Beginners and Beyond

Deep tissue massage (Read 75 times)

LRB

You people have too much money to burn.

It's funny how I never have anything extra to spare unless running is somehow involved!  It cost me $1,300.00 for PT in 2013 alone!  That is money I would have never spent on anything else.

Since a monthly massage was recommended by both my PT and sports doc as something that will enhance my running longevity, I gladly pay the $35 plus tip!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Gentle/swedish massages just don't do much for me. Deep tissue massages work magic on my muscles. Even with foam rolling, The Stick, stretching,yoga,  heat, my muscles get SO TIGHT and knotty....like hundreds of knots. If I haven't had deep tissue in awhile it starts to really hurt. After deep tissue my body feels magical again and I can run pain free. I would probably write this off as a bad experience maybe not something inherent to massages or deep tissue massage. I've had a massage therapist hurt me once....got a pretty bad cut from her fingernail. It happens, massage therapists are still human. It is really scary and unfortunate to consider the possibility to get hurt during a massage but for me the risk is worth what I get out of it.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Maybe my Swedish massages are really deep tissues because they are not soft either.  The deep tissues I have gotten provide me with more pain that pleasure during them.

If I had gotten a deep tissue in between marathons during that weekend's double, I wouldn't have been able to run the second marathon. Yet, the lady did a Swedish massage that left me with no soreness post marathon and ready to run a second one.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page