Beginners and Beyond

Bring on the Friday Penguins (Read 30 times)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Mornin' everyone.  Ready for the weekend?

RD for me yesterday.  I'm going to try to run after work.  But, off to work I go.

Later!

Bin Running

Morning Vance..

All ready for weekend.. RD for me today.. Was to run 3M recovery but heavy rain make sleeping in too hard to resist...

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Good morning guys!

Nope...I'm not ready for the weekend.  I'm going to run another 7 miles tonight, and then I'm going to take one more shower before I completely dismantle that area of the bathroom.  I've gutted a bathroom, and even built one from scratch.  This is the first time that I've gutted and rebuilt only HALF of a bathroom.  It has to be back together and functional by Sunday night though.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Bin Running

Awood, you are such a handyman... Take some before/after pic will ya..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I called out of work today because I felt like it. I have a bunch of errands to run, I am going away for the weekend, I had a little too much wine at dinner with my girl friends last night, and I have 3 sick days left and I'm leaving my job in late May. So....seemed like a good day to take off, especially with the funk I've been in all week. I might try my long run today instead of trying to get up early tomorrow morning, because my boyfriend is coming up tonight and then we are heading up to Connecticut for a wedding and have to leave fairly early tomorrow morning. I will decide about the LR after the wine induced headache wears off. Have a great Friday!!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Bin - I'll see what I can do.  The shower really is the worst part of the bathroom.  The rest of the bathroom has been redone already.  I'm a little scared of what I'm going to find when I tear the shower out.  I am 99% sure that I'm going to find water in the walls.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Philliefan33

Good morning, TGIF!

Vance -- good morning

Bin -- good evening

Kristin -- perfect rationale for taking a mental health day.  Sometimes we all need a day to catch up on life.  And get out for that LR (or at least a MLR) -- you'll feel better.  The weather is going to be great, I think.

Awood -- good luck with the shower rehab.  In some ways it is better to have a deadline, so the work gets done.  We are in the process of replacing the tile backsplash in our kitchen.  The old tiles were torn off in January....have yet to put the new ones up.  I'm sort of getting used to the look of unfinished drywall.

AFM -- No running today or tomorrow.  I'll probably do some shopping with the DD's.  I don't like shopping, but I need some clothes and the D's have better fashion sense then me.

hog4life

Margo, don't overdo the shopping as to get your legs and feet all achy. Eat good tomorrow and start hydrating today.

Awood, I would like to have the know how for home projects like that.

Vance, have a good day.

Kristin, get that run in today, that's what I'm doing.

AFM, sitting at the dentist with DW, I've got the schnauzers with me and will b dropping them off for a haircut here shortly. When we get home, I'll do my LR and the take a nap for tonight's night shift.

Philliefan33

Margo, don't overdo the shopping as to get your legs and feet all achy. Eat good tomorrow and start hydrating today.

Don't worry -- my patience wears out long before my legs.  One or two stores is my limit -- I am definitely not a power shopper.

Thanks for the hydration reminder -- I'll push a little extra through today.  Last night was a less-than-stellar dinner...pizza followed by zucchini bread.  But I called in carb loading.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, I was a bit depressed  and frustrated after my Dermatology appointment yesterday because they found a couple of things  'suspicious looking' so I had to go back this morning so they could dig it out and send everything off to see if it is melanoma.  So after my appointment yesterday, since I was already at the hospital at Fort Sam Houston, I went over to the housing area and ran the biggest hills there are on Fort Sam Houston.  My route took me for 3.7 miles as I worked my way across the housing area, going up and down some pretty fair-sized hills.  Just what the doctor ordered!  Literally, lol.  My Dermatologist doc is a runner too and he told me "I know this news is frustrating for you, given your history; so go run, it will make you feel better, help you get things into perspective."   He was right, of course, and I thanked him this morning when I saw him again.  After my run, I felt mucho better and my post-run thought process went like.... "Well, hell, I just had one very STRONG, very GOOD run.  I AM strong!  So if it IS melanoma, at least they are catching it early; and I've beat this before; I can do it again."  I called Gail post-run and told her what was going on, and she was like "Snap out of it, you idiot!  You've been through worse than this!  You and I both know you are going to get through this, like you've gotten through so much before.  So shut up, QUIT WHINING,  and just keep living your life."  lol.  I LOVE THIS WOMAN!  so supportive, gets right to the heart of things!  Big grin  So I felt very positive again, thank goodness; I really hate myself when I go into my 'pity-party mode", lol.  Wounded Warriors all around me at Fort Sam, doing their thing, rehabbing, etc, also helped.   What the hell do I have to complain about?  Also, I may get lucky and it may be nothing at all.  So why am I fretting about what has not happened yet? So, one day at a time, it is what it is, and I shall deal with whatever comes, as POSITIVELY as I can.   My apologies for my outburst of venting here, but I consider y'all my running 'family"...and if you can't vent once in a while to family, then who can you vent to?  Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Morning!  I bet you guys can't guess what I'll be doing later!  Walking!  Still, it's been nice.  The weather has been absolutely gorgeous and I've gotten to spend more time with DH and the doggies.  So there's that.  Hopefully I will remember to make the time to walk with them even when I'm back to running.

Vance- Hope you have a good run later!

Bin- We'll call you "Bin Sleepy"!

Awood- Good luck with the bathroom project!

kristin- Enjoy the mental health day!  I love getting my LRs in when I have a day off.  It feels like a treat.  Hope you get to run later.

Margo- Hope you find some good stuff when you're shopping!  My DD has a good eye for that stuff too.

Mitch- Schnauzers at the dentist sounds like a recipe for disaster!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Sorry for being late but work has been busy.  I did 5 miles this morning since today is jeans Friday.  Weights if I have time later tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Scotty- One of the things that amazes me is how positive you are about everything you have going on, whether it's your hernia, or your arthritis, or whatever.  I know you must have bad days when you feel too stiff to get out and run, but I never hear about them.  You are seriously tough.

So now I know you're human like the rest of us. Smile  Seriously, though, I am impressed by your resilience and attitude.  And whatever comes back from the lab, you know you can beat it!  Never give up!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hope you get your miles in Vance!

Enjoy the RD, bin!  Yeah, rainy weather is perfect sleeping-in weather, lol.

You are quite the handyman, Awood!  I'm jealous..I can't even hammer a nail in straight, lol.  Good luck with the projects!

AFM:  I have a long Saturday.  My 5K in the morning is in Fredericksburg - about a 90 minute drive from San Antonio - so will have to get up early to get there by 8 a.m. start time.  Then drive back home...then probably nap, lol - and then I have the Fandango Fun Run 2.6 miles at 6:45 PM.   So probably won't be around much tomorrow; plan to post all the photos that ya'll know I take at my events sometime on Sunday.  The Fandango run always has lots of folks in costume, so should be some very colorful photos!

Enjoy the rest days, Margo...even if they do include shopping.  That counts as x-training, you know, since you'll probably do a lot of walking. Big grin   And also exercises your patience, as you mentioned.

Hope you get your miles in Mitch.  Your schnauzers had to go to the dentist? Wink

This is a shocking turn of events...Damaris turning into a morning runner!  Joking

Happy walking, Zelanie!  Thanks for the kind words.  I'm not so tough, actually.  Now, those Wounded Warriors I know...those folks are SERIOUSLY tough!   And that lady from Vermont that got injured in Boston..her last name is Abbot, I think....while waiting to see the doc yesterday I watched her on TV giving an interview...she had part of her leg amputated...and yet was SO positive and she and her doc were telling reporters they were getting a rehab plan in place so she could do Boston again next year with her prosthetic leg.  She really handled herself well at the interview.  Now,  SHE is tough.  Seriously tough!   I am a big wimp, lol, compared to these folks.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt