Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins have inquiring minds... (Read 40 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Yo, Pens...

All right today?

hog: I have been absent lately. Did you get a new puppy? DW and I think puppies are harder than kids. Smile

Jerry: Go for the LR!!

PF: Let me guess, it's the "storm of the century!" or "Storm watch, 2013!"

Docket: Where are you going on vacation and are you running a marathon there?

Zel: You haven't learned that summer committees are bad? Tsk, tsk...

Scotty: Sounds like a fun run! I hope your tour of the Y's going well.

Bin: I hope DS is better. It's hard when they get sick.

Bacon: Just do your run/walks at your pace and let her do her thing.

J.Drumm: I bet your race on July 4th will be fun. Eugene is a cool town.

kristin: Good luck on Saturday. You will be fine!

Lauren: Progress!! Smile

As for me, I ran 5 miles this morning at a 7:58 pace. I ran with DD and a friend of hers and they took off at a 7:20 clip after the first mile. Needless to say, I didn't see them after that.

Have a good day, Pens.

GinnyinPA

Jack - so much for running WITH your daughter.  Oh well, it was a fast run anyway.

Mitch - I'm glad the pup is feeling better.  Achy going up stairs?  Isn't that normal?  I hope the knee continues to heal.

Jerry - hope you and your wife enjoy your evening run.

Margo - the storm hit here early this morning - lots of noise, but the rain didn't last long.  Enjoy the RD.

Damaris - have fun in SF.

Scotty - you do manage to have adventurous runs.  Hope you weren't hurt by the fall.  Is your chest congestion all gone?

Zelanie - hope the knee behaves today.

Baconista - I think you handled the situation well:  just keep doing your own thing and let her figure it out.  It's like running with kids.  They don't want to run a steady pace, just sprint as fast as they can for the fun of it, then recover and do it again.  You can argue about it, or just let them learn on their own.

Bin - I hope your son is feeling better.

Jeff - is your race a trail race?  That's some climb.

Kristin - good luck on your race.

Lauren - I hope the knee behaved.

Dad on the run.

3 miles tonight. Going to wait until it starts getting dark, it was just way to hot yesterday during our run. Might shoot for a solid tempo run. Also doing day 7 of 30DS tonight, its going pretty good, can definitely tell a difference from when we started.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

hog4life

Bacon, one other thought is to suggest she slows down so she doesn't need to walk as often.

Jack, she is a Doberman, we got her at 6 weeks old, and she just turned 1 year old. She got pretty sick the last few weeks, lost some weight, UTI infection, but she is finally getting better. I learned at the vet on Monday, that dogs can have fever, I didn't know that.

SheCan

Morning friends!

Mitch-- yay, I'm glad your baby is doing well, and is back to playing.

Hi ya Awood, Jerry!

Margo-- good planning.  Enjoy your rest day and stay safe.  I sure hope it's not a totally whopper.

Docket-- is this your SF weekend then?

Zelanie-- woooohooo@ school being out.  Hope you are able to start your weekend.  Good luck with that knee tonight.  Glad you got a thumbs up with the therapist.

Scotty-- wow@ your adventurous run.  I'm so glad that deer didn't end up kicking you when she got startled.  That storm must have been quite a big one.  There wasn't any more flooding, was there?

Baconista-- Sounds like you were at least civil to your co-worker.  Years back a girl at the gym did that to me (I didn't know her)  but I found it super frustrating.  Just keep doing your thing, and keeping the right pace for you.

Jeff-- 500 in the first mile is huge.  I think runs like that are more interesting and fun though.  Hope you're getting excited for it.

kristin-- ohhh taper time!  Can't wait to read your RR.

Lauren-- good for you for playing it safe.  Sounds like a good plan for increasing your miles without getting hurt.

Jack-- you and your whole family are total speed demons.  I should try to mimic you more, but i swear, I'm just too lazy!

*waves @ Ginny*  Hey you!

Jimmy-- Hi ya!  Hope you get your miles in tonight.  During the summer its best to get them whenever you can.  Plus it's kinda nice for it to get progressively cooler as you run as opposed to hotter.

I didn't get out until after 7:00 this morning.  Thankfully there was a bit of a breeze and that seemed to make all the difference.  Did 10m came in, grabbed a cool drink, and went back out for a bit over 3 more.

Was looking at the news website and saw all those fires in Colorado Springs, yikes!  We're going to be going there in a bout a week & 1/2.  So many houses destroyed so far.  I sure hope they are able to get it under control soon.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Amazonian Princess

This penguin has an inquiring mind: what's your favorite food-based guilty pleasure? Mine's Cajun fries from Five Guys and since I'm having salad for lunch, I'm thinking about them pretty hard Big grin

I can. I will. I am. 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sorry about the missed run, Bin. Hope your little one is feeling better.

Baconista,  some people you just can't tell stuff too, they have to learn for themselves.  I bet she will learn after a while and end up telling you that you were so right!  Meanwhile,  you just do your thing and let her do hers.

If the Big Storm does get there, Margo, stay safe!

Yeah, Jeff, lol, I guess I have animal magnetism... Joking  I need to get up to Oregon someday, do a race up there, I have a good friend there who is a runner.  A much better one than I am...which is about true for just about all other runners, lol.  I guess what I lack in talent, I make up for in enthusiasm.

Good luck with the race, Kristin!  What's the race goal?  Besides making sure to post race photos for me, I mean. Wink

Congrats on your run, Lauren, and on your progress!

So they left you in the dust, Jack?  How rude!  Wink  Yeah, the run was fun.  I tend to keep my sense of humor about things and thankfully have the ability to laugh at myself.  So most of my runs, even the adventurous ones, turn out quite all right for me.  And besides, it's my own darn fault, I get myself into these situations, I can't blame anyone else. So might as well laugh about it.

Good luck with the dusk run, Jimmy!  Wear you reflective gear, watch out for crazy drivers.

I'm so glad that deer didn't end up kicking you when she got startled.   It was just a small thing, Cherie, not even full grown yet, I think.  Thank goodness!  Yeah, our storm was crazy for a few hours last night....wild blowing winds, thunder, lightning, torrential rain coming down.  Several roads did get flooded.  Glad I was already home before it started! One nice thing about working 7 am - 4 pm, I'm usually home before the rush-hour stuff starts, and the rain did not start yesterday until 5:30 pm, thankfully.    Congrats on your run.  Saw the Arizona temps on the Weather Channel.  Yikes!   It's even 'blazing' first thing in the morning!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Apropos of inquiring minds, I was sitting at the office eating lunch and my mind was wandering with some random thoughts, like...

Why does ESPN report on golf when it's not a sport?  Wink

How come no one has made a racing flat /racing shoe called Shoe Fly?

The use of the word 'deodorant' in Texas:  "Look here, dis ant is going one way and deodorant is going the other way.."

If a cannibal is late for dinner does he get the cold shoulder from the others?

Sometimes at home, I suddenly pop out with something like this to Gail.  Her reaction is a pitying look, a slow shake of the head, and then saying "28 years together and I still can't figure out how your mind works."    lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Weekend started !!!  Another 6 miler today under 10:00, this time w/dw.  Chilly at start, but nice the rest of the run.  Even did some more  random repeats.

Busy weekend with Ravinia Outdoor Music Park on Saturday to see Mormon Tabernacle Choir.   Probably will be all alone as Stanley Cup will be at same time.  Great planning, but hopefully we will get home in time to see a few OT's.  Dinner with the girls on Sunday.

Scott, did you get lost again????  You need GPS.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I had to hit the road early today, but thought I'd kick us off to contribute.  Now, I need to get my run in.  YAY!  Catch ya later.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

BTW, I am getting addicted to a post run Kirkland Amber Ale.  Guess this is my response to Baconista's question.

Sloooow.

Quick check in! Miserable/wonderful mix of a day. In the shower this morning, I lifted my arms to to shampoo my hair, and pulled my back! WTF, haha. Dentist appointment for my 4 year old this morning (poor child was born with bad teeth) to find out they weren't doing the gas. Awful experience for both of us. Doctors appointment for the 2 year old who had to have 6 shots. Good parts, judge signed partners divorce, I'm no longer a mistress! Took the traumatised 4 year old to Build-a-Bear, she loved it. Rest day today.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I had that problem with the shampoo also, Coralie, but it kind of went down the drain.

GinnyinPA

Coralie - that was a hard day for all of you.  I hope your back feels better.

Cherie - good job running despite the heat. I hope the fires are out when you get up to Colorado.  Vacation or race?

I planned to do a tempo run today, but my husband had an errand downtown, so I went with him and ran around town.  There's a short rail trail I followed for a bit, then I circled Wilson College, then headed back to the beginning.  Total was six miles.  I ended up doing it as a fartlek, because parts were flat and easy, some was brick sidewalk so pretty slow, and I had to wait to cross roads a few times, so a consistent pace wasn't really possible.  It started to rain when I was at the far end, but since I was already soaked with sweat, I really didn't mind, and it never got serious.  It's always fun to go someplace different, and this was the first time I did a town run.  My usual is suburban neighborhoods or rural roads, with an occasional trail run for real fun.

Dad on the run.

No run tonight. My the time we got home from buying groceries it had started storming. That's ok though I will make the 3 miles Sunday.  At least I can still do the 30DS workout.

Went through the peanut butter isle at Walmart to see the white chocolate peanut butter that I have seen posted here a few times. OH. MY. GOD. That stuff is Devine. definitely don't need to keep that stuff in my house which I won't think will be a problem because it will probably be gone before the weekend is up.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.