Beginners and Beyond

10 Sports Nutrition Myths (Read 202 times)

Just B.S.

Hubby experienced terrible cramping during two different marathons, both of which he was properly trained

for and was intaking fliuds adequately. Since that time, on the advice of our local marathon/tri coach and

following the lead of many of our local marathon running friends, we both sodium load in the days prior to

a marathon. He is a very heavy sweater but  has never experienced the issue again despite running other

marathons faster than the two where he experienced issues. Of course there could have been other factors

but we are both now firm believers in sodium loading.

"

6. Muscle cramps are caused by dehydration.

with the exception of one study showing that sodium-loading before prolonged exercise delayed the onset of cramping."

LRB

Yes, but you needed to read the whole article ... and in my opinion confidence improves performance ... therefore by the transitive property carbs improve performance. Case settled.

Hmm, I was confident that I would PR last weekend, until I met Mr Incline at the end of the race, doh!

Seriously though, it has long been proven that in some cases, if you believe that something you are doing or taking helps you, then it indeed may be doing just that.

#artbydmcbride

placebo effect!

I do believe tripping my competitors gave me more confidence!  Cool

Runners run

Hip Redux

Yes, but you needed to read the whole article ... and in my opinion confidence improves performance ... therefore by the transitive property carbs improve performance. Case settled. Wink

Endurance athletes as successful as six-time Ironman winner Dave Scott have never carbo loaded. That said, it does no harm, so if it gives you confidence, go ahead and carbo load.

Hooray!!  Donuts for everyone!

Sugar, because confidence!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Yes, but you needed to read the whole article ... and in my opinion confidence improves performance ... therefore by the transitive property carbs improve performance. Case settled. Wink

Endurance athletes as successful as six-time Ironman winner Dave Scott have never carbo loaded. That said, it does no harm, so if it gives you confidence, go ahead and carbo load.

I think race nutrition and hangover cures are a lot alike.... if you believe something works for you then it works Smile

Coincidentally my secret to successful races and secret to surviving hangovers are almost identical.... which is in the morning having the perfect proportion of coffee, water, and Gatorade, a bagel and a banana.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

I never pass up an excuse to carbo load.  That's probably why I'm so confident.

Auhugh!!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Confidence...........

Randy

LRB

Recovery drink.  Where's my cheese?

BruceD555

Recovery drink.  Where's my cheese?

LRB- Just to make sure you have the proper carb/protein ratio ... right?

redrum- Man! I don't generally have much of a taste for stuff like cinnamon rolls ... but dang that looks good right now!

Train smart ... race smarter.

bingo_jenn

I think race nutrition and hangover cures are a lot alike.... if you believe something works for you then it works Smile

Coincidentally my secret to successful races and secret to surviving hangovers are almost identical.... which is in the morning having the perfect proportion of coffee, water, and Gatorade, a bagel and a banana.

I've never made that connection, but mine is similar, too!!

Buelligan

I never drink Gatorade for what it's marketed for; as a sports drink,  but it's my go-to beverage for hangovers.  I also found out years ago when I was lifting weights pretty heavily that the supplement Creatine works wonders when mixed with Gatorade.

I only drink the original flavor Gatorade, the lemon/lime stuff.  It's the most Gatoradey.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Resident Historian

LedLincoln - I was about to link that series of article - which elegantly demolishes Gatorade "Science" on hydration and cramping.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I figure I eat enough carbs as it is every day so that's not necessary to ever carbo-load.  lol