Beginners and Beyond

Chilmark Road Race 5K RR (Read 96 times)

nolamama

CQTM

Nice race Baboon!! Congrats on the PR. It really is outstanding how well your recovery is coming along.

Trail Monster

I'm going to your knee surgeon and asking for some bionic legs too! Nice work B!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

delicate flower

Congrats on the PR.  It's amazing how when everything hurts and burns, if we just don't quit running, our pace doesn't really drop.

So, here's a question...does the fact that all the XT and strength training you did for rehab seems to have improved your performance change the way you go about training down the road?

Well my doc told me if I want to keep up with my volume of running, I need to work more XT and strength training into my schedule in order to strengthen the muscles and take some of load off the knee joint.  So, the only thing I'll be changing is that addition of XT and weights.

As far as my post-surgery performances go, I think that's just a product of speed work.  Really, for the first two years I was running (prior to the injury) I focused on volume without doing a lot of speed work.  That was great for my marathon time, good for my HM time, but didn't do anything to my 5K and 10K time.  I finally started doing some speed training in December, set a 5K PR, then blew my knee out.  Once I got the ok from my doc to start running again, I started up with the speed workouts and my training and race times are reflecting that.  Obviously though I am progressing much faster than I expected.

<3

LRB

As far as my post-surgery performances go, LRB said I was a fuckin' Boss, and for once, I actually agree with him.

FYP.

delicate flower

FYP.

Well there is that.  Big grin

<3

runwell3

Great run & great report, Phil...congratulations on qualifying u35 for Manchester; it'll be a little less crowded heading up Highland St..  Are you & mbc both planning to run that day?

delicate flower

Great run & great report, Phil...congratulations on qualifying u35 for Manchester; it'll be a little less crowded heading up Highland St..  Are you & mbc both planning to run that day?

Thanks, runwell!  Yes, we are both going to run it.  It'll be our first time.

<3

workinprogress11

Great job!  Congratulations on the PR!

I swear, if I need knee surgery I'm going to your doctor.

SheCan

WTG you!   You're back and you're killin' it.  Congratulations!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Ric-G

great racing on a tough course...continued progress and even better times are ahead...congrats!

marathon pr - 3:16

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Dang, Phil, that is one heckuva hilly looking  course!   Congrats on your PR and good luck with your upcoming 10K!

Since this was on Martha's Vineyard, I hope they had some liquid of the grapes waiting for you post-race...you sure earned it!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

delicate flower

Dang, Phil, that is one heckuva hilly looking  course!   Congrats on your PR and good luck with your upcoming 10K!

Since this was on Martha's Vineyard, I hope they had some liquid of the grapes waiting for you post-race...you sure earned it!

Just water, bananas, and some much appreciated ice towels.  Big grin  We went out for fish tacos after then hit up the local peach festival.  I had peach shortcake.  Smile   

<3

LRB

I had peach shortcake.  Smile   

For a million years peaches were my favorite fruit, then nectarines took over.  But they don't make much of anything with nectarines in it.

tinman11

The guy in the red shirt needs a map.  Looks like he's headed sideways.

Good job!

Looking forward to seeing how you do on a flat course now.