Beginners and Beyond

Wha cha doing TuesDAILIES? (Read 40 times)

Docket_Rocket

Andrea, I go once a month.  Not sure if there are any benefits of going once a week but I would if I could!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

I go for a massage once a week when I am having a flare up of whatever is ailing me at the moment, but otherwise I go about every 3-4 weeks for maintenance.

7.5 easy.

I am watching the best part of winter:  Lake Erie freezing over.  Buh-bye lake effect!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I figure I'll go next week and the following, then change it to something like every 3-4 weeks.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

workinprogress11

7 treadmill miles.  Zzzzzzzz......

LRB

Anyways, the massage went great, I felt really comfortable with her and liked the trigger point massage though she found like 6 knots in my upper back and a couple in my neck, one or two in my arms and a few in my legs. I actually feel great, a little light headed for the 20 minutes afterwards but I've been drinking water. I don't really feel like drinking any alcohol so no worries there.

I've already scheduled for another hour appointment next Thursday, LRB how often do you go? I figure after a few weekly sessions I can change it to every other week maybe, especially after any races.

I get a massage 48 - 24 hours before a race, so about every two weeks once the race season is up and running (March through October).

I had knots in my upper back and arms but those were gone after about 4 sessions. My hip and shoulder joints were stiff and did not move or flow freely and my lower back was always a mess (a direct result of tight hamstrings, imagine that), and all have been rectified.

For me, massage therapy is like an interactive foam-rolling session.  I tell her what hurts, is tight or feels weird and she fixes it. Otherwise, if nothing is amiss it is basically like getting an oil change, filter and fluid top-off for your car, only it is maintenance for the body.

These people are intuitive and believe in the body's ability to heal or right itself. I cannot say with any certainty that it helps me race faster or better, but I can say without a doubt that there is a benefit there for runners and non-runners alike.