Beginners and Beyond

Could The End Be Near? (Read 854 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

It's OK, they'll find a silly short-term bandaid to apply on Monday

I don't know how they did it, but its cleaned up today.  They have a sticky thread claiming that its an ongoing process.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Scroll down a little in the BF. It's still there, threads are just being bumped over the spam.

I don't know how they did it, but its cleaned up today.  They have a sticky thread claiming that its an ongoing process.

18 threads of spam on page one right now. Of course compared to the weekend I guess this would be considered cleaned up.

Camp Muir

It sucks. What about the option of allowing me or Marjorie or Moth to be moderators to cover the weekend? The problem would never have escalated as it has now if we were helping.

I absolutely agree docket.  I can't believe that they have not taken the obvious proactive steps that they could have taken. 

As for the "sticky note" claiming that they are attempting to "fix it" well I need a lot more than that at this point.  I need a major revision of the posting system that eliminates the spam.  And the new digs are fine so sorry RWOL - many of us are just done with you. 

I wonder if they'll even notice we are gone?

LRB

I absolutely agree docket.  I can't believe that they have not taken the obvious proactive steps that they could have taken. 

As for the "sticky note" claiming that they are attempting to "fix it" well I need a lot more than that at this point.  I need a major revision of the posting system that eliminates the spam.  And the new digs are fine so sorry RWOL - many of us are just done with you. 

I know who you are, but for those that do not, where is that familiar avatar of yours?

As for the spam, there is still pages upon pages upon pages of it and the only reason the first ten spots of the front page are not, is because the spammers must get an hour break for every eight hours worked per federal laws. 

xor

Yes, they will notice.  Actually, that'll be one of the first things they notice.

Now, it may surprise a lot of the BF to hear this but... they may not care, not really.  Yes, yall provided good traffic and theoretically eyeballs for ads.  But we don't know how much of a % rodale cares about those damn ads.  My bet is that they were trying out all the crazy ones (like that silly north face expanding ad) specifically because the ad buyers (aka, the companies) weren't seeing value for their bucks and so RWOL was trying different things to see what would work.  True enough, fewer eyeballs ensures that stuff won't "work".  But they may or may not care as much as you folks think they do.  The whole idea that they've crapped all over the forums for weeks with this upgrade and had "several" people working the issues tells me that they don't care all that much.

Here's the thing.  The area you departed from is the BEGINNERS forum.  Of all the various pieces of the RWOL message board, my bet is that beginners (see: the whole point of runners world) is the area that will backfill the quickest.  With more new-to-running folks.

What rodale may care MORE about... down the road... is the decreased traffic with their running log "upgrade".  A big piece of that seems to be about driving traffic to Training Peaks and encouraging people to upgrade for a fee.  Lower traffic kind of nukes that revenue potential.  For awhile.  And this is slightly more concrete than eyeballs/ad impressions.  Slightly.

Anyway.

runfoolery

Well, with the way pluck plucked threads, and the way thread necromancers always seemed to strike, surely one of our many 'get to running ahead forums!' threads will recur on a regular basis, and they'll continue to migrate here!

Smile

Jess runs for bacon

Yes, they will notice.  Actually, that'll be one of the first things they notice.

Now, it may surprise a lot of the BF to hear this but... they may not care, not really.  Yes, yall provided good traffic and theoretically eyeballs for ads.  But we don't know how much of a % rodale cares about those damn ads.  My bet is that they were trying out all the crazy ones (like that silly north face expanding ad) specifically because the ad buyers (aka, the companies) weren't seeing value for their bucks and so RWOL was trying different things to see what would work.  True enough, fewer eyeballs ensures that stuff won't "work".  But they may or may not care as much as you folks think they do.  The whole idea that they've crapped all over the forums for weeks with this upgrade and had "several" people working the issues tells me that they don't care all that much.

Here's the thing.  The area you departed from is the BEGINNERS forum.  Of all the various pieces of the RWOL message board, my bet is that beginners (see: the whole point of runners world) is the area that will backfill the quickest.  With more new-to-running folks.

What rodale may care MORE about... down the road... is the decreased traffic with their running log "upgrade".  A big piece of that seems to be about driving traffic to Training Peaks and encouraging people to upgrade for a fee.  Lower traffic kind of nukes that revenue potential.  For awhile.  And this is slightly more concrete than eyeballs/ad impressions.  Slightly.

Anyway.

I think you are correct sir. Actually I think all of the forums that got hit will backfill pretty quickly.

ZubenElGenubi

Semi-hiker; semi-runner

Howdy, folks!  I'm back from ten days in southern Utah (Zion and Bryce National Parks).  Posted a few pics on FB while I was away, but didn't visit RWOL until today.  I'm done.  Hope I'm welcome here.

One of the reasons I handed off the 20xx In 20xx Club was because of all the trouble I had trying to work with retrieving data and publishing in the forums.  Not to mention how difficult it got to just send simple communications to fellow members.

I'd almost be willing to try and start it up here if there's any interest.  I don't want to take it away from PeachY and Venomized (Angela and Doug), but this seems like a more stable platform and looks like it offers some nice, clean features.

xor

Before you do that, you might poke around the user groups.  I bet there are already similar game groups going on.  Even if you want to keep a BF-only miles thing going, you might get ideas from the existing groups on how to work it here more simply.

Howdy, folks!  I'm back from ten days in southern Utah (Zion and Bryce National Parks).  Posted a few pics on FB while I was away, but didn't visit RWOL until today.  I'm done.  Hope I'm welcome here.

One of the reasons I handed off the 20xx In 20xx Club was because of all the trouble I had trying to work with retrieving data and publishing in the forums.  Not to mention how difficult it got to just send simple communications to fellow members.

I'd almost be willing to try and start it up here if there's any interest.  I don't want to take it away from PeachY and Venomized (Angela and Doug), but this seems like a more stable platform and looks like it offers some nice, clean features.

Hello there!  Check out the "Hey Venomized" thread below from BaxDaddy.  Much talk and good information on the game and how this site should be easier to pull the data.  I think Eric, the site's owner, chimed in with info as well.

Good to see you.

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

I predict that the Gen Nut will keep it running as well as WL.

In transit, arriving on time. 

dallison

registered pw

the only thing i might go back for is the hrm/gps stuff unless i can find it here.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

BexKix, Bagel Defender

the only thing i might go back for is the hrm/gps stuff unless i can find it here.

What are you looking for, exactly?

clintmorningwood

18 threads of spam on page one right now. Of course compared to the weekend I guess this would be considered cleaned up.

The women's forum is even worse, 182 pages of straight spam as of yesterday