliance apparently got the highest single-round score that anybody has gotten nationally so far (306).   They managed to catch a pass from their teammate from over the trestle, and score it into the high goal, twice.  In the next round, the other team played defense, boo!

Their next tournament is in about a month.

We didn't get home until late and it was pouring rain the whole way home.  But I had miles to run, so I ran.  It was so wet that rain was getting into the sleeves of my rainjacket and sloshing around in there, and I had to keep dumping the sleeves out.  But it was just a 4 miler, and it wasn't cold at all.  In the end, I'm glad I got out there and got the miles in.