Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Loteria 5K (Read 23 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

THE DETAILS

• My 45th race of 2014
    • Held at University of Incarnate Word (UIW), with a portion of the proceeds supporting the university's running teams
    • Start time 8 a.m.  Weather:  Hot and muggy!  Almost 80 degrees at start time, humidity in the 90 percentile, and dew-point of 76
    • I finished in 35:07.  I was happy with this time, especially considering I'd had a synvisc injection in my right knee on Thursday.

BEFORE THE START

Arrived at UIW campus with about 45 minutes to start time. Had already gotten my bib and chip at Friday's packet pick-up, so went around and got some pre-start photos.

B.I.S.H. Foundation had a truck-and-table there advertising their upcoming Fall Santa Claus 5K.  I did this one last year and it is a heckuva fun event with a good course and LOTS of post-race goodies and activities.   There are several Santa events in San Antonio, but this one is by far the best of them all.   If you get a chance, definitely do this one.

iaapweb.com was also there for early registration of Dia De Los Muertos (Day of the Dead) night-time run, another GREAT and fun event.

I got a photo with one of the lovely lady advertisers for this one...

You could also get your face photo taken with this image and various others

and you could get a 'backdrop' photo

Lots of folks in costume...starting with our lovely RD, Ceci...

Her "other half"...Che Gueverra

...and more.....

"El Mundo" ("The World" - not sure I spelled the spanish right)

A few other pre-start folks

For all you old-timers who can remember:  doesn't that guy waving behind the ladies look like that guy that played Alejandro in the TV show "The Flying Nun"?  

My speedy pal, Bernadette

ON THE COURSE

We started in the parking lot behind the university natatorium building; went behind the baseball field; then onto an off-road trail; a bit more pavement after that; a second trail; back on paved roads, making our way around campus to a turn-around point; then a small out-and-back near the university football field; then back to the finish the way we had come out (trail, patch of pavement, trail, behind the baseball field, and finish at natatorium building).

My first walk break/photo shoot was on one of the trails we came out on.

Looking back the way I'd just come

On the 2nd trail we did going out

Next walk break/photo shoot near the football field.  We ran through an underpass, with football field bleachers above us.

I'm still going to the turn-around point, this little doggie is already heading to the finish.  I've done 4 of the same races with this doggie and he beat me every time.

Looking back the way I'd just come - the the lady in red is 'floating".  After making the turn-around point,  you were at Mile 2 when you came back and got to where that guy in the green safety vest was standing.

Normally for a 5K I do 2 walk breaks and then run the rest of the way in.  But today my injected knee was nagging me a bit, so I took an extra walk break for this one, on the first trail we did coming out, which was now the 2nd trail we did going back.

After that, I ran nonstop to the finish.   I was even surprised that I managed to pass 6 people on the way.   Crossed the line at 35:38 gun time, 35:07 chip time.

AFTER THE FINISH

My first stop post-race.....

Oh yeah!

My friend told me to 'put my best foot forward."  He thought it was funny I was holding a beer and my socks had a beer-filled mug on them....which is hard to see here, but it's that 'yellow logo" on the side of my sock there.

Another popular post-race stop...popsicles!  These things were good too, and hit the spot after a warm-day race.

There was also several kinds of breakfast tacos, one of which is modeled here by this lovely lady

"Happy Finishers" etc...

Me and "The World" guy.  For this race he carried the whole world on his shoulders for the entire distance

This guy tried to take on the world...

Me and Bernadette.  She was having some back issues, but managed to finish in 27 minutes and got 2nd in her age group.  She also did a VERY hilly 4.7 mile race on Saturday, Aug 9, and is wearing the shirt from that race

oops...gotta get the 'great legs" in of the ladies above...

The platoon kept on growing...

I was drafted!

These young ladies - the one sitting in stroller and the one in front of her - I've done a few of the same events with them and their parents.  I keep telling these 2 young ladies not to make me look bad out there but they just ignore me and continue to beat me in the same races we do. 

The little dog that always beats me, and family.  Apparently 'speedy' runs in the family, two of them got age group awards.  Hmmm...maybe I should have someone run me on a leash....

A few of the great officers that were out there for us for this event.  Thanks for your service!

Wait..I had to get another photo of them, I didn't realize there was a pretty one too.  Doesn't she make the photo look so much better?

EPILOG

Loteria, btw, is 'Mexican Bingo."  I told RD Ceci that I don't know how to pronounce Loteria - is it low-tur-ree-a...or is it low-tear-ree-a...or what.  I am really terrible at learning languages other than English - when I was in the Air Force and heading to overseas assignments about the only thing I learned to say in another language was "Don't shoot, I know secrets!"    Ceci told me, "Scotty, you can just say Bingo".  I said "Yeah, but we're in San Antonio, lots of retired folks here...if I say 'Bingo' too loudly I might get run over by a rush of senior citizens."

Well, however it's pronounced, Loteria 5K is one of my most fun events of the year.  Lots of post-race goodies, lots of  costumes, lots of friendly participants, nice location - close to where I live so I can sleep in a bit longer!    Very original race bibs, and very original - and nice quality - tech tee race shirts too.  This one is definitely a keeper on my race calendar each year.   The only thing I'd change - since it's done in HOT August - is maybe make the start time a bit earlier!  A later time in hot weather is hard on a fat old guy like me who sweats excessively!    However, when all is said and done - kudos to the folks at iaapweb.com who put this event on!  And mucho thanks to all the sponsors out there for us too.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

Another nice run.

happylily

Now I will never be at peace until I know how to pronounce loteria. It will haunt me for the rest of my days. Thanks, Scotty. 

Some great outfits and pictures! And it looked like a nice course. But did I see something about a Santa Claus 5k?  It's way too early for that!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I can teach you, Lily.  For now, just remember the i has an accent and that's where the accent in the pronunciation goes.

Great RR, Scotty!

Damaris

happylily

I can teach you, Lily.  For now, just remember the i has an accent and that's where the accent in the pronunciation goes.

Great RR, Scotty!

Accents like in French! Spanish is a beautiful language.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Cyberic

That looks like a fun race! Great pics!

Zelanie

"loh-tear-EEEyuh" is about the closest I can come to spelling the pronunciation in English.  Hope that is helpful.  I'm sure D could do a better job.

Nice race and pics, by the way!  There are some great costumes for this one!

B-Plus

Add another t to loteria and that's a burger joint in japan. Great shirt!