Beginners and Beyond

So, are we gonna stick with our clan, or move out into the general forums? (Read 402 times)

xor

And yes, please do all the 1,000 RWOL chat/dailies thread in here.  You might think these would be interesting to the bigger population.  They aren't, for real.  They might become interesting over time to a few folks as RAers get to know you.  If so, they will find them.

Also, RA is a smaller group but it contains A TON of experienced runners.  I mentioned that in other threads... you have access to some very experienced, very fast runners here.  Who also coach.  You had that on RWOL too, but it is a different group here.  And having access to people's running logs is one of the secret weapons that makes things easier here.

Please by all means mingle and ask running stuff.

delicate flower

And please try not to take it out on the natives.  Most of them/us were just minding their/our own business when the Spanish Armada showed up. 

This has crossed my mind too.  It's got to be a little bit of forum culture shock to suddenly have hundreds of new members running around your house, many of which haven't wiped their feet and don't use coasters.

<3

I agree with those saying we should keep the chat, dailies, etc. here in our user group.  I think we should try to be respectful of the established culture in the "outside" groups.  The members here have been pretty welcoming to us considering.  And Eric has certainly gone out of his way to be welcoming towards us. 

I have lurked around the main running-related forums and there are some very good and very experienced runners out there.  I definitely would not be afraid to pick their brains with running questions.  Of course, you can always ask running questions here as well if you prefer.

Also surf through some of the other user groups - there seem to be lots of interesting special interest groups and some are pretty active.

The more time I spend here, the more I like this site.

Shakedown Street

A very very wise CSM once told me that "when your in a new place...don't force your beliefs on the people, or you will be soup"

My 2 cents, keep the 'tradition' stuff on this 'island', when leaving, participate, be nice, and have fun, but blend in with the natives.

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

sugnim

Being an immigrant is confusing.  At least we have our ethnic community to be our unwashed selves in until we learn the lingo & currency rate.

I hope there will be at least some market for our dancing bananas in this strange new land.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Here's the thing.  The main forums, Running 101, General Running, Gears & Wears, etc., even including Off the Beaten Path, work best for specific topics that elicit a few days discussion, then fade off to make way for new topics.  If there is something there that never leaves, and an RA member just isn't interested, then, yes, it is spammish.  User groups, OTOH, are perfect for the enduring threads.  Those who are interested can join the group, and see it every day on their home page.  They are out of sight of everyone else.

Please feel free to venture out of your clan's digs and contribute posts in the Big Scary World.  We like that.

xor

FWIW, there are a few of us who have held dual citizenship for many many years.  In my case, for more years than most of you have been on BF. By far.

It can be useful to have a translator, when needed.  In both cultures.

delicate flower

I found the cycling forum.  I have always been a cyclist first, runner second (well, at least in the 18 months I've been running).  I guess I'll give it some time before posting in there....they seem to be a tight knit bunch.  And I thought runners hate cyclists so it was interesting to see that forum even exists. 

<3

Docket_Rocket

I agree that we should respect their wishes.  Keep everything in here and if you have a running question that you would like answered by experienced runners, put it in one of the general forums.  That way, we keep our "BF" and they keep their original forum.  No need to take over; we're not Spain Big grin.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

I agree that we should respect their wishes.  Keep everything in here and if you have a running question that you would like answered by experienced runners, put it in one of the general forums.  That way, we keep our "BF" and they keep their original forum.  No need to take over; we're not Spain Big grin.

Actually, I am in Spain, on vacation for the next two weeks.

xor

I found the cycling forum.  I have always been a cyclist first, runner second (well, at least in the 18 months I've been running).  I guess I'll give it some time before posting in there....they seem to be a tight knit bunch.  And I thought runners hate cyclists so it was interesting to see that forum even exists. 

Although I can't claim to know much about how well it works because I no cycle, the RA log can be used for other activities including cycling.  There are a number of avid cyclists here, though we still have the same comet topic threads about why cyclists suck etc etc.

Another thought is to maybe create a dailies and/or penguins group, making it easier for the explorers to find. I think it might promote some mixing of the natives with the immigrants. As it is now, the dailies and penguins are just threads in this user group that may not attract outside interest. JM2C. Willis

Jess runs for bacon

Actually, I am in Spain, on vacation for the next two weeks.

Really? Can I ask you a favor?

Please take pics of yummy food. Thanks!

MrNamtor

Really? Can I ask you a favor?

Please take pics of yummy food. Thanks!

Am I the only one who hates the food in Spain? All greasy seafood. Can't even get a salad without some stinky fish in it. At least when I was in Madrid that's how it was.

sugnim

Am I the only one who hates the food in Spain? All greasy seafood. Can't even get a salad without some stinky fish in it. At least when I was in Madrid that's how it was.

Sounds delicious!  I love fish.